Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By vulcannz
  • 2 Post By gerald.
  • 2 Post By gonetropo
  • 2 Post By Fssprecision

Thread: browning trombone

browning trombone

hey all I have a browning trobone that was given to me a few years ago and like most trombones the stock is broken. the person who gave me the gun asked me to get it restored one day so that it gets used instead of sitting in the safe. so If anyone knows a stock builder or someone who has some experince it would be much apprectiated. and would anyone know the rough cost of this.

also how hard would it be to get a fore end done aswell so that they match and it looks good.

cheers.

Never happened unless a picture is posted

Name:  20221008_115007.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  2.59 MB

Rivers To Ranges in Hastings have a guy that may be able to make you a new buttstock.
    Take it into them and see what they say,\.

If a rough bustard like myself can make a buttock for a single shot I would think if you sat down for 10 mins an idea would form in your mind and presto.

Hey @matthewhall2912 I could potentially build one for you, but be warned- you really want to like the rifle, as good stockwork is not cheap. I guess it all depends on what standard of workmanship you will accept. Tight well fitting inletting takes a lot of time. On the plus side, there’s no checkering, so that reduces the job by about 15-20 hours.

A low grade walnut blank will cost you around $200-300, and then probably about 40 hours labour to inlet, shape and finish it. Long story short, you could buy 3 trombones for how much it’ll cost to get a new stock made. High quality hand made things just aren’t cheap unfortunately.

Also worth noting the rifle may not be legal as its magazine is specified at 11 rounds capacity. If so you will need to get the tube modified by a gunsmith (another couple of hundred bucks).
    Fssprecision likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by vulcannz View Post
    Also worth noting the rifle may not be legal as its magazine is specified at 11 rounds capacity. If so you will need to get the tube modified by a gunsmith (another couple of hundred bucks).
    Negitive.
    Just take the pin out the ride and pop a straw in there.. hey presto.. legal
    Got-ya and csmiffy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeyJason View Post
    If a rough bustard like myself can make a buttock for a single shot I would think if you sat down for 10 mins an idea would form in your mind and presto.
    i hope you mean "butt stock" or you might be talking out yer bum
    csmiffy and Eat Meater like this.

First I should say that was one of the gunsmiths who was involved with the tube mag modifications, I have done over 400 now. When we were consulting with Wellington on what was required they were emphatic that a modification must be “permanent” so an easily removed bit of sick will likely not comply
    vulcannz and Hunter_Nick like this.