Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hockshot

Thread: Burris E3 reticle

Burris E3 reticle

Just wondering if anyone has any experience and thoughts on the E3 ballistic reticle. Cheers

Would be interested in their comments too

If I was going to go for a ballsitic reticle in the Burris I would go for the Creedmoor reticle. way more info in the hash marks for both windage and elevation.
    BUT in my humble opinion the better options for longer range work are. firstly have a scope you can rely on to dial and then dial the elevation required for the distance to target. Or secondly just hold over for distance. For example a 200m zero with say a 6.5 Creedmoor will need a 9cm holdover for 250m, so just hold slightly high on the animal. A 300m shot will need a 23cm hold over, so hold just below the back line, assuming its a deer size target. 350m is a just above the back line hold. The same can be said for most average hunting cartridges. 270,30-06,308, 243.
    ZeroPak Vacuum Sealers, Zero air Zero waste

I'm just starting my journey with an E3 reticle myself. It's going to take some getting used to but I think it has some good points.

It's handy for shooting targets at 100 yards as the center cross is 1moa so fits nicely inside the 1 moa square that's in the center of my targets.

Windage marks are useful, enough to be shooting in up to 20mph winds to sensible ranges with my PRC.

I think to get the most out of the reticle if you're not dialling, you'll need to spend a lot of time with it to learn the drops and ranges or your particular set up.

There is a lot to look at and I think the creedmoore reticle is a bit busy, but that's just me and I'm used to my Viper vmr1 reticle which just has mil and half mil hash marks on both axis, very handy reticle.

I haven't shot further than 100 yards with the E3 yet, hopefully stretch out with it later this week.

I use the burris E1 on my 7mm08 and have setup a few mates rifles with them I find I'll sight them in at 100 bang on them use the holdover at 500 to "verify" the holdover and may have to lift it 1moa or so sometimes at that range it's 5 inches adjustment to more important to be perfect but at the 100 yrd end it might only mean your an inch high, my hold 308 was too slow to use the recticle right out to 500 but for most catridges it works well, the E3 seems similar and I guess would work the same

Any further feedback on this? Have looked through quite a few different scopes testing my eye issue against various reticle types and this one was by far the best.so far. That wee red cross instead of a dot and a three post along side the adjustability of a better quality scope seems to go along way to minimising the ghosting. Shop testing only goes so far though.
    “Age is a very high price to pay for maturity”

Hey me and brother both run the e3 reticle in signature hd 3x15 if you use the Burris app it gives you your hold over distances which seems to be pretty accurate with my brother getting a first round hit at 500 yards. Never seem to have any issues in low light conditions either

I have had one for a while and as above its great sighting in and for the cross is fine enough not obsurer small targets at range . I like the scope ,its not a vx 5 but it still pretty good and its a good solid unit as i have personally tested it 's crash proofness out .The scope came out fine ,me not so much but it still works like new .If you cant get a vx5 id recommend as the next choice .