Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Bipod Accuracy

Bipod Accuracy

Hi everyone,
    Got a question regarding bipods. If you have sighted your rifles in without a bipod say on a sand bag etc then you fit a bipod is there likely to be a change in point of impact.
    I read an article once and it stated this can happen.
    So my question is have any of you noticed this happening to your rifles? I will test this theory one day soon with my rifle but some of you may already know the answer.
    Cheers Brian

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    I have found that to be true on the bigger calibers, but on a 223 etc I don't see a change. So it would seem that recoil causes a change.

I was always told to sight in as you intend to use. Bipod or resting on daypack say.

No expert and no experiments to validate this, some bright spark on here will know
    Feather or Shoot likes this.
    Went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.

If you have a very flexible stock forend eg Howa houge and many other cheap plastic stocks there can be a noticeable change in poi depending on how it is loaded(the bipod loaded)

I dont think it is such an issue with more stable stocks.
    quentin likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    If you have a very flexible stock forend eg Howa houge and many other cheap plastic stocks there can be a noticeable change in poi depending on how it is loaded(the bipod loaded)

I dont think it is such an issue with more stable stocks.
    Yeah my Weatherby vanguard stock was so flimsy the barrel used to bounce off it and send you way high. You couldn't slide a note under it if it was resting on the bipod. Fine after strengthening it though.

I'll second that you should sight in as you are going to shoot though, good idea that.

Sent from my GT-I8190T using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies, still might try it one day. Would be nice to be able to use it either way. Don't like the extra weight of the bipod up front. Would be OK to carry in day pack and put it on if you needed it for some longer shots, but that may not work to well.

Rifles I want to try it on are Rem 700 BDL 7mm Mag, and possibly a Rem SPS 300 RUM so they would be considered flimsy stocks and heavy recoil.

You can try mine mate

I have a bipod which I used on a 222 I had years back, I just thought I could get a steadier rest with the bipod, I couldn't get comfortable off the day pack at the Toby Shoot so I thought of my bipod. Only thing is I don't wish to have it attached all the time. No good having rifle sighted in with bipod as it may not be accurate shooting without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    I have a bipod which I used on a 222 I had years back, I just thought I could get a steadier rest with the bipod, I couldn't get comfortable off the day pack at the Toby Shoot so I thought of my bipod. Only thing is I don't wish to have it attached all the time. No good having rifle sighted in with bipod as it may not be accurate shooting without it.
    All the words in the world and comments on a forum wont tell you mate. You know what you need to do
    veitnamcam likes this.

That's where a Versa Pod comes in Mooseman, just clicks on or off with the press of a button, awesome design. Riva guns carry them, I love them, only bipod I would use.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    That's where a Versa Pod comes in Mooseman, just clicks on or off with the press of a button, awesome design. Riva guns carry them, I love them, only bipod I would use.
    They are just so bloody heavy though

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    They are just so bloody heavy though
    Try a Javelin. Lightweight carbon fibre one that clicks on and off with a magnet to hold it in place, easy to keep in a pocket and pop on to take a shot. On the pricey side but good deals pop up from time to time on tardme.
    Last edited by GravelBen; 13-11-2016 at 11:13 PM.

I do all my sighting in with bipod so that it's all consistent, then shot a deer off daybag at 275 and the deer didn't notice

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    Kiwi Greg likes this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Try a Javelin. Lightweight carbon fibre one that clicks on and off with a magnet to hold it in place, easy to keep in a pocket and pop on to take a shot. On the pricey side but good deals pop up from time to time on tardme.
    Had both, back to a Harris