Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: Big Sevens... Which one for the 195 Berger.....?

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    Trueflite have done 4 barrels for now over 4-5 years, 2 in 7mm, 1 in 6.5 and one in 30 cal. All have been very accurate from get go, and I've broken the barrel in per Truflite instructions. Just done a 284 for me and about to start on break in & load dev. Always had great service and advice from Grant. Fingers crossed this 5th one is a shooter as well. I would agree that copper build up & cleaning is a bit of a mission in some barrels in the first stages but comes right with good Cu solvent and a round or 2 of lapping. Have never tried imported high end barrels so can't make any comparisons. Every gunsmith can turn out the odd dud bbl, but I'd expect the smith to stand by their work & put it right if it was not.
    Problem is if your home handy man lapping doesnt work the barrel maker will not warranty barrel....sounds like you have been lucky

R93
    Trueflite have done 4 barrels for now over 4-5 years, 2 in 7mm, 1 in 6.5 and one in 30 cal. All have been very accurate from get go, and I've broken the barrel in per Truflite instructions. Just done a 284 for me and about to start on break in & load dev. Always had great service and advice from Grant. Fingers crossed this 5th one is a shooter as well. I would agree that copper build up & cleaning is a bit of a mission in some barrels in the first stages but comes right with good Cu solvent and a round or 2 of lapping. Have never tried imported high end barrels so can't make any comparisons. Every gunsmith can turn out the odd dud bbl, but I'd expect the smith to stand by their work & put it right if it was not.
    I have a couple mates with the same experience. They swear by their TF barrels.
    And fair enough coz I have seen the results. They're good.

Like I said my experience with them wasn't good and I am sure you will find dissatisfied customers with any barrel maker that sells a heap of barrels.

I can also see things from their side a bit as well. I have worked behind a counter in a couple sports shops on and off helping a mate out. Some of the bullshit claims and complaints you hear all day are completely ridiculous.

I always fancied I would buy my local shop and retire selling guns and outdoor gear.

After a few days here and there of actually doing it I put that out of my mind completely. I wouldnt last a week without losing my shit

Not everyone can shoot tiny groups but it is always someone or something elses fault why they can't.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by R93; 27-09-2017 at 10:25 AM.
    muzr257, veitnamcam, GWH and 2 others like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I have a couple mates with the same experience. They swear by their TF barrels.
    And fair enough coz I have seen the results. They're good.

Like I said my experience with them wasn't good and I am sure you will find dissatisfied customers with any barrel maker that sells a heap of barrels.

I can also see things from their side a bit as well. I have worked behind a counter in a couple sports shops on and off helping a mate out. Some of the bullshit claims and complaints you hear all day are completely ridiculous.

I always fancied I would buy my local shop and retire selling guns and outdoor gear.

After a few days here and there of actually doing it I put that out of my mind completely. I wouldnt last a week without losing my shit

Not everyone can shoot tiny groups but it is always someone or something elses fault why they can't.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Most people can't shoot as well as the claim it's a fact of life.
    The worst are generally the big talkers I've found.
    Watch the quiet dude that rocks up with a day bag and old gun he won't disappoint.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Most people can't shoot as well as the claim it's a fact of life.
    The worst are generally the big talkers I've found.
    Watch the quiet dude that rocks up with a day bag and old gun he won't disappoint.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    I bet you will see plenty at the Toby shoot lol, Talk talk talk...... Miss miss miss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BRADS likes this.
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

I could have made a fortune mining copper from my Trueflite barrel. Eventually settled down but took a couple of hundred rounds. Shot OK.
    7mm300wby likes this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    I could have made a fortune mining copper from my Trueflite barrel. Eventually settled down but took a couple of hundred rounds. Shot OK.
    And on a big over bore 7mm that could be a 1/3 to 1/2 the barrels life ;-)

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Bumping and old thread instead of starting a new onre. Just wondering what people are thinking in terms of the options now. Anything with good quality brass that isn't soft like I've found most Norma and Hornady to be. Haven't had good luck in terms of consistency is Federal or Winchester Brass. I have a fair bit of new Norma 7mm REM mag brass so that my back up option but rifle if just about ready to be chambered but kind of wanted something a bit nicer than just a plain old 7mm Rem Mag as it's just a bit plain and cost is already up there. Have a 1-8 twist 26 inch Brux and a ~3.75" mag box. Not really chasing huge speed but wanting to explore for a node at 3000ish with the 180 ELD M without huge pressures. Rifle suitable for .532 bolt face but can be enlarged as they also came in 416 Rigby factory.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
    Bumping and old thread instead of starting a new onre. Just wondering what people are thinking in terms of the options now. Anything with good quality brass that isn't soft like I've found most Norma and Hornady to be. Haven't had good luck in terms of consistency is Federal or Winchester Brass. I have a fair bit of new Norma 7mm REM mag brass so that my back up option but rifle if just about ready to be chambered but kind of wanted something a bit nicer than just a plain old 7mm Rem Mag as it's just a bit plain and cost is already up there. Have a 1-8 twist 26 inch Brux and a ~3.75" mag box. Not really chasing huge speed but wanting to explore for a node at 3000ish with the 180 ELD M without huge pressures. Rifle suitable for .532 bolt face but can be enlarged as they also came in 416 Rigby factory.
    I've been using Norma 26 Nosler brass in my 28 Nosler. Running 195s at 3075 fps. No issues with it being soft at all like I've also experienced with SAUM Norma brass.

7mm Blaser Mag is probably a good option for 180s at 3k.

28 Nosler can do that super easy but prob still using more powder than blaser mag.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    camo wsm and chainsaw like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    I've been using Norma 26 Nosler brass in my 28 Nosler. Running 195s at 3075 fps. No issues with it being soft at all like I've also experienced with SAUM Norma brass.

7mm Blaser Mag is probably a good option for 180s at 3k.

28 Nosler can do that super easy but prob still using more powder than blaser mag.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    To get the blaser to get over 3k with the 180 you would need R33 unfortunately or have to run them at a lot higher pressure you can't beat capacity there are no free lunches, at the end of the day it's the same capacity as the wsm and rem mag.
    The 28 nosler will do that easily with better ADI powders.
    GWH likes this.

+1 for 7mmBM and 18- gn pills. Running mine @ 3050fps with 180 VLDs with RL26 and not a hot load. A whole lot less powder than the truly other "big 7s". Seems to be very efficient cartridge design
    Kiwi Greg and Pongo12 like this.

+1 for 7mmBM and 18- gn pills. Running mine @ 3050fps with 180 VLDs with RL26 and not a hot load. A whole lot less powder than the truly other "big 7s". Seems to be very efficient cartridge design
    So the same as Rem mag does.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiddy View Post
    I bet you will see plenty at the Toby shoot lol, Talk talk talk...... Miss miss miss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The biggest talkers won't be there for one of a hundred reasons, seen it so many times now.....right from the good old days on the old Forum.....

Then there's the Guys that say they will be there & bring XYZ etc...no shows....always an excuse....