Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree13Likes
  • 4 Post By Grey Kiwi
  • 2 Post By Joshy
  • 2 Post By Eat Meater
  • 5 Post By 30.06king

Thread: Buying scopes off EBAY

Buying scopes off EBAY

Hey all. Iv been eyeing up a scope or two on evay. Hoping someone here can shed some light on the topic. Has anyone tried to purchase something of the sort of ebay? Will I have trouble at customs or what not? Or damage in transport? Will ebay cover a refund if something went wrong? Looking to ship from the U.S.A

Any imput helps. Cheers

No Customs worry if total price under $1000.
    I've bought in a few lately from UK and (shudder) China.
    If over $1000 total expect to get reamed for customs fee, and GST @ 15% added on.
    USA is fairly tough on exporting of scopes. Not sure how you will get on there. I'm sure others will chime in if they know better.
    Scopes from UK are no problem though.
    Check out Optics Warehouse, UK. They have new, used, and ex demo scopes. Bought a few from them. Absolutely no hassles, and takes about 10 days UK to NZ.
    https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/
    Artillery...landscape adjustment since 1300AD.

Cool appreciate that. Was looking to spend over 1k so good to know that. Im also heading over to america soon. So was thinking maybei could collect a scope there and bring in back with me via carry on or checked in luggage? Anyone done that?
    Grey Kiwi and TimC like this.

You might want to declare the scope in that case if it's over 1k, or you could risk a $400 infringement fee. On the plus side, as mentioned inn another thread the 1k applies to postage too, so that brings the total down a little

Identify your target beyond all doubt because you never miss (right?) and I'll be missed.
    Last edited by Eat Meater; 10-07-2023 at 11:05 AM.
    Grey Kiwi and Joshy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshy View Post
    Cool appreciate that. Was looking to spend over 1k so good to know that. Im also heading over to america soon. So was thinking maybei could collect a scope there and bring in back with me via carry on or checked in luggage? Anyone done that?
    Josh,
    Yes, done exactly that several times for myself, once for a friend.
    Each time I declared genuine values and kept receipts in a handy pocket in case proof was requested. IIRC paid gst once only. Another time I brought a spendy Swarovski, bought used but looked really new and had original box, lens covers etc. Was sent to the NZ Customs counter at Auckland and told, yep, gst will be payable, go and see that lady over there who will tell you how much. Lady must have liked the look of me. She asked if the scope was new or second hand. I replied truthfully it was second hand but looked new and she was welcome to look herself. No worries she said, no gst on second hand and I got waved through. Nice !
    Grey Kiwi, csmiffy, dannyb and 2 others like this.