Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Knives Africa NZGR


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: rifle bedding kit

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    kaiapoi
    Posts
    1,744

    rifle bedding kit

    My project is going to need some bedding done. Good practice for me and I cant make the stock any worse can I?
    Can anyone give me some advice for a cheap bedding compound. Seen some reports of the devcon putty working ok?
    Didn't really want to spend 80 bucks on a bedding kit. If I start doing that it gets closer to just replacing the stock instead of having a play.
    read an article in a early 2000's NZ guns and hunting that mentioned a Norski kit for just this purpose, but couldn't seem to find the same thing on their website.
    Thoughts everyone?

  2. #2
    Member Frogfeatures's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Auckland, until I can escape south....
    Posts
    672
    I’ve used Devcon
    Seemed to work OK, certainly shot better after the action was bedded.
    Give it a go, what have you got to lose ?
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

    You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

  3. #3
    Member Micky Duck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Geraldine
    Posts
    2,280
    the kits Nathan sells at terminal balistics are good to use and the support that goes with it is second to none...... that said you can do a pretty good job with a hot glue gun,after all a lot of stuff leaves the factory done that way,my .270 was and the HGG bedding worked better still,the araldite job I did after that was pretty good but the final one using proper kit left the others in the dust.
    back in the day guys used automotive bog....back before kits were available,it was the start of rifles being done right.

  4. #4
    Member Brian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upper Hutt
    Posts
    673
    devcon's the best I've tried but its dear you get enough for about 30 rifles.
    The epoxy fillers all work have a look at Bunnings.
    csmiffy likes this.

  5. #5
    Almost literate. veitnamcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    19,048
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    the kits Nathan sells at terminal balistics are good to use and the support that goes with it is second to none...... that said you can do a pretty good job with a hot glue gun,after all a lot of stuff leaves the factory done that way,my .270 was and the HGG bedding worked better still,the araldite job I did after that was pretty good but the final one using proper kit left the others in the dust.
    back in the day guys used automotive bog....back before kits were available,it was the start of rifles being done right.
    Bloody hell what brand/s come with hot glue bedding!????!!!???
    bully and steven like this.
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire

    Chicken Intolerant.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    296
    Ive used laminating/wood gluing epoxy with the right filler but that would cost more than the kit. Handy stuff to have though. I have also used JB weld which is the same as devcon, I did get it from Amazon though as it was less than half the price

  7. #7
    Almost literate. veitnamcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    19,048
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilli_Dog View Post
    Ive used laminating/wood gluing epoxy with the right filler but that would cost more than the kit. Handy stuff to have though. I have also used JB weld which is the same as devcon, I did get it from Amazon though as it was less than half the price
    I am pretty sure JB weld is not "the same as Devcon" as Devcon is availiable in many grades and as far as I am aware none of them state "the same as JB weld" on them.
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire

    Chicken Intolerant.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    kaiapoi
    Posts
    1,744
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Bloody hell what brand/s come with hot glue bedding!????!!!???
    @veitnamcam
    Tikka 270?
    Got 2 forum jokes in there.
    veitnamcam and steven like this.

  9. #9
    Member Micky Duck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Geraldine
    Posts
    2,280
    dare I say it......winchesters from the 90s . a big fat blob of goo,action screwed in place and ship it out. not sure how many others ARENT done this day.
    my .223 is still hot glue gun bedded as is my norinco 7.62x39mm. it sounds crude but a heck of a lot better than bare wood to steel.

  10. #10
    Almost literate. veitnamcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    19,048
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    dare I say it......winchesters from the 90s . a big fat blob of goo,action screwed in place and ship it out. not sure how many others ARENT done this day.
    my .223 is still hot glue gun bedded as is my norinco 7.62x39mm. it sounds crude but a heck of a lot better than bare wood to steel.
    Interesting....what happens when you fire a heap of rounds and it gets hot and melts?
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire

    Chicken Intolerant.

  11. #11
    Member Micky Duck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Geraldine
    Posts
    2,280
    faaark you would have to really fire a big string to get anywhere near hot enough for that....even snotting wobblies the old poohseventy didnt get hot enough for that.

  12. #12
    Member Micky Duck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Geraldine
    Posts
    2,280
    but even if you did...it would still reform back into a mirror image of stock and action so would be all good......if Im right the theory of bedding is to "mate" the stock to action so it vibrates the same way..returns to battery etc etc.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    kaiapoi
    Posts
    1,744
    bumpity? any more advice?

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    392
    Yup.......Nathan foster's kits are worth every bit of the $80, and the instructions on paper, video, and back up are excellent. If you buy a new stock, chances are you're gonna have to bed it anyway.
    Micky Duck and Tuckerbox like this.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I am pretty sure JB weld is not "the same as Devcon" as Devcon is availiable in many grades and as far as I am aware none of them state "the same as JB weld" on them.
    That is true, jb weld is a steel filled epoxy which is very similar to steel filled devcon......

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. free floating and bedding rifle stock at home
    By huglife in forum Shooting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 30-11-2017, 05:02 PM
  2. Winter Rifle Maintenance: stock and bedding
    By Bagheera in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-09-2016, 11:34 PM
  3. Rifle bedding
    By jimmy6.5 in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-02-2014, 09:22 PM
  4. Factory Rifle Bedding jobs
    By Homer in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 31-05-2012, 11:11 PM
  5. Factory Rifle Bedding jobs
    By Homer in forum The Magazine
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 27-05-2012, 11:06 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!