Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: Bolt fluting - is the weight reduction worth it?

Do it. Looks good and all adds up.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Nice rig!!

I did light bolt shroud, firing pin etc but agree best way to save weight on a model 7 is to get @stug to make you a CF stock.

If you want to save weight it generally pays to look at the shooter - the heaviest part of the system and most likely to have some spare.
    7mmsaum and veitnamcam like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    If you want to save weight it generally pays to look at the shooter - the heaviest part of the system and most likely to have some spare.
    Do we know one another or was that just uncanny?
    kimjon and Cyclops like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Thanks....I agree.
    But that's not the question. I would sooner spend money on gear than getting a chopper ride and a pleasant side effect of walking everywhere is a decent level of fitness
    veitnamcam and Cyclops like this.

Im sure the new breed of hunters are getting soft. Rifles are genrally far lighter than they were years ago. Everyone wants to chop then down to fuck all, flute there bolt and barrel. Get the lightest scope etc etc . They no where as heavy these days and I have no problem carrying my 700 308 24 inch rifle for 8-9 hours bush stalking. I don't end up with aching arms, the weights not bad, and wouldn't dream of chopping this or that to save some weight. Bolt fluting is a waste of money other than for looks, and some people like the look so all good if that's the case. Stocks the biggest weight saving but if you got bi pods and suppressors that's not helping you if you concerned about a wee bit more weight. I say toughen up lmao
    john m, northdude and 257weatherby like this.

Just another way to enjoy hunting buddy. I have both heavy and light rifles and there is a perverse pleasure in going lighter: don't knock it 'till you try it haha.

I got it done on my tikka bushpig when they were drilling a hole in the bolt for the safety half cock, it was going to cost bugger all extra in the scheme of things to get it done. I don't think it saves much weight but the spiral flutes look awesome!
    deer243 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli View Post
    Just another way to enjoy hunting buddy. I have both heavy and light rifles and there is a perverse pleasure in going lighter: don't knock it 'till you try it haha.
    What you don't know doesn't hurt you I suppose haha but just cracks me up the way some new hunters go about their set up. A few I know have gone suppressors and bi pod way, not for hearing mind you but its the in thing and thing they shoot more animals if its as quiet as.They buy 5 dollar rounds because they think they kill better ,put massive limp savers on weak recoil rifles like 243, 7m-08 etc and put on big scopes that make shooting game at 500m easier even thou they havnt shot anything ever pass 120m. Then they moan like fuck their set up is too heavy and want chop this and that to get it down to something like it was before they stuffed around with it. Spend a small forture, carry on how good their rifle groups at the range and maybe end up shooting 1or 2 animals a year if they lucky.
    veitnamcam, mikee, john m and 1 others like this.

I'd be happy with 1 or 2 animals a year
    deer243 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by deer243 View Post
    What you don't know doesn't hurt you I suppose haha but just cracks me up the way some new hunters go about their set up. A few I know have gone suppressors and bi pod way, not for hearing mind you but its the in thing and thing they shoot more animals if its as quiet as.They buy 5 dollar rounds because they think they kill better ,put massive limp savers on weak recoil rifles like 243, 7m-08 etc and put on big scopes that make shooting game at 500m easier even thou they havnt shot anything ever pass 120m. Then they moan like fuck their set up is too heavy and want chop this and that to get it down to something like it was before they stuffed around with it. Spend a small forture, carry on how good their rifle groups at the range and maybe end up shooting 1or 2 animals a year if they lucky.
    Have we met?? I think you might have just described me!!! except my rifle is not a poo for free
    deer243 likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Take a piss before you go, that'll save about the same weight as the entire bolt

Sent from my workbench
    deer243 and Cyclops like this.
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

northdude
    it funny how a word in English can have so many different meanings I think one of the meanings for hunting is gun fashion parade the cheapest thing you could do is next time take a really heavy rifle with you and after that your rem will instantly be lighter

Bolt fluting is only worthwhile as part of the whole package. I have a Model 7 that I have done everything to lighten. From memory bare rifle weight was 7lb something. After bolt fluting, lightweight firing pin, carbon fibre stock, fluting barrel the bare rifle is 5lb 4 oz.
    I've got all the individual weight savings on the computer at home, bit from memory a lightweight firing pin saved more weight than bolt fluting, by quite a way.
    veitnamcam, kimjon, Gibo and 1 others like this.