Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Best Product for Bedding a Rifle?

I use Nathan Fosters kit. Not too expensive and it’s good to support a kiwi with a great product. I have used JB weld for a quick bedding job to good effect. I’ll be doing that on my .22 when I make the stock
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Devcon is number 1 for me. The match grade stuff is very good but a bit more runny . I have used jb weld as well, but that is not has hard as the two first ones. I used to use the runny accraglas ( not acragelwhich is softer). The prep and the damming has to be impeccable if you don’t want to have liquid resin running everywhere. I particularly liked it with wooden stocks when I could tint the resin in the same brown Color.
    I actually did learn to do my first dozen beddings with the accraglas, so when I switched to devcon, it was really easy as .

Never used the kit but it has all you need, know of others that have used it with good results. for 40 bux I don't see how you could go wrong unless u fux it up

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/sho...+Compound.html
    Last edited by Magnus; 03-06-2023 at 09:44 PM.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Cursed be the ground for our sake. Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for us. For out of the ground we were taken, for the dust we are... and to the dust we shall return.

Ive used it with good results..3 times now.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I used JB Weld (Original) on a Boyd's stock, it seemed to be the easiest product to get hold of without waiting ages and paying heaps. Was easy to work with and gave a great result. Surprised nobody else here has mentioned it as came up a lot when I was researching my options.
    Oli1102 likes this.

Devcon - it comes in aluminium powder and steel as well as the stainless version. There are many other brands that will do the same job, Devcon is black which suits black stocks but you can get brown machinable or tapable epoxies which is the main condition you need once the product is set up. The other main one is shrinkage once set - this is a product of curing temperature of the epoxy vs the cured/cooled state after it finishes expanding after set up. The best combination is machinable and minimal shrinkage for a good 'casting' of the action.

The specific gunsmithing products are good, but Devcon works just as well and is likely off the shelf and more easily obtained. The other product you need is a release agent - a non-hydrocarbon and non-silicon product is what you need and the easiest to use I've found is a product called LPS-3. A thin coat of that sprayed on and left to dry and job done. Will save you a metric f-ton of hours fartarsing about coating the action with release agent...

Kiwi neutral, ( which is bloody hard to find in nz) or it’s competitors, works marvel, and can be polished to a high gloss before the action is set in the résine. That makes for a really nice glossy finish once unmolded.
    zimmer likes this.

Banned
    I have used Acraglass, Devcon and Nathan Fosters Match Grade kits. I now only use Nathans product and do full length action bedding. Match grade is no better than Devcon as a product but the advantage with it is that it comes with the correct release agent ( Canuba wax in solution). The problem with some other products is that there may be a solvent that wrecks the release agent or at least partially wrecks it ( worry and pounding heart ). Being runny, Match grade lets air bubbles move and not get trapped.
    Lifting a rifle out of the stock to see a perfect full length action bedding job is up there with holding your new born child imo. A devcon 'recoil lug and chamber' job will leave you always wondering if a full length bed would have been that little bit better.
    The key to full length bedding is the pieces of drinking straw that slide down in the action screw holes with the headless screws / threaded rod as the action is lowered

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Dicko View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzXHkyCdyuQ This is a pretty good instruction to follow.
    Good vodeo, thanks for posting.

Leaves me wondering if I would be up to the job, I may be too scared of buggering it up.
    When hunting think safety first

I've used several of Nathans kits, and so long as I do my prep properly, they make for a very good bedding job. I keep one on hand with all my "gun stuff" just in case I want to do a rainy day job. I like them because Nathan is a Kiwi and I like to support local. He has done his research and all the products are compatible and come in handy sized containers. The kit comes with comprehensive written instructions, and he has excellent online video's if you cant read the instructions.

Never doubt yourself as to whether you are up to the job. Check out the video's, read the instructions, and dont be in a hurry.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Dicko View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzXHkyCdyuQ This is a pretty good instruction to follow.
    Comparing that guys methods to Nathans, I am sticking with Nathans. Using the sliding drinking straws and threaded studs along with rubber bungies for tension gives a fail safe result. plus masking up the whole rifle stock and action is pretty easy and takes less time than cleaning up with solvent

Looked to be a very tidy result but he already knows what he is doing

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Devcon 10110

2 part epoxy and stainless-steel powder

Coloured black

Zero shrink, machinable

For repairing magnesium gearbox housings on helicopters etc

The worlds BEST bedding compound.

Can get it in various sized containers including economical tubes like toothpaste

Blackwood’s and other engineering supplies stock it

Use a release compound from rocol or others, you must use a release compound

Leave rifle in the hot water cupboard for a few days to fully cure

There’s some essential tricks to bedding rifles, pm me if your interested in techniques for a drama free job
    Belzona 1111 is a superior product to Devon 10110. It's basically liquid steel and used for among other things, repairing damaged turbine blades. About $350 a small tub though.

Found Marinetex black easy to work with and not too expensive.
    zimmer, 6x47 and Jaco Goosen like this.

I posted on this thread a few days ago but I see it's been deleted, god knows why.
    Anyway, if you want a more detailed analysis of the options, have a look at this:

https://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...red-by-speedy/
    zimmer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    I posted on this thread a few days ago but I see it's been deleted, god knows why.
    Anyway, if you want a more detailed analysis of the options, have a look at this:

https://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...red-by-speedy/
    Yep, read that article a couple of years ago. +1 for Marine Tex. Not sure where you buy it nowadays in small quatities. Got mine from DED but some marine outfits sell it but in larger tins.
    Name:  20230605_095815.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  5.22 MB
    10-Ring likes this.

With a pot of 500 gr of devcon at $140 I can easily do 5 rifles.
    With the Nathan foster kit I can do two or three.
    But $350 that starts to be very expensive….for how much gain?
    Marine tex is one resin I have not tried yet but would like to use one day.