Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree172Likes

Thread: BSA centrefire variants

Have the same range adaptor which came with my Majestic when I bought it. Never used it but has been a good talking point over the years. I had a bronze sleeve loctited inside the brake to reduce the noise.
    Micky Duck and Mathias like this.

Got a BSA CF2 270 coming in the mail as we speak. Its my first rifle so excited to get my hands on it. Interesting reading about a bit of the history of the BSA rifles
    Micky Duck and Mathias like this.
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit ......... wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Quote Originally Posted by Copelli View Post
    Mathias

Your Posts are extremely interesting. For one, they have finally cleared up for me the ongoing (global) confusion about the BSA 'Hunter' models of the 1950's. Technically speaking, the only 'Hunter' models were the short action .222 and .22 Hornet models with 'Hunter' stamped on the outer chamber. However, your .220 Swift is the FIRST non .222 or .22 Hornet I have ever seen so stamped 'Hunter' by BSA. I would therefore suggest yours is a VERY rare Rifle!

Also, your Viscount Box labelled 'Hunter' (which I have also never seen before) 100% proves that the old timers on this Forum are right - i.e. throughout the 1950s ALL of the BSA centrefire Rifles of whatever calibre WERE called 'Hunters'. They may not have been stamped 'Hunter', but they were called 'Hunters'. It's great to have this FINALLY clarified.

I don't pretend to know everything about older BSA Rifles, but I do know quite a bit and can talk about them all day!! :-)

My current BSA Collection includes all original, mint .222 and .22 Hornet stamped 'Hunters', original mint Viscount/Regent Featherweights in .243 and 30-06, and a very interesting and original 1956 7x57 Viscount/Regent from South Africa which in its life has taken a LOT of big game out there.

SARVO sold an unfired, 100% mint US-market .222 Hunter on this Forum 2-3 years back, and I regret not buying it.

The older BSAs were generally excellent, accurate and beautiful Rifles, which is why the NZ Cullers blew most of their original barrels out! In fact, I think the main reason the NZ Cullers eventually moved to the Sako Vixen as a preferred shooter was its slight weight advantage (although it was/is also incredibly accurate), and because the Hunters had been so thrashed!
    Hugh Bradley, Stager Sports had many early BSA spare parts a few years ago. Remember him stating he had a Viscount 7x57 with "Hunter" on the action. Only one I.ve heard of.
    BSA270 likes this.

Here is what I use in BSA's today.
    1&2 243 Majestic, well worn, my everyday rifle.
    3&4 223 Hunter, MAB 1-10 stainless barrel all cerecoated.
    5&6 222 Hunter medium weight barrel, has no bolt so shares with .223. Was rebarreled in England before purchased so know little about it.
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Excellent, reliable Shooters tetawa - the 223 Hunter is particularly interesting, and nice.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Is that a Nickel on the Majestic?
    Yes, came from here.
    BSA270 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    I have a fixed four power which my dad put on the 3006 when he bought it in the late fifties. I'm tempted to get it cleaned up and re gassed and put it on the 222.
    I have a couple of 21/2- 6 power, love them. The one on the Majestic is a crosshair with dot, other is 3 posts with dot. Still very clear plus like the FFP set up.
    BSA270 likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    Here is what I use in BSA's today.
    1&2 243 Majestic, well worn, my everyday rifle.
    3&4 223 Hunter, MAB 1-10 stainless barrel all cerecoated.
    5&6 222 Hunter medium weight barrel, has no bolt so shares with .223. Was rebarreled in England before purchased so know little about it.
    What make are the mounts on the bottom photo ? We bit high but look to fit the dovetails

These old Kowa 4x scopes were good as well , as you can see it has been well used but glass still clear , Parker Hale mounts
    Name:  1A1991E5-4A86-4FA1-B360-C3E3E8062E31.jpeg
Views: 410
Size:  1.72 MB
    FRST, Micky Duck and BSA270 like this.

Moa Hunter likes this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    What make are the mounts on the bottom photo ? We bit high but look to fit the dovetails
    They are Sportmatch from Gunworks, like Parker Hale only come in 2 heights so anything scope wise over 40mm objective forces you into the highs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Looks very nice, when last advertised he stated that came from BSA factory without checkering, seemed unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    Looks very nice, when last advertised he stated that came from BSA factory without checkering, seemed unusual.
    I very much doubt that

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
    I very much doubt that
    Agreed

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Talking about scopes, I bought a B. Nickel 4x36 #4 reticle off Ryan Songhurst a few months ago. All in anticipation that the right period rifle (BSA or Sako) will show up for sale. Lovely optically bright scope, that I fitted to my more modern A1 Sako 223 to give it a home in the meantime.
    tetawa, BSA270 and Lucky like this.