Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Blaser gets the chop

Blaser gets the chop

Well I lost a little bit of soul doing this but dam it was just to loud and I can’t afford to loose any more hearing , shout out to DPT , great job and awesome service , dropped it off and said no hurry and it was ready the next day !
    Name:  IMG_1950.jpeg
Views: 556
Size:  338.4 KB
    Makros, Fisherman, mikee and 9 others like this.

Having this done to such a rifle can't have been easy for you but hearing is not replaceable. You've done a good thing.
    Micky Duck and Lucky like this.

Good on ya, the can doesn’t detract from that beautiful bit of kit in the slightest. I bet once you use it, you’ll wonder why you waited so long to chop it!
    Tahr, Micky Duck, ZQLewis and 2 others like this.

Gkp
    Love it! What caliber is she?
    I might have to own a k95 one me thinks
    Lucky likes this.

Damn that’s a sexy rifle
    Marty Henry and Lucky like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
    Well I lost a little bit of soul doing this but dam it was just to loud and I can’t afford to loose any more hearing , shout out to DPT , great job and awesome service , dropped it off and said no hurry and it was ready the next day !
    Attachment 235271
    there are some rifles that one could not put a can on as would totally screw the value but this is not a vintage Holland and Holland -what is it - a very usable rifle and a damn fine specimen of it
    Lucky likes this.

Did this to my K95 years ago and now it gets used as my primary big game rifle.
    Makes them vastly more practical and also easier for friends to use who aren't used to light, loud rifles
    Lucky likes this.
    The Church of
    John Browning
    of the Later-Day Shooter

Thanks fellas , yeah it will be a lot more user friendly for sure , life’s to short not to have a K95 in the safe , I was worried it would loose it’s balance etc as they are so nice to carry and point but overall length stayed the same and it feels pretty good in the hands still , 6.5 x 55 now with 20” barrel.
    Tahr and Beaker like this.

Could never do that to mine, but then mine is a tops rifle so I have time use ear plugs.
    outdoorlad, crewe2, BRADS and 4 others like this.

It's a Blaser. Barrels are replacable so no big deal?
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Banned
    I hope that the suppressor does reduce the sound decibel's to well below 140, this is the sound of a 22 rimfire and is a damaging level.
    Most centrefires exceed 170 db and and suppressors only provide around 30 db reduction at most
    The following is a copy and past from an article on the subject:

We found that overall suppression ranged from 7-32 dB across conditions (with variables including ear, ammunition, weapon, etc), and, with the exception of a subset of conditions in which subsonic ammunition was used, discharge levels routinely exceeded 140 dB SPL despite the use of a suppressor.9

Guidance from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) states that, “Exposure to impulsive or impact noise should not exceed 140-dB peak sound pressure level.”16 Thus, the use of a suppressor device did not make these discharges “hearing safe” in the absence of HPDs.

To be clear, the combination of a suppressor and HPDs will be safer than the use of HPDs alone. However, the use of a suppressor alone is not adequate for hearing loss prevention purposes when using an AR-15 or similar rifle.
    BRADS and RV1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post

To be clear, the combination of a suppressor and HPDs will be safer than the use of HPDs alone. However, the use of a suppressor alone is not adequate for hearing loss prevention purposes when using an AR-15 or similar rifle.
    Good thing we can't then, isn't it?

Also, lovely rifle.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Banned
    It appears that even a 223 with a suppressor on a 20" barrel is borderline damaging hearing and anything more powerful has a too high damaging DB level and requires plugs or muffs as well

Yep I get that it's still not hearing loss proof but it's difficult to tell a Deer to wait while I put my muffs on when in the bush and they are staring at you from 20yrds or using on a roaring stag in the Bush for that matter , hard to believe it only takes that much bang out of it they do sound a lot quieter suppressed ...

Had my K95 out today, Been working on a second load for the 7x65, 120gr instead of 160gr,
    I have got a .243 barrel on order for it, and intend to chop and suppress it,
    received a K95 .22 Hornet barrel a few months back, one of the best firearm purchases, i have ever made, fantastic accuracy, we are having lots of fun picking on the local small game.
    Steelisreal, dannyb and Lucky like this.