Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Friwi

Thread: Rem 700 magazine well

over here, over there, either here, or there

Rem 700 magazine well

I have acquired a Rem 700 in .222Rem. Yeh, I know - 222 hard to get unless you reload. I do a bit of that.
    My puzzle is that within the magazine well is a small oblong box section part which appears to be a filler of some sort which reduces the length of the well, for the little 222 cartridge. Problem is, it does not seem to have any mechanism to secure it in a fixed position within the well. It seems that the follower plate rides on the front edge of that box section, but I may be wrong. If I open the floor-plate, it simply drops out.
    I've looked at a number of parts diagram images/lists and nothing is shown for that part.
    Can anybody point me in the right direction for info' on the Rem 700 action when the little 222 cartridge is used?

Thanks,
    49er

Here is a pic of the same setup for a 223. Later versions have the spacer spot welded in place but I seem to remember that in the older ones the spacer is loose. The 222/223 magazine box is a bit different to the standard 308 size cartridge ones as well
    Name:  176530.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  23.2 KB

Thanks.T
    hat does look like the arrangement. Mine must be the older variety, but it does seem odd that if I open the floor-plate the spacer simply drops out.
    Is that how it should be?

No, that is probably because the spacer has not been put on from the top . There are two tabs on the top which stop it from falling down. But sometime you can still hear the spacer rattling
    erniec and caberslash like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    No, that is probably because the spacer has not been put on from the top . There are two tabs on the top which stop it from falling down. But sometime you can still hear the spacer rattling
    Thanks.
    From the picture in post #2, and your description, I have a suspicion the the previous owner may have removed the bottom plate and magazine well which has resulted in the rear of the well to seperate far enough for the spacer to fall clear of those retainer lugs.
    I'll re-assemble it in the "correct" order.

Thanks all. Makes sense now.

49er