Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: What paint and primer

What paint and primer

Hi all,

I am currently repairing a trailer that has suffered a fair bit of rust, and a horrific previous paint job.
    Am currently replacing some sections of the steel and grinding/sanding off the old rust bubbling paint job.

I am after some recommendations on what primer and paint to use? Sytle and brand.
    Was thinking some sort of etch primer (not sure what brand), as I am using some new steel.

But not sure what top coat, have heard that the Hammerite is a good hardwearing paint,
    but short of just walking into Bunnings or Mitre 10, not sure where to start with what and where to get decent paint.

Cheers

Altex paints in Tauranga put out some good systems for this work
    Pointer and tetawa like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

por15 is fine as is hammertite .... the choice is all up to you ... both hammertite and por15 are self leveling ,si paint brush is fine .
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    por15 is fine as is hammertite .... the choice is all up to you ... both hammertite and por15 are self leveling ,si paint brush is fine .
    Is POR15 a primer topcoat all in one deal?
    Looks like there are a few options from them, like a direct to rust and etch primer options.

You can buy a rust converter to kill the rust before you pair it?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Wattyl Super Etch is a good rust preventive after you have cleaned up. But like Maca said, maybe deal to it with a rust converter first to make sure you have killed it all or else it could pop up again. Good industrial primer & topcoat is whats needed.

CRC rust converter-Wattyl etch primer-2 pack top coat. Resene do a good series of two pack enamel products with are tough as @Rushys snags
    I cant recall which one is suited to that type of job so best pop in to your local agent, or better still, an auto panel shop. They will sort you
    308 likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    CRC rust converter-Wattyl etch primer-2 pack top coat. Resene do a good series of two pack enamel products with are tough as @Rushys snags
    I cant recall which one is suited to that type of job so best pop in to your local agent, or better still, an auto panel shop. They will sort you
    You'll keep!
    Pengy likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    Is POR15 a primer topcoat all in one deal?
    Looks like there are a few options from them, like a direct to rust and etch primer options.
    No you must top coat POR15 where as Hammerite is ok without a top coat. both are good but don't get POR on your skin it stains.
    stumpy likes this.

I am mechanically moving the majority of the rust and have got rust converter I'll use where I can't reach.

I'll start looking at some local paint places and see what they've got.

Seriously consider whether it's worth the effort or better just to sell or make a new one, you'll never get all of the rust, especially what's on the inside of the tubes.

I haven't seen so can't really judge.
    veitnamcam, gadgetman and Beaker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    Seriously consider whether it's worth the effort or better just to sell or make a new one, you'll never get all of the rust, especially what's on the inside of the tubes.

I haven't seen so can't really judge.
    I had wanted to make a new one, but due to lack of facilities deemed it easier to buy one and modify/fix to meet requirements. Its 5mx2.4m and building one from scratch wasn't likely to happen as much as i had wanted too.

Rust isn't too bad, looks like someone in the past has just tried to paint over old rust, so the paint in now bubbly and horrible. But starting to look better now. But agree that the inside of the tubes are likely to not be pretty.

As Pengy said, Resene used to do a 2-pack mix called Aquapoxy or some such
    The clear version is used as an anti-graffiti paint and is really good and hard as a schoolboy in a brothel - last time I used it on a vehicle chassis it went straight over the galv primer as I wasn't fussy about colour - had some left over so coated my picks, shovels etc and it damn well lasts

Wear breathing gear when applying
    Pengy likes this.

Couple of recommendations:
    1. Rust converter dosen't go well on new or freshly ground steel, therefore, loosen up as much of the old flaky rust as possible using a chipping hammer [wear eye protection], then apply the converter, and then, if there are areas you want to grind, do so after doing the rust conversion, therefore any pitting you don't grind off will already be rust converted and wont bubble your paint.
    2. If you have open RHS runners which have rust inside, weld end caps on all but 1 end, put 1 [or more] litres of oil into the runners and then weld on the last end cap. The oil will slosh around in the sealed environment and prevent further corrosion. Best to pour the oil in via a funnel and a piece of garden hose with the trailer on a lean so that the steel around the last weld cap is clean and oil free for weld quality and fire risk management.
    3. As above, ring Altex and get their recommendation on the paint system to use.

What is epoxy enamel paint?
    I thought epoxy was always a 2 part paint/adhesive, but I'm seeing "epoxy enamel" paints that are all in one.

Is it just a marketing name to try and make an enamel paint sound as tough as a 2 part epoxy?