Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: What to do ...paint job

What to do ...paint job

I have a car that needs a refresh. I priced up a respray and at $4000 ish it is too much to spend on what is really a cheap $3k runabout

I looked at wrapping it (vinyl wrap) and while cheaper, I have no idea how long it will last. Salesmen tell me one thing (years) mates tell me much less.....

I looked at trying it myself but dont want to ruin what is really a straight and unblemished car apart from a very faded and tired paint job. It is still mostly original 1989 MX5

I saw someone saying plastidip was an option Spray on plasticoat to me sounds like a possibility as if I get it wrong, it should peel off and leave me no worse than I was before (also a possibility with the vinyl, I guess)

I am not looking to make it look new again. So it wont need to be a full respray quality. I just want it to look red and mostly unscratched again.

Has anyone here done any of this to a vehicle? Advice?

I have painted a few things..

Most of that $4000 will be prep work.disassembling,masking,sanding, undercoating,priming,resanding etc.

The actual top coat, plus clear coats are the fastest part of the job.

Do some research, build a home made temporary spray booth.Hire a big compressor,buy a decent spray gun and do it yourself.
    Jaco Goosen and mimms2 like this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

red is the color that deteriorates the worst never buy a red car..... having said that you have one so is the paint just faded and chalky or does it look like the clearcoat has started to peel? if its just faded then its probably painted in 2 pack enamel and a damn good cut and polish using quality product will actually bring it up a treat..... but it wont last too long and you can only do it so many times. if the paint is looks like its peeling off in sheets in places then its likely been touche up at sometime using low quality clearcoat over the basecoat or poor prep or both and a repaint is the only option. even with a top quality paint and clearcoat done correctly only carries a limited guarantee and the paint company always has an out (usually pointing the finger at poor prep). unless your in the trade then the major brand of paint are possibly not going to be sold to you as they have no idea as to whether the products health and safety requirements and application procedures will be followed . the 2 pack paints are highly toxic loaded with cancer causing agents that get released into the air when being sprayed . a makeshift booth is not gonna help it needs to be filtrated and yo need to wear the correct gear that shit can be absorbed thru your skin and even your eyes so just a filtered mask isnt enough. paintshops pay alot of money for compliance and containment of materials they pay huge wages its not a trade that you see many old painters alot die of cancer at what is a generally young age 40s-60s....
    you could use a 1 k paint (one you dont have to use a hardener with) but this wont last long and you will be wondering why you wasted your time and money
    and lastly mx5s were built by tiny japanese people and are very time consuming for kiwi blokes with pudgy penis fingers to pull apart and refit
    40mm and mimms2 like this.

I just painted our second cars roof because it needed a dent taking out for a wolf and the clear coat had gone. I’ll do the boot and bonnet next (i didn’t want to bite off more than I can chew) I’m planning to do my Holden after I’ve built up some confidence. It’s quite hard but can be done at home even with cans.I have a large compressor and bought a good spray gun. I used super cheap paint but but ended up with “orange peal” because my gun was set wrong but rubbed it smooth with 1500 wet and dry then put the clear coat on.
    Like norsk said it’s all in the prep work.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

'89 mx5 ?
    Are you a hairdresser ?
    Slug, ebf, scotty and 3 others like this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    '89 mx5 ?
    Are you a hairdresser ?
    i didnt want to ask that question

Is this a 'project' or a keeper? If not, then just drive it.

I am an amateur and have done a couple of these missions.... lots and lots of work.... and some more....
    Like LOTS of work.
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    '89 mx5 ?
    Are you a hairdresser ?
    Those things are meant to be great handling little beasts.
    Also an original one will be worth a mint in the near future.
    timattalon likes this.
    Use enough gun

reminds me of.......... "when i first saw you , your hair blowing in the wind......and you ......too proud to run after it"
    Steve123 and outlander like this.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    i didnt want to ask that question
    Always a bit of a standing joke with my mates when they first came out. We had a list of 'never be seen in' hair dresser s cars' and that one was top of the list...ha ha.
    That said I used to have an early 90's red MR2 with targa top roof and that was also on the list , although a bit further down. At least that was styled on the 'Magnum P.I.' ferrari scaled down , and used to handle like a go-cart.
    Still made sure my mates never saw me drive it- told em it was the missus car..lol.
    I always drove my monaro v8 or later my 355 Chev powered jag xj6 when the mates were around.
    born to hunt - forced to work

i have owned 3 mr2's inc a 340hp turbo. gundoc took his wife for a spin in it and she was yelling slow down!!

audi tt is the hairdressers car, and jeeps are popular with lesbians apparently

well maybe its setup for the right purpose i guess
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FCB8sx2rWY

I’d have one, mind you I do cut my own hair.
    Ftx325 likes this.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    red is the color that deteriorates the worst never buy a red car..... having said that you have one so is the paint just faded and chalky or does it look like the clearcoat has started to peel? if its just faded then its probably painted in 2 pack enamel and a damn good cut and polish using quality product will actually bring it up a treat..... but it wont last too long and you can only do it so many times. if the paint is looks like its peeling off in sheets in places then its likely been touche up at sometime using low quality clearcoat over the basecoat or poor prep or both and a repaint is the only option. even with a top quality paint and clearcoat done correctly only carries a limited guarantee and the paint company always has an out (usually pointing the finger at poor prep). unless your in the trade then the major brand of paint are possibly not going to be sold to you as they have no idea as to whether the products health and safety requirements and application procedures will be followed . the 2 pack paints are highly toxic loaded with cancer causing agents that get released into the air when being sprayed . a makeshift booth is not gonna help it needs to be filtrated and yo need to wear the correct gear that shit can be absorbed thru your skin and even your eyes so just a filtered mask isnt enough. paintshops pay alot of money for compliance and containment of materials they pay huge wages its not a trade that you see many old painters alot die of cancer at what is a generally young age 40s-60s....
    you could use a 1 k paint (one you dont have to use a hardener with) but this wont last long and you will be wondering why you wasted your time and money
    and lastly mx5s were built by tiny japanese people and are very time consuming for kiwi blokes with pudgy penis fingers to pull apart and refit
    The clear coat has been 'polished through' on the rear and was doing this when I bought it....The front panels were repainted not long before I got it due to some cock in a carpark scratching those panels also before I got it. And I think the doors are still original paint. So most of the panels are not only slightly different rreds, but different paints as well. (2k red in parts, red with clear in others, etc)

I just want to smarten it up a bit so it is all the same colour....

Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    Is this a 'project' or a keeper? If not, then just drive it.

I am an amateur and have done a couple of these missions.... lots and lots of work.... and some more....
    Like LOTS of work.
    Technically it was not supposed to be either......I got it originally as a cheap traveller as my father was crook for a few years and traveling from chch to Blen in the weekends to see him was going to run the legs off my wee Suzuki Vitara and I did not want to use the wifes car as she would then be stuck at home. (Refuses to drive the Vitara)

I intended selling it when Dad passed, but it was so much fun to drive that I started using it for the work commute (25km each way on open road.....) My wife enjoys day trips in it and it is really fun to drive. To the extent, I never really cared what others think it is. It is definitley one of those cars that puts a smile in the dial......

I had a mate that started insinuating either a mid life crisis or questionable manhood so I gave him a drive in it....two weeks later he got one. His Brother started to do the same to him, so he was told to drive it or shut up...now the brother wants one too.....

They are very well set up for people who enjoy driving. They absolutely love corners, and they run really well. Lovely days like we are having now and drop the top down and just go somewhere.....doesn't matter where, just pick a direction and go....

Maybe we should be paying attention to what hairdressers like to drive. Because if this is what they like to drive, then they might be onto something .....
    Pengy, Micky Duck, 40mm and 2 others like this.