Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Budget Hunting Binoculars

Budget Hunting Binoculars

Hi all, first post in this forum. I have recently decided to get back into hunting after quite a long hiatus (having kids) so I have dusted off the old Howa .308 and get back into the hills.

I am after some recommendations on budget binoculars. I am aware that ideally, one should spend lots on binos and they are a very important bit of kit but unfortunately with 3 kids, a mortgage and a single income it is really not an option for me to be spending more than about $500. I am sure budget binos will miss some animals but they have to be better than just walking around the tops squinting. Maybe in a few years if I actually end up getting out much I will save up and get some decent ones but just after something to keep me going. I am not too sure on magnification but I think Ill go for 10x42 given that the most enjoyable hunting around Canterbury (in my opinion) seems to be mostly on the open tops. I do have a light tripod I might take up to assist in long glassing sessions

I see that there are quite a few similar threads to this around and I have read through most of them but there don't seem to be any recent ones and with bino models changing constantly I thought I would ask again.

I have had my eye on both the vortex diamondback HD 10x42 and the Delta Optical Forest II 10x42, both are around $400. I have seen pretty good reviews about the Vortex Diamondbacks but not much on the Delta Optical apart from the odd good mention on this site. Does anyone have experience on comparing these two models? I understand the vortex Diamondbacks have had significant improvements in recent years. Any other contenders in this general price range?

Cheers for reading.

I picked up a pair of as new Leupold BX2 10x50 off this site for well less than $500 and certainly rate them. I would look at any of the BX2 range if they came up
    #DANNYCENT

picked up a 2nd hand pair of Ziess Terra 8x32 a couple of years back off this site for around $350. Bloody good value for money and optics plenty good enough.
    dannyb likes this.

Buy a pair of multi/fully coated porro binoculars. Slightly heavier but better value for money than straight/roof prism binos. If the weight difference is that crucial then you are too fat.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

my bushnel 10x binos are great to sit glassing with and have found quite a few animals for me now...... took me years to come around to carrying binos instead of using scope...these JUST fit inside tit pocket of my butchers coat . works well.
    16Tontovarish likes this.

I have a pair of Minox 10x42s cost $400 work well 10yrs old now.
    CBH Australia likes this.

Keep an eye out for something that’s 2nd hand but tidy, you’ll often pay half the RRP
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketpl...8?bof=iw2PgNke

I have some Zen Ray Ed2 optically and mechanically perfect for $400, come with bino harness

I have a pair of diamond back 10x50 hd, I quite like them. Was at a hut a couple of years back had them side by side with bx-1 10x42. in bright light the bx-1 had less flaring ( dont know if it's a correct term) on the bright edges of objects. As it got darker the diamond back had a few more minutes of usability. The other thing with the 10x50 is the eyepieces dont close up all that far. If I did it again I think I would hang out for 10x42 bx-2 on special, maybe. The case thing the diamond backs come with is pretty good too

Quote Originally Posted by nor-west View Post
    I have some Zen Ray Ed2 optically and mechanically perfect for $400, come with bino harness
    These will be bloody hard to beat in your price range. Was actually thinking the other day about putting up a wtb post for some zenrays as a pair to leave on the boat . I had a pair back in the day and they were great!
    nor-west and gadgetman like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

I got a spotting scope from these guys and found them good to deal with. And I got a set of Sightrons from Deadeye dicks a few years back. Dont know how these compare to what you are after , but Jacobs seems to have a few options in your budget.

https://www.jacobsdigital.co.nz/coll...ing-binoculars
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

GWH
    A good mate had zen ray primes, we both swapped back and forth with a pair of the older vortex diamond back 10x42's that were well under half the money, we both agreed we thought the vortexs were slightly better, thats all i still use and i see plenty of deer at long ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by trooper90 View Post
    I have a pair of Minox 10x42s cost $400 work well 10yrs old now.
    Looking through my mates Minox last week I was impressed.
    He has also been impressed with them for the price.
    I think his are 8x30 or somewhere around that

I use Meade 10x42 rainforest pro, were around $400. Really pleased with the glass performance not quite European levels but very good.

I’ve had two pairs of Zen-Rays. The first pair, the ocular lens actually came off as I took the binos out of my day bag to look at a deer. Zen-Ray replaced them for me. The replacement pair both rubber eyecups came off on the same trip. Whilst they went back on they had to be taped in place. They were pretty hopeless to use after that. So I grabbed a set of Steiners off a member here, at a similar price, and they have been awesome. I would recommend them.
    I don’t think I’m rough on gear but that was my experiences with Zen Rays - good binos for the price, good back up service but two failures was enough for me.
    GWH and Micky Duck like this.