Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: best 303 ammo

Ok thanks . Im just watching utube with how to reload.
    Patience Is A Virtue

Quote Originally Posted by Manchester View Post
    Attachment 173104

Guncity cheap ammo is always exciting
    Mate had some misfires with some Greek last weekend and one also went off and then lodged about 3 inches in front of the chamber. Thank goodness he heard it. It was a lucky escape.

When he got home he pulled a couple and the powder was wet. I told him to take it back and if they refused a refund to report them for selling dangerous ammo.

Seems they have been cleaning it in a concrete mixer or similar to remove all the crud. Some of it looks crappy and is really black. I would hate to imagine what it was like before if other concrete mixer treatment. They are obviously getting low on supply and selling off the very worst of the Greek.

Quote Originally Posted by omark View Post
    Mate had some misfires with some Greek last weekend and one also went off and then lodged about 3 inches in front of the chamber. Thank goodness he heard it. It was a lucky escape.

When he got home he pulled a couple and the powder was wet. I told him to take it back and if they refused a refund to report them for selling dangerous ammo.

Seems they have been cleaning it in a concrete mixer or similar to remove all the crud. Some of it looks crappy and is really black. I would hate to imagine what it was like before if other concrete mixer treatment. They are obviously getting low on supply and selling off the very worst of the Greek.
    Your mate should know about shaking each case to check for wet powder and pull the projectiles to check for loose neck tension.

Anything that's not good is pulled and used as components for reloads
    mimms2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    Your mate should know about shaking each case to check for wet powder and pull the projectiles to check for loose neck tension.

Anything that's not good is pulled and used as components for reloads

He thought about that but he brass is so corroded I’ve told him to take the stuff back. The concerning thing was not the duds but the fact one went off and lodged down the bore. If he had been using it in a rapid fire competition which he regularly shoots it might have been all over ….

I had some so badly corroded that it was eaten through at the neck hold a whole lot and they are all flat base got my money back on them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by omark View Post
    He thought about that but he brass is so corroded I’ve told him to take the stuff back. The concerning thing was not the duds but the fact one went off and lodged down the bore. If he had been using it in a rapid fire competition which he regularly shoots it might have been all over ….
    That's the risk you take with Greek hxp. Good brass when it's in ok condition but it's Greece. It ain't exactly climate controlled and dry storage.

The Greek manufacturing facility was IIRC set up in alliance with Winchester to make ammo to NATO approved standards. Obviously 303 will be a sideline product but the ammo fresh out of the factory should be good.

The crap stuff we are seeing is likely caused by very poor storage and may have had several owners before GC aquired it at I'm guessing peppercorn pricing to then generously pass on to NZ shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    The Greek manufacturing facility was IIRC set up in alliance with Winchester to make ammo to NATO approved standards. Obviously 303 will be a sideline product but the ammo fresh out of the factory should be good.

The crap stuff we are seeing is likely caused by very poor storage and may have had several owners before GC aquired it at I'm guessing peppercorn pricing to then generously pass on to NZ shooters.
    As far as I can tell from online forums the Americans got the good hxp at really good prices.
    zimmer likes this.

174gr PPSN from woodleigh stoked up with Varget/2208 Smuffy......
    csmiffy likes this.