Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By 30.06king
  • 3 Post By 25/08 IMP
  • 1 Post By zeropak
  • 1 Post By Bert 71
  • 1 Post By shift14
  • 1 Post By Kelton

Thread: Advice on mounting swaro z5 to tikka

Advice on mounting swaro z5 to tikka

Hi all,
    I have been doing research but nothing really replaces experience and from what i've noticed this is the place to come!(the dragons den) I am looking for point in the right direction. i have recently purchased a Swarovski z5 3.5-18x44BT 4W from rivers to rangers, to put on my tikka t3x lite 7mm remmag it currently has a 20 MOA pic rail on it. what is your guys best opinions on rings ? do I remove pic rail and go optilocks? if I keep rail what height and brand rings are you guys running ? I'm away overseas and not back till Christmas (sending myself way to many Christmas presents) and can't really take the rifle in to test ring height. once I'm back in nz I will be in Auckland for a month or so so will also love recommendations on best place to mount the scope.

Cheers
    Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by anthony View Post
    Hi all,
    I have been doing research but nothing really replaces experience and from what i've noticed this is the place to come!(the dragons den) I am looking for point in the right direction. i have recently purchased a Swarovski z5 3.5-18x44BT 4W from rivers to rangers, to put on my tikka t3x lite 7mm remmag it currently has a 20 MOA pic rail on it. what is your guys best opinions on rings ? do I remove pic rail and go optilocks? if I keep rail what height and brand rings are you guys running ? I'm away overseas and not back till Christmas (sending myself way to many Christmas presents) and can't really take the rifle in to test ring height. once I'm back in nz I will be in Auckland for a month or so so will also love recommendations on best place to mount the scope.

Cheers
    Anthony
    I have a couple of Tikka T3X rifles with Z5 scopes. I just set the scopes up in Sako / Tikka Optilocks rings, mounted directly onto the receiver. I think they are Medium height rings. They are a good, solid system and I like the internal nylon liners that don't mark the scope tubes. Also have Optilocks on a couple of Sako rifles. As I said, solid, and I've never had any issues with them ( apart from paying the asking price - hahaha )
    anthony likes this.

Ditch the rail get a set of optilocks or Talley rings.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    lau lau, hotsoup and anthony like this.

cheers for the reply mate, I'm defiantly getting convinced on the optilocks option.
    Quote Originally Posted by 30.06king View Post
    I have a couple of Tikka T3X rifles with Z5 scopes. I just set the scopes up in Sako / Tikka Optilocks rings, mounted directly onto the receiver. I think they are Medium height rings. They are a good, solid system and I like the internal nylon liners that don't mark the scope tubes. Also have Optilocks on a couple of Sako rifles. As I said, solid, and I've never had any issues with them ( apart from paying the asking price - hahaha )

I've had a Z5 3-18x44 on a Tikka light. it was in a set of talley low rings. perfect height for the 44mm objective lens. If you want to keep the rail go for a set of Leupold low rings. Not quite as low as the talleys but good solid steel rings and lower that most pic rail rings.
    hotsoup likes this.
    ZeroPak Vacuum Sealers, Zero air Zero waste

My advice is put the fat end at the front! Haha. But seriously, if you are shooting very long ranges and don't have enough elevation adjustment in the scope use the pic rail, these are endless options when it comes to picatinny rings, if you don't need the extra elevation Talley rings are a very good affordable option and you can get an anticant bubble level top cap for the rear ring which is great, Tikka Optilocks are more expensive but a good solid mount and the plastic insert allows the scope to align itself in the rings with no tension of damage to the scope tube, if you go for Talley's I recommend buying their alignment tube for mounting the rings, much easier than lapping the rings. As far as ring heights go Tikka Optilock RM lows or Talley lows should have the objective bell clear of the barrel. I then check my eye alignment with the scope by closing my eye, shoulder the rifle as you would for an off hand shot then open your eye and see if you're looking thru the center of the scope ie not black blurring around the edge of your field of view and eye relief is correct. I may have missed something or someone with more knowledge than I may have better suggestions. Cheers Brett.
    anthony likes this.

Banned
    I have a set of Tikka Talleys here for sale that are perfect for a Z5. I might even sell a Z5 with them

Quote Originally Posted by anthony View Post
    Hi all,

Cheers
    Anthony
    Get some Tikka one piece Optilocks.
    I only have a set for Sakos with the tapered dovetails.
    No problem with objective clearance. I have two on Sakos.
    PM me if you want. I’m in Sth Auckland and can install for you, with correct torques and I have a scope level.

I can boresight down my hall way to get you on the paper……

B
    anthony likes this.

optilocks

Optiloks z5s have being known to malfunction in none lapped tally’s or lap some tally’s their a fantastic rings ditch the tail 100%
    anthony likes this.

+1 low talleys

Go for Talleys, lighter than Optilocks

Mixed suggestions here, can't find wrong with either really.

Just found the set of low Talley rings that I had my Z5 attached to on my Tikka in my collection here. PM me if your interested.
    ZeroPak Vacuum Sealers, Zero air Zero waste

Low optilocs. Have a t3 and z5 mounted in them.