Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By zimmer

Thread: Modern Metallic Sights

Modern Metallic Sights

Gidday Folks

It's 40 years since I seriously shot metallic sights of the double aperture type.

I've just acquired a Winchester M52 with a Lyman 48 rear and a Parker Hale 15mm foresight. I've been able to shoot some superb groups but man it's hard work for short sighted 61 year old eyes.

I can only shoot in really good light as the foresight tunnel seems to make things dark. And getting consistency with the rear aperture with my spectacles also takes a lot of concentration.

So - would some if the new stuff I see about on the sling and jacket shooters websites help?

I'm wondering about an adjustable iris with a built in dioptric correction and maybe a transparent front tunnel to get the foresight better lit . . . Although I'm also having trouble at the target end with light and I can't see changing the tunnel will make any difference to that.

Thoughts?

What sort of foresight elements are you using?
    What diameter is your rear aperture? 1.2 mm is a good starting point.
    Common failing is using too small a rear aperture under the belief that it is easier to centre the foresight.

I've shot with all three rear elements I have, from "ghost ring" down - I completely ignore the rear sight, my eye does the centering without any input from me (I did a fair amount of 3 position shooting in my 20s, under some top level coaching). As I mentioned an adjustable rear iris is on my list.

At the front I have one of the old Parker Hale sights that take the small 16 mm elements (currently a broad post, but I have adapted my aiming point to help with that) and I think it's too small and too long - when I "look up" I can clearly see the aiming point but it darkens when I get down on the sights (and obviously it also loses a lot of focus, but I expect that.

If you had a top level coach there's probably not a lot I can help youi with.
    Micky Duck likes this.

The equipment available today is just so different to the stuff about then . . .