Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Boyds Stocks

Iv sent them an email, we will see where that goes $wise and hassle wise

Just got a reply from arms officer, if its an a-cat stock, no permit is required. I'll keep the email just in case customs think otherwise as they obviously have with some others. Now I just need the guys at Boyds to reply....the longer they take the more tempted I am by some of the Microfit options.....
    Thanks for the info Lockee, I didnt word myself quite right, I was a bit tongue in cheek about the different interpretations we are dealing with. Some people have trouble posting a scope, some have no issues with a stock, others get pulled up on it.

DAF
    Quote Originally Posted by horihunter View Post
    Just got a reply from arms officer, if its an a-cat stock, no permit is required. I'll keep the email just in case customs think otherwise as they obviously have with some others. Now I just need the guys at Boyds to reply....the longer they take the more tempted I am by some of the Microfit options.....
    Thanks for the info Lockee, I didnt word myself quite right, I was a bit tongue in cheek about the different interpretations we are dealing with. Some people have trouble posting a scope, some have no issues with a stock, others get pulled up on it.
    You will notice the act does not talk about 'A' Cat not needing a permit as this was my question and I was pointed back to the act. Good luck as its challenging dealing with the situation after the fact if they decide to pull you up on it.
    "Such is life..." - Ned Kelly

Impure Lead Flinger
    Hori bloody hunter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im now on richards microfit spending damn money

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Abort abort!

Richards Microfit is not a real thing! It's just a fake website. No rifles stock will ever come.

I'm waiting on a 17HMR stock from 2008
    DAM!!!!! Wont expect a reply to my email then....
    Looks like either Boyds or local, was wanting a cheap laminate to experiment with though...

Quote Originally Posted by DAF View Post
    You will notice the act does not talk about 'A' Cat not needing a permit as this was my question and I was pointed back to the act. Good luck as its challenging dealing with the situation after the fact if they decide to pull you up on it.
    Your right Daf it doesnt....my other question was how to arrange a permit, they never replied to that. Was it a stock you had held or other parts?

Impure Lead Flinger
    Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Abort abort!

Richards Microfit is not a real thing! It's just a fake website. No rifles stock will ever come.

I'm waiting on a 17HMR stock from 2008
    I onli want a decent stock for a lefty savage 22mag

DAF
    Quote Originally Posted by horihunter View Post
    Your right Daf it doesnt....my other question was how to arrange a permit, they never replied to that.
    To get a permit takes almost no time, ring in advance or email what you want the permit for so they can prepare in advance.
    Turn up at the AO's counter at agreed time and fill out a simple form, the AO will then write the permit and give you the pink copy, which you will then need to send this original to customs when required.

I hope this helps
    "Such is life..." - Ned Kelly

As Steve has said, just had a mauser 98 stock and trigger arrive for the .257 project no issues at all.

Quote Originally Posted by DAF View Post
    I thought that lot was in the new draft laws which got abandoned. Was basically a cut and paste of what the UN wanted but was decided was unworkable here.

R93
    Yep, any police officer can issue the permit. I queried it when Daf pointed out the act to me. The act is clear however it seems it is interprited differently by some.
    I was e mailed by the local Arms officer saying I needed one and he sorted it for me because my mate who is a policeman went to him for clarification.
    It was easy and if it covers me from any scrutiny I will get one again in future.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

They've been saying all kinds of shit lately regarding permits. Mr Green instructed his officers not to issue permits for any A cat parts, as they are not required. My AO has never written me a permit for any gun parts I have imported, that he has known about, but I'm sure he would help me if customs went handicap on me. Maybe they just won't issue permits for scary black semi auto parts. I'm gonna order a Boyds stock soon too.

boyds dont do an uninletted left handed stock according to their email which is a shame. anyone that has bought a boyds classic, does it have much of a cheek weld or palm swell or anythin? I'm looking at pictures from my phone and it's a bit hard to tell

That sounds odd, as it is just a left handed stock before they machine for any particular action.

I have one you can check out if you wish. Will not start to fit it in for a few weeks, if I do.

Yeah I was surprised,I might have a look at yours Gadgetman, may have sorted a local stock too but would like to see the boyds (no rush on it)