Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Budget Hunting Binoculars

Had a look through my mates vortex binos the other day, dont know what model they were but very nice to look through, and probably not too highly priced either.
    If you are going cheaper, you might be better off with 8x binos, I have 10x Leicas and a pair secondhand of 8x Leupolds. I bought the Leupolds to keep at work because I didn't want the Leicas getting beaten up. The Leupolds are a nice set of glass to look through and can just as easily pick up deer at >1000m as the 10x bushnells that some of my colleagues have.

Your best bet for some good value glass though is to jump over to the buy/sell/swap section and put up a wanted to buy. Your $500 will get better glass here secondhand then what you will get new from the shops. Will also work in your favor to post on the introduce yourself section prior to posting a WTB.

Finally welcome back to the world of hunting.
    erniec, Micky Duck and Basenjiboy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Juicy View Post
    I have had my eye on both the vortex diamondback HD 10x42 and the Delta Optical Forest II 10x42, both are around $400. I have seen pretty good reviews about the Vortex Diamondbacks but not much on the Delta Optical apart from the odd good mention on this site. Does anyone have experience on comparing these two models? I understand the vortex Diamondbacks have had significant improvements in recent years. Any other contenders in this general price range?
    I got some entry level Deltas for one of my boys from Sarvo (on this forum), the Delta One 8x32s. Got them as a you're-not-a-kid anymore gift, something that will last him a while. They are really nice, compact, light, clear picture.

My older 8x Steiners have served me well.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    I picked up a pair of as new Leupold BX2 10x50 off this site for well less than $500 and certainly rate them. I would look at any of the BX2 range if they came up
    I got a pair of BX2 10x42 off here second hand but brand new still boxed for around $400 ish off here a while ago
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    I got a pair of BX2 10x42 off here second hand but brand new still boxed for around $400 ish off here a while ago
    paid even less than that for mine and they are bloody good buying even at $400
    Happy Jack likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

Keep an eye on trademe for Bushnell Legends.
    Not bad for price.
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketpl...5?bof=h611QAmK
    Were about $500 new.

Thanks for the advice guys. Ended up buying the Steiner Skyhawk 3 8x42s which 7.62 linked earlier in the thread. Got them for $450 and they seem to be worth about $900-1000 new so pretty happy. Thought I would go down the route of buying 2nd hand tidy condition ones and get better quality for my limited budget. Just have to get out and spot some animals now!
    gadgetman, gilly and RV1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    A good mate had zen ray primes, we both swapped back and forth with a pair of the older vortex diamond back 10x42's that were well under half the money, we both agreed we thought the vortexs were slightly better, thats all i still use and i see plenty of deer at long ranges.
    Yeah I'm still on the old diamondbacks as well. Good value and pretty nice optics. Good enough that I havnt bother to upgrade

Have a pair of vortex diamondbacks . Compared them against my mates Swarovskis the other day. Better colours in the swaro and longer twilight time but bloody heavy compared to the vortex and in my opinion not 2k better. Didnt get a burning desire to upgrade to be honest. The diamond backs are great bang for buck

FYIif you wear glasses I found bushnell to have a better eye releif than leupold binos.