Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Bring stuff in luggage from the US/Canada

Bringing this one back from the dead.

I'm off to Canada for work and am planning to bring back a lot of new toys.My brother is in the states and can source the stuff for me cheap, then we'll meet up in Canada where it seems to be easier to take firearm related items from.

Obviously bipods, scopes, knives etc are no problem,

What about aftermarket triggers? Or a new prefit barrel for my savage?
    How hard is it to buy and leave with a full rifle?

parts not a problem,

complete rifles you'll need to jump through the hoops

Applying for an Export Permit for Firearms, Related Goods and Ammunition

Thanks for that.
    Would barrels fall into this as 'related goods'?

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    parts not a problem,

complete rifles you'll need to jump through the hoops

Applying for an Export Permit for Firearms, Related Goods and Ammunition

no problem AFAIK,

they post them out without issue, so see no diff in what your wanting to do

Quote Originally Posted by bigreddog View Post
    Bringing this one back from the dead.

I'm off to Canada for work and am planning to bring back a lot of new toys.My brother is in the states and can source the stuff for me cheap, then we'll meet up in Canada where it seems to be easier to take firearm related items from.

Obviously bipods, scopes, knives etc are no problem,

What about aftermarket triggers? Or a new prefit barrel for my savage?
    How hard is it to buy and leave with a full rifle?
    It is not hard to leave with a rifle, as luggage, just need declaring and a few extra $$$ in baggage fees,
    your problem will be to legally have one, as you need a firearms license, you can apply for a visitors license with the RCMP, but not sure if this will enable you to buy a rifle,
    after market trigger wont be a problem, but a barrel may need an import/export permit, not sure.
    prices have gone up quite a bit in Canada, due to the $$$ dropping but are still 1/3 -1/2 less than NZ,
    were are you going to be working ?

Quote Originally Posted by southernman View Post
    It is not hard to leave with a rifle, as luggage, just need declaring and a few extra $$$ in baggage fees,
    your problem will be to legally have one, as you need a firearms license, you can apply for a visitors license with the RCMP, but not sure if this will enable you to buy a rifle,
    after market trigger wont be a problem, but a barrel may need an import/export permit, not sure.
    prices have gone up quite a bit in Canada, due to the $$$ dropping but are still 1/3 -1/2 less than NZ,
    were are you going to be working ?
    Thanks for that.
    I'm going to be in Nova Scotia for a week at a conference, then a couple of weeks exploring Canada.
    The last week I'm there I am planning to attend a bushcraft course with Mors Kochanski near Edmonton, Alberta.
    Any tips on things to do? Whitewater, climbing, hunting, kayak fishing etc? Looks like plenty to do but always good to get local advice.

Well I arn't really local, as its 6000km away from were I was living, however my son has been in Halifax for 14 years so I have been out for a visit lots.
    Cabot trail in Cape Breton, is pretty cool as is the fort at louisbourg, and the Cintinal in Halifax,
    Alexander graham Bell museum in Baddeck, cape Breton is real cool,
    Halifax waterfront is well worth a wander, can access on to a couple old destroyers' and frigates and sometimes one of the tall sailing ships.
    Go to the national parks and rent a canoe, plenty of brook trout in most water ways, but mostly they are small,
    There is a couple sports stores in Nova scotia, but none of the really big ones that the west has, one in Dartmouth, and the other in Lantz. both are also pricy by Canada standards.
    Edmonton,
    sports stores to visit, Cabelas, wholesale sports, and ensure you go to P&D enterprise's,
    from Edmonton, spend sum time in the river valley,
    white water trips in the Rockies, and 4 hrs drive to Jasper, lots to do there outdoors's, climbing, tramping etc.
    when are you going that will dictate fishing as spring run off is not far away and the rivers will be in flood, sum very good fishing for trout around Alberta, take a small spinning rod, and get a license, they are cheap compared to NZ,