Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By Pommy
  • 2 Post By 6x47

Thread: Shillen barrels.

Shillen barrels.

So after some consideration on barrel choice for my 284win re barrel job for next year I found a 28" Shillen select match 1 in 8 twist 7mm blank at gunworks.

Not to say I wouldn't have been happy with a hardy at all and no disrespect but yeah I liked the specs on the shillen better.

So 2 questions:

1) who has or had shillen barrels (I've got one mate who had one which he loved but shot it out) ? My understanding is that Ed shillen went over to teach Bergara how to make barrels and the results speak for themselves.
    2) barrel length. Bearing in mind with the 284win I'd like to keep it compact and handy yet still have legs, happy to shoot to 620y currently but would like to do 700ish. So based on keeping it Portable yet potent I'm unsure if I stick with 20" like it currently has or do I go 18" or 22"?

Cheers for the input team it's bloody awesome 👌

Walking my rifle
    I got a shilen barrel on my tikka in 308, got it from gunworks too. Shoots great, easily sub 0.5moa. Its a stainless one but it does seem to rust a little on the outside if i dont wipe it down, but only in the odd spot. Whereas the original tikka barrel never did
    If you can't kill it with bullets, dont f*ck with it.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    My first 260Imp was built on a Shilen and it was a mint shooter. Not fussy at all & didn't copper foul much from day 1. I ran it at 24.5" for velocity reasons.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

After many mistakes I now order barrels "long", its easy to dock them, avoids disappointment if youget a "slow" one

Banned
    I have a 2506AI with a Shillen. Best barrel ever, always shoots whatever is put through it. I would go with 24" and the sling attachment on the barrel and not the forestock. Can always be shortened later if so desired. If it is for hunting it can be run without a suppressor and with earplugs attached to your hat

I had a Shilen blank for my 284 but it never got fitted and I on sold it. It was too short for my F Class rifle. Was a total cock up between what I ordered from a Hamilton GS and what he got. I needed 32".

I bought it based on their current reputation plus the GS was placing an order at the time I was looking for a barrel. Was disappointed to not see it perform. Would have been happy to fit it if it as intended had been the right length.

Ed Shilen left Shilen barrels quite a while ago. Run by husband and wife team now IIRC. I don't think they have quite the reputation of old anymore. Too many other high quality barrel producers around now.

I think the process Ed used to make barrels probably isn't the same as a huge producer like Bergara. Mmm that's maybe wrong as it appears Bergara button rifle.

PS: I believe the barrel clocked up very well in the lathe when fitted for the new owner. Something that is not always the case.
    Last edited by zimmer; 30-07-2023 at 12:44 PM.

Had one on my infamous 6.5Saum. Certainly was nothing wrong with the barrel was very very accurate, easy to clean.

Was replaced by a Barlein after 1200 ish rounds, only because that was what was available at the time. Would buy another Shilen in a heart beat.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

I'm on my 6th Shilen. They've all shot really well. As do Bartlein, Krieger, Brux, TrueFlite etc... can't go wrong with any of them.

My current 284 is a 25.5" Shilen. Chucks 180's out at 2850 with a mid-range load of Re26. Previous 284 was a 20" Shilen which would do 2750 with a stiffer load. Work out what bullet you want to shoot, work backwards from the impact velocity you need at the longest range you want to shoot, to work out what muzzle velocity you'll need. That'll give you an idea of what barrel length you need. Then add 2" for insurance.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

My .375 Ruger has a Shilen barrel. Asked a gunsmith in Texas to make the barrel at 22 inches. The way it's done there it came with a 23 inch barrel by our standards. But, no worries.
    Haven't shot it enough yet to say it just the Bees Knees, or not. But, so far, no complaints. It's doing what I need.
    Personally though my favourite barrels are from True Flite. I think they compare very well against the big names.

With the 1 in 8 twist I'm thinking 162gr eld M as open round.

Then for sub 300 round something like a swift scirocco.

But with 1 in 8 twist I'm a bit torn of why not use a 180gr eld m as a do it all round as it'll be leaving the muzzle a tad slower

Yep I had one in .308 , shot and cleaned well .

Recently built a 22 Creedmoor with a customer supplied Shillen barrel, it shoots extremely well (as 22 CM do) now but it is slow

He has has already brought a Bartlein for when its worn out

Have only owned two Shilens, both excellent. My 1 in 8 30" .284 won the Nationals so can't have been too bad.. The other was a 6.5x47 and that was a tack driver.
    zimmer and Moa Hunter like this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    I have a 20" 284Win chambered Shillen on my R93. Shoots better than me. CrMo barrel. Fitted by Tracey Short. Cerecoated black. I'd get another any day.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Another 6.5 Shillen SM, chambered in 6.5-284, shoots .25 moa at 200. Was 30 inch, now, turned down to a no.3, fluted and docked to 24inch. Fitting done by Tony Titheridge.