Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: What to do ...paint job

Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    Those things are meant to be great handling little beasts.
    Also an original one will be worth a mint in the near future.
    Indeed. Any alterations on mine have been 'bolt in ' extras that can be easily undone. The style bars are one such addition. Made to look like roll bars, their actual job is more like a torsion bar as they are fitted to the chassis directly above the rear suspension on each side. They lock the back end down and it sharpens up the 'get up and go....'

Both my wife and I have fallen for it. I toyed with getting a later one as an upgrade, but I think that the original one is the pick of them for value and fun.
    Micky Duck and 40mm like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    Always a bit of a standing joke with my mates when they first came out. We had a list of 'never be seen in' hair dresser s cars' and that one was top of the list...ha ha.
    That said I used to have an early 90's red MR2 with targa top roof and that was also on the list , although a bit further down. At least that was styled on the 'Magnum P.I.' ferrari scaled down , and used to handle like a go-cart.
    Still made sure my mates never saw me drive it- told em it was the missus car..lol.
    I always drove my monaro v8 or later my 355 Chev powered jag xj6 when the mates were around.
    My wife has a new gen Mini Cooper. I actually quite like driving it, get heaps of smiles from pretty girls which is great, odd smile from pretty boys which is not so great but take the good with the bad
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

As a sportscar fan I like the little MX5s and may certainly own one at some point. Very neat little unit proving max power and price are not the key criteria for a fun driver car.

Tim - send me a pm. I have an auto painter who is extremely good with price and may do the job for alot less than $4k - esp if no panel to tidy up.
    Micky Duck and 2post like this.

I borrow my dad's little triumph spitfire on the odd occasion and take that for a blat with whichever family member I think deserves a ride , usually my daughter. That's a great wee summer car with the roof off and goes and handles surprisingly well for an older car. Gets lots of looks and always a conversation starter wherever you park. He has been threatening to sell it but I have convinced him to keep it for now.
    A real classic wee sports car that one and has a character that the japs just can't quite emulate.
    mudgripz, Micky Duck and outlander like this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

'89 mx5 ?
    Are you a hairdresser ?
    Here we go...getting ready for the new year?

I borrow my dad's little triumph spitfire on the odd occasion and take that for a blat with whichever family member I think deserves a ride , usually my daughter. That's a great wee summer car with the roof off and goes and handles surprisingly well for an older car. Gets lots of looks and always a conversation starter wherever you park. He has been threatening to sell it but I have convinced him to keep it for now.
    A real classic wee sports car that one and has a character that the japs just can't quite emulate.
    Handle better with a bag of cement in the boot.
    The only car that tried to kill me was a shitfire.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

shitty paintjob = slightly less likely to be pinched..... well atleast thats what I tell mysell when look at the toyota in driveway with clearcoat gone off roof and bonnet.... keep threatening to just spraycan paint it....lots of light coats...but think it would be divorce material if I did.
    timattalon likes this.

ok, had to admit i did once own an mx5, my idea was to fit a 13b plus running gear into it, however following a workplace accident and the feeling in my arm for several years i sold it.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    ok, had to admit i did once own an mx5, my idea was to fit a 13b plus running gear into it, however following a workplace accident and the feeling in my arm for several years i sold it.
    That woukd have been a fun car, I liked doing sleepers in my youth (1976 civic with an 1800 accord engine in it claimed a decent number of wins from unsuspecting rivals)

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    i have owned 3 mr2's inc a 340hp turbo. gundoc took his wife for a spin in it and she was yelling slow down!!

audi tt is the hairdressers car, and jeeps are popular with lesbians apparently
    Wife has a wee red TT, great fun to punt about in, giving the boy a lift one Friday night, bunch of fuckwit boy racers though they would have a little fun and hem us in at the Kilmarnock lights and give us grief. No communication needed, we jumped out fast and went for a car each, quite funny watching carload of boy racers drive backward down the road and the one in front drive off through the light that was now red, bet they don't harass hairdressers again.
    timattalon and outlander like this.

in my youth my "sleeper" was a triumph 2.5............but it was powered by a jag 4.2. still not as fast as the mates mini with a worked 1750 maxi motor in it though
    timattalon, outlander and csmiffy like this.

the ariel atom v8 is a conjoined twin hyabusa with a blower.

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    Those things are meant to be great handling little beasts.
    Also an original one will be worth a mint in the near future.
    Yup, Mrs ebf had one for a while

Still the most fun car we've ever owned. Rear-wheel drive, weighs just about nothing....
    timattalon likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

I wouldn't think it would take much paint to cover one of them, from what your describing as what you want it sounds like you could achieve it yourself with paint that at a price point that matches the value you want invested in the car, I have used the acrylic paint supercheap sell a couple of times, in a good gun it sprays ok but found it needed more thinners than anticipated to run in nice and wet, came off the gun nice and buffed up easy. There are better paints out there but cost goes up quickly and application gets more involved
    timattalon and Micky Duck like this.

'89 mx5 ?
    Are you a hairdresser ?
    A gay hairdresser ?