Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: burris eliminator 3

Quote Originally Posted by Steveh054 View Post
    Now I know why Carlson and Gimp shit stir so much ...it is a lot of fun
    If you don't stir it, it sticks

True that

A mate and myself just talking about it tonight.We are both tooled up with the best of rf binos ketrels and all the other shit ya need but we were more thinking about when you didnt have time to do all your dope but just wanted to get on the deck and let rip before things fuck of.
    Would be really good on the spotlighting rifle as we get quite a few 600 yd shots presented in small clearings that you have got just seconds to identify beyond all doubt and then kill it.
    I am looking through the safe to see what can be sacrificed for a new toy but i hate selling shit.
    Might have to wait for another couple of cashys!
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

That's really a matter of improving efficiency of workflow and teamwork

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    That's really a matter of improving efficiency of workflow and teamwork
    Dont worry gimp we have a very efficient system already but more looking at the fact that there is no waiting for some one to measure the range and YELLING out the dope and then having to lift my glasses up to read the nf clicks put them back down get on target oh fuck its moved give me more dope and so on.
    i like the idea of identify target, locate in cross hairs squeeze the range button, dead fucking duck.
    Then you can have any mumpty on the light and when you miss there no one else to blame.
    Oh shit i better not get one then!

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    A mate and myself just talking about it tonight.We are both tooled up with the best of rf binos ketrels and all the other shit ya need but we were more thinking about when you didnt have time to do all your dope but just wanted to get on the deck and let rip before things fuck of.
    Would be really good on the spotlighting rifle as we get quite a few 600 yd shots presented in small clearings that you have got just seconds to identify beyond all doubt and then kill it.
    I am looking through the safe to see what can be sacrificed for a new toy but i hate selling shit.
    Might have to wait for another couple of cashys!
    Spotlighting, 600yrds, small clearings, only seconds to identify beyond all doubt and you want to speed up your shooting.

The Burris eliminator submarine will blot out most of your target at 600yrds with its thick crosshairs intersection, and in the dark you have a bright orange dot there compounding the problem.

It's not a shot I would like to take in the dark even with a 5.5-22-56 NXS and NPR1 reticle.

You include the theoretical statement at the start of you sentence "when you didn't have time to do all your dope (setup)"

For me this is natures way of keeping the 'game' safe, the time used in scope/ rifle setup ensures total identification of your target, if you seek to shortcut this it may become an ingredient in what would be a very unfortunate incident.
    Wildman, Tahr, ebf and 1 others like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Spotlighting, 600yrds, small clearings, only seconds to identify beyond all doubt and you want to speed up your shooting.

The Burris eliminator submarine will blot out most of your target at 600yrds with its thick crosshairs intersection, and in the dark you have a bright orange dot there compounding the problem.

It's not a shot I would like to take in the dark even with a 5.5-22-56 NXS and NPR1 reticle.

You include the theoretical statement at the start of you sentence "when you didn't have time to do all your dope (setup)"

For me this is natures way of keeping the 'game' safe, the time used in scope/ rifle setup ensures total identification of your target, if you seek to shortcut this it may become an ingredient in what would be a very unfortunate incident.
    I am with you on what you are trying to say. i haven't tried the eliminator at night to confirm which i presume you have so thanks for the heads up.i wonder if they have a dimmer system in the reticule or some thing that self adjusts to available light?
    We shoot quite a few deer out to 600 and with the light we use you can see the body and if its got a head that to with out any probs.
    As it so happens that is exactly the scope i am using except with the mildot reticle which is fine at that distance.
    also unfortunate accidents are not an option as we will make a call about taking the shot as wounded animals and dead people are not an option.it takes a lot of practice with top gear before i would recommend anyone trying to do this even to night shooting practice as things are a hell of a lot different looking with an HID
    The one good thing about an eliminator type scope would be more time been able to look at the animal through the scope before you lit it up with the reticule.
    Fast evaluation of your target is a matter of practice and at two to three nights a week some times i reckon we get it.
    Also an interesting comment on the thickness of the cross hairs as i am not a fan of big hairy ones!

Caretaker
    I do not know if the burris has a dimmer for low light, i have only used one once at night and was less impressed than my daylight experience with them.

You will return it to the shop after using it at night, especially if you are used to a large objective nightforce.

I do not know if the burris has a dimmer for low light, i have only used one once at night and was less impressed than my daylight experience with them.

You will return it to the shop after using it at night, especially if you are used to a large objective nightforce.
    Cheers 7mm it looks like a wait for the burris eliminator 4 perhaps.
    The old saying if it looks to good to be true it often is!

Caretaker
    Do you use the reticle illumination adjuster on your NF ?

I rarely have, and almost never use the lit reticle

Do you use the reticle illumination adjuster on your NF ?

I rarely have, and almost never use the lit reticle
    Good question 7mm, when our crew first got the nf,s we were pretty excited about this supposed amazing illuminated reticule.
    The down fall of the nf is that it is non adjustable with out taking the battery cover of and a small screw driver to adjust and once the novelty wore of after the first night 6 or 7 years ago i dont think i have ever used it again.
    My diavari tactical is a much nicer system as it is infinetley variable with a knob with in the parallax but alas that is flat and has been for a while which reminds me i should take it out and throw it away!
    The short answer to your question? No

Caretaker
    The Burris is a fairly good idea and helps some shooters with limited capability or experience, if we have to draw a line in the sand then lets say out to 500yrds.

You are obviously more experienced and successful and I'm sure appreciating quality glass and a fine reticle intersection for precise aiming at long distance, both things the Burris lacks.

Use that Burris at 600yrds at night and you wont be impressed, the Burris has a bright 1/3 moa dot shielding your view with its coloured 'flare' around the aimpoint, it's then you will know your Nightforce has been giving you a quality experience and is the right tool for the job.

The Burris is a shortcut in the world of LR, it needs better glass and a laser etched reticle, with .1 moa adjustable intensity LED dots on the vertical crosshair, then it might suit shots in low light from 400 to ( I'm guessing here) 700yrds.

The tried and proven spot your game animal, range it, input data, dial, and send it to the chiller routine has a lot to offer, it's safe !!!!!!!!! It constantly teaches the participants and it's fun interacting with mates, high quality components including scopes will always be part of that equation.

Burris flare with all the dots on (promo pic)

Nightforce NXS 5.5-22-56 NPR1 Reticle

Last edited by 7mmsaum; 30-08-2013 at 11:45 AM.

thanks for all the replies; things change constantly, for those of you that have been paying attention! Well one of our locals just spent two nights out under the bush with a broken femur , So as per instruction, half the funds have now gone on PLB looking like range finder may win the day. Point taken steve only use 6.5 in open, rifle for bush is 336 ss 30/30 shotgun scope. thanks again mike
    199p and rookiesniper like this.