Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Binocular recommendation

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by caberslash View Post
    Always aim for a 40-42mm objective pair, best compromise.

Swarovski EL 10x42 are the gold standard.

Would try and buy new from a proper dealer, but see if they have any new old stock as the warranty is still valid.

Avoid range-finding binoculars, you land up with redundant hardware in under a decade (can be a huge cost to fix/service) which runs heavier and bulkier than a pair with no gizmos IMHO.
    Any binocular with a 40-42mm objective is going to be fairly heavy and large. I've owned a lot of high end binos and for me a quality pair of 8x30's are the best compromise. Currently using Swaro CL Companion 8x30's (new model) and they're quite impressive for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    Any binocular with a 40-42mm objective is going to be fairly heavy and large. I've owned a lot of high end binos and for me a quality pair of 8x30's are the best compromise. Currently using Swaro CL Companion 8x30's (new model) and they're quite impressive for the money.
    Had a pair of the older CL companions in 8x30. Thought the ocular lenses were too small and condensation formed readily in very misty weather.

Quality bino harness like FHF helps a ton, the Swaro 42's are big for their class but I think they are the best compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Most deer are seen and shot night and evening. Light gathering equals: objective diameter divided by power. 8x30 are light and versatile. Start there.

You would never regret buying these: https://tractoptics.com/binoculars/8x42-binoculars
    *Edit. "morning & evening"