Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Bolt action 300BLK/308 subsonic

Most of those norinco barrels do not have their bore centered to the outside of the barrel where it gets cut for doing bush pigs suppressed guns. As long as the gunsmith who fits the suppressor knows what he is doing , that is fine. But concentricity with out side of the bore can be as fare as 1.5 mm out!

mine is a bisley one and is just fine n dandy....personally if he bore wasnt centred I wouldnt take it out if the shop....I have seen it once before and believe it or not it was a BLR .243!!!!!

Fast twist 308

For anyone interested, have a look at the following website for more info. www.kaimairifle.co.nz

I have done the occassional custom 300 whisper, blackout, 30BR, and 308win with 1:7 or 1:8" barrel for customers over the past 20 years, but with the introduction (in about 2014??) of the Lehigh 168gr bullets for deer it has been a game changer.

So i have started to promote the Kaimai 308win as an all-round option in the past couple of years. There is a fair bit of general info on the website for anyone who is wanting to learn more. In my opinion the days of doing 44mag or big .50 bore options have pretty much been relegated into redundancy by the Lehighs. Sure, they are expensive at $2.20 a pop, but if you are just using them for deer only then it's not too bad. You can still use cheaper bullets for plinking, or goats, or whatever.

I don't know if the new Hornady subsonic 30cal bullets will be able to match the terminal performance of the Lehighs, but we will no doubt be doing some tests once they are available. Email me if you want any info on a build, etc. as the costs do vary depending on if a donor rifle is being supplied or not. Cheers, Dean.
    WallyR and MB like this.
    Everyone has the right to their own opinion, but that doesn't mean that every opinion is right.

any word on WHEN we will see these unicorn turds??? ooops I mean hornady subsonic projectiles.....
    the 151s shootersnz/Robert makes are pretty darn good. 14mm expansion from sub sonic .308 pill isnt to be sneazed at...and mine are going really slow I believe.
    csmiffy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dfmaisey View Post
    For anyone interested, have a look at the following website for more info. www.kaimairifle.co.nz

I have done the occassional custom 300 whisper, blackout, 30BR, and 308win with 1:7 or 1:8" barrel for customers over the past 20 years, but with the introduction (in about 2014??) of the Lehigh 168gr bullets for deer it has been a game changer.

So i have started to promote the Kaimai 308win as an all-round option in the past couple of years. There is a fair bit of general info on the website for anyone who is wanting to learn more. In my opinion the days of doing 44mag or big .50 bore options have pretty much been relegated into redundancy by the Lehighs. Sure, they are expensive at $2.20 a pop, but if you are just using them for deer only then it's not too bad. You can still use cheaper bullets for plinking, or goats, or whatever.

I don't know if the new Hornady subsonic 30cal bullets will be able to match the terminal performance of the Lehighs, but we will no doubt be doing some tests once they are available. Email me if you want any info on a build, etc. as the costs do vary depending on if a donor rifle is being supplied or not. Cheers, Dean.
    for over a 100 years people have been saying the Big Bores day is over . . . history has proven otherwise

for the price of 1 LeHigh i can cast 100 405gr. .45 bullets . . . . $220 for a 100 LeHighs puts them in the exotic category

technology has worked to improve the performance of the .30cals but it didnt leave out the Big Bores . . . with modern scopes, rangefinders, apps, bullets, custom molds the old calibers, and the many modern Big Bores have made Big gains as well.

my 2C
    shooternz and Micky Duck like this.
    without a picture . .. it never happened !

I would agree, I can load mt .375WSM, sub-sonic with a big lead slug for fun (or bush hunting ) OR a big arse bullet going fast just in case I find an elephant in the bush.
    You need to practise and that means 3,4 or 5 dollar projectiles are not an option for me at least.
    I would love a big 338 terminator or similar but reality is I could not afford to practise with it.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

15cents per projectile...couple of cents for primer....6ish grns of trail boss (after years of loading for poohseventy that took a bit to get head around) cases last ages as stuff all stress ...hmmmmm yip I can affort to plink/shoot hares/possums/rabbits as much as I like.
    mikee and shooternz like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    For the cost of the exercice you will probably got a ruger American in 450 BM?
    yup fair enough. Was more thinking if a donor junker 303 popped up with a naffed barrel but even them seem to be a bit dear.
    Barrels seem to worth as much as rifles now.
    Back in '91 when my Winchester liteweight 243 was something like 900-1000 buckeroos with rings.
    I never got a rebarrel done back then but just a basic one I seem to remember was maybe 500 fitted?
    Rifles are comparatively cheaper nowadays- I don't see many new barrels under 700 dollars (usually more) and they still have to be fitted and maybe profiled.