Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By longshot
  • 1 Post By dannyb
  • 1 Post By Huk

Thread: Best paint for CF stock

Best paint for CF stock

I am keen to DIY paint my CF rifle stock.

I don’t want to use anything that will compromise it. Hence asking the question here, what paint to use?. Any other pro tips for this exercise much appreciated.

you COULD always cover it in tape and then paint it...so completely reversable in future.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Durepox from Resene is pretty good if you have a spray gun. Durepox Xtrem clear is even harder wearing. This stuff been used on carbon hydrofoil. Otherwise any auto or marine paint

Are you talking about a full coverage job or sponge blob style? If sponging on use any outdoor rated spray paint and decant then sponge as required, ain't going to hurt it and will look better as it wears. If full cover refer above or use low temperature cure Ceracote or Duracoat.

if you want a stippled texture the Krylon Make It Stone in a can works well . Just need to overcoat with a clear coat afterwards

Whatever you go for just be sure to degrease it, prime it, paint it and clear coat it.

What's your stock made of? Plastic? Fibreglass?
    In longrange riflery, trajectory is the pure science part. Gravity is a constant for our purposes.
    Wind is in the art department.
    Light is pure fucking voodoo.

Duracoat is easy to work with, wears well and is super easy to sand off if you change your mind...and it can be a full on matt finish.

Quote Originally Posted by fernleaf View Post
    Whatever you go for just be sure to degrease it, prime it, paint it and clear coat it.

What's your stock made of? Plastic? Fibreglass?
    Its a carbon fibre stug stock. It's the degreasing and priming that I really want to get 110% correct, the rest of it is going to be a sponge blob job so doesn't need to be anything special. Given that the stock is essentially irreplacaable I don't want to just charge into it and find out in six months time that the paint job I have done is what is causing the stock to disintegrate or something annoying like that.
    Tommy likes this.

I've always just used isopropyl alcohol to clean before spraying on carbon, kevlar, glass and even synthetic stocks.
    I've painted a few now. Give it a quick key up before priming nothing to harsh and good to go. I have mostly used automotive aresol cans but occasionally I'll use marble effect paints for patterns, have even used textured underbody/bumper paint with no issues.
    Mask off your bedding area and use a matte
    (not satin) clear over the top for added durability and it also takes away any gloss from whatever paint your using.
    My first paint job was on a stug and it's still going strong after going through a few sets of hands.

Name:  20231209_140413.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  5.37 MB

Name:  20231110_145501.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  3.65 MB

Name:  20220716_185159.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  5.21 MB
    Hermitage likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    I've always just used isopropyl alcohol to clean before spraying on carbon, kevlar, glass and even synthetic stocks.
    I've painted a few now. Give it a quick key up before priming nothing to harsh and good to go. I have mostly used automotive aresol cans but occasionally I'll use marble effect paints for patterns, have even used textured underbody/bumper paint with no issues.
    (not satin) clear over the top for added durability and it also takes away any gloss from whatever paint your using.
    My first paint job was on a stug and it's still going strong after going through a few sets of hands.

Attachment 246553

Attachment 246554

Attachment 246555
    Which brand of clearcoat do you use danny?

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    Which brand of clearcoat do you use danny?
    I'll check tomorrow I'm out at the speedway for the night, got it from mitre 10, there is a big difference between satin and matte
    #DANNYCENT

Huk
    Hydro dipping is an option choice of patterns available and wear well,cheers
    dannyb likes this.

Attachment 246553

Attachment 246554

Attachment 246555
    Thanks @dannyb, judging by those photos, I should be good following the above advice. Did you check what brand of clear coat you are using?

Also any suggestions for what grit sandpaper to key it with?

Quote Originally Posted by longshot View Post
    Thanks @dannyb, judging by those photos, I should be good following the above advice. Did you check what brand of clear coat you are using?

Also any suggestions for what grit sandpaper to key it with?
    Scotchbright for keying it up,

This is the clear I used
    https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/colou...paint/p/391152
    #DANNYCENT

Scotchbright for keying it up,

This is the clear I used
    https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/colou...paint/p/391152
    Easy.
    Thanks for that.