Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: BRNO 600 Question

BRNO 600 Question

G'Day Fellas,

I have a hankering for a Mauser based walnut/blued rifle to add to the stable of functional but not beautiful stainless/plastic/carbon rifles in the fleet. Must be an age thing.

Have seen a BRNO 600 based custom rifle that really looks the part, but I don't know a lot about BRNOs at all except that they are Mauser based. So, question is - how do they rate, what are the triggers like to use, how well made are the receivers, and anything else the experts can add?

Thanks in advance.
    The member formally known as Spitfire

my first rifle was a brno 601 in 308 and they are great rifles

big fan of the action and the stocks basically mirror the sako 75
    40mm likes this.

they are well made and many had very nice wood work - my only bitch was with the set trigger many came with - the trigger had an insert and one pushed the trigger foward which then
    cocked and gave a hair trigger - well many were just way to light - and worse when one used the trigger as normal to heavy - some came with just a normal trigger and way better - but all fixable if one can get a normal trigger to fit - but very nice rifles

There was a husky 270 for cheap on trademe. 450 buy now I think.

There are two different factory triggers: single set trigger and standard trigger. Originally, each rifle was supplied with both triggers, one fitted and the other in a little bag with a fitting tool. I prefer the set type. I have measured a 308 rifle (model ZKK601) which has a single set trigger: unset trigger breaks at 3lb (very smooth), set at 10oz (breaking a glass rod). Both types of triggers are adjustable.
    Earlier rifles came with a pop-up rear aperture sight. There seems to be a general desire to have this type of action due to this 'cute' feature. The BRNO actions will take Tikka rings but BRNO pattern rings are better because they fit the arrest cutout on the scope mount grooves. There are very good used Tasco brand Australian made steel rings readily available on the second hand market in NZ.
    The actions are, of course, controlled round feed. The 600ZKK is designed for 270/30-06 type length cartridges. There is a longer magnum action (ZKK602) for 375H&H. There is also the tiny 465 action for the 22 Hornet/222/223 range of cartridges.
    There is a lot of enthusiasm in the USA for the BRNO action, perhaps, partly due to rarity due to problems importing from a Soviet country. There is not the same level of enthusiam in NZ because there are quite a few BRNO actioned rifles around (and in Australia). The ZKK was discontinued and the action changed to the 550 type, also a controlled round feed. In the last few years the 550 appears to have been dropped for a push feed model in the NZ shops. Some people saw the 600 series as smoother than the 550 due to manufacturing shortcuts, and the earlier 600s are better than the later production, due to wars/fires/etc. damaging production.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

I have a couple of zkks they are certainly a bit less finished than say a sako but average around $600 to buy. Nice stock in the hands and shoot ok . I like them.

I like brnos and huskies. I've got a brno601 but would be equally happy with a husky

they shoot well to normally

Nice rifles, wouldn't buy anything not in current production or well supported by the aftermarket for replacement parts

I actually liked my push forward trigger, but I do like very light triggers.
    Bill999 and Micky Duck like this.

https://www.abebooks.com/book-search...de-haas-frank/

get this book if you want lots of good info on BRNOs etc from back in the day
    without a picture . .. it never happened !

The earlier blued 600 series were finished better than the latter parkerized run.Tooling marks not polished out in the actions meaning quite rough cycling til well used smoothing out the rough spots.If you want a small ring Mauser in a long action ,I,d lean to a 1600 Husky.Better off the shelf finishing,lighter in weight,although just an average military Mauser 2 stage trigger with the first bump swiped off.

Great advice in just a few hours, which I really appreciate. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience fellas.
    The member formally known as Spitfire

Also look at prewar Husqvarna with C ring Mauser type actions made by FN.

I got a '67 built one I bought in '69 and that thing has been solid as a rock. The stock was plain as buggery, so I fell over a bank and broke it at the wrist - so I made a new one .......... which is plain as buggery.
    Threw away the set trigger on mine when it went off when I wasn't looking - and that's the only experience I had with those.
    The pop-up peep sight is nice to have as I'd tramp with my scope in the daypack which made it an 'easy carry' - yet I was still 'in the game' if something popped out - and I shot a lot of deer with 'irons'.

Husky's are nice, but I never had one.

At the end of the day - your gun is just a delivery system like a mailman or the wage clerk - you want it to be accurate and reliable and those BRNO's are exactly that.
    john m and Micky Duck like this.