Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By JohnQT
  • 1 Post By hunter Al.7mm08
  • 1 Post By Howa1500
  • 1 Post By NewbieZAR
  • 1 Post By Mangle
  • 1 Post By GSP HUNTER
  • 1 Post By TLB

Thread: PPU & S&B 243 ammo?

PPU & S&B 243 ammo?

Hi Team,

Looking for on the ground experience.

Anyone using PPU 90 or 100 grain 243 grain or Sellor and Bellot 100g?

Looking for a basic and cost efficient factory goat, pig cull option to feed my Winchester featherweight.
    So far it likes the 100g PMC, 100g Sako and Fiocchi 95 SST.

Yet to feed it the 80grainers.

Cheers

S&B brass in .308 absolutely sucked to reload..was harder than the hobbs of hell. PPU is highland same rounddifferent box so keep and eye out its often in farm centres for reasonable price.
    GSP HUNTER likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I used to use the S&B 100gr in my old Howa .243. it would shoot 5 rounds into an inch or so at 100m and found them to work well enough on all size of critters, within reason. I mainly used it on fallow, and goats which it was great at, and even took a red stag at 255m and it dropped on the spot. I didn't recover the projectile as I wasn't interested in that back then, but they definitely always did the job for me.
    I had saved up a heap of brass but was told not to use the S&B brass to reload with
    GSP HUNTER likes this.

A mate brought a few box's PPU for his Tikka .243. Couldn't close the bolt on them. Tried them in my Howa, worked just fine. Might have been a one off but might pay to try a few before you bulk buy.

Sent from my SM-G525F using Tapatalk
    GSP HUNTER likes this.

PPU in the 100gr drops deer pretty easily, you do know serbia has recently banned the export of arms/ammunition ie. ppu, so its probably not going to be easy to get once current supplies dry up. I use to shoot a bit of the s&b, it was fine, wasn't spectacular but for the price I couldn't complain
    GSP HUNTER likes this.

Walking my rifle
    I am on holiday in South Africa at the moment and shot a couple Blesbuck with the 100gr S&B 243 ammo on monday and it worked like any other softpoint I've ever used so id happily use it on NZ deer, it seemed to have held together a bit even as i didn't find any bits of lead in the meat. Shots were all under 150m. for refrence, Blesbuck are propably the size of a big fallow buck
    GSP HUNTER likes this.
    If you can't kill it with bullets, dont f*ck with it.

Have you tried the 100gr Blue Box Federal....? I once used a Tikka 590 on its 3rd barrel that had shot thousands upon thousands of rounds of that ammo through it with obvious results.....gotta be worth a go.
    GSP HUNTER likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangle View Post
    Have you tried the 100gr Blue Box Federal....? I once used a Tikka 590 on its 3rd barrel that had shot thousands upon thousands of rounds of that ammo through it with obvious results.....gotta be worth a go.
    Not yet Mangle, but its on my list. Are they standard hotcors?
    Always been a fan of the blue box in 308 and 270, my blr hates the 150 grain fed blue in 7mm08.
    Thats another story.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Banned
    I use PPU 100 grainers in my M98 Mauser 243. Nothing I have shot with it survived the experience.

Actually I use any 100 grain SP ammo in my 243 - neither it nor I am a gun whore or need brand-label ammo to feel good about ourselves. Find what works for you , and buy as much of it as you can.

SB used to do a partition in one of their 243 loads.
    Always meant to buy some but didn't. Their advertised speed for them was a bit low from memory but would've worked pretty well I'd imagine

TLB
    I've used the the 100gr ppu, only on goats though. In my experience it didn't kill with any kind of authority, as with a couple of other 100gr sp brands, so I never bothered using it on deer. The 95gr fiocchi stuff kills a lot better.
    Never tried any of the lighter weight projectiles so can't comment.
    GSP HUNTER likes this.