Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    If you want those ~*cheap us prices*~ it's probably better to organise it with an export agent from here, California tends to be overpriced on guns anyway

The only cheap rifles I see are on Forum classifieds but there are occasionally good deals to be had.

The rings/scopes and other parts certainly are though ... It may be worth buying a few sets of extra rings and a scope or two that you can sell for a good profit for when you get home.

I usually get 3 sets of warne rings that can be found for $50usd and retail for over $100 here.

Also bipods are a good buy.

I looked into purchasing a rifle as I go through Cali every 6 months... Too tough unless you know a mate who is willing to export for you.

P38
    Sadly it is looking like it's going into the too hard basket.

Cheers
    Pete

If you could find a way to get 30 round AR15 P-mags, you could be an instant millionaire.
    Buy them for $15 over there sell them $150 here, half price to what Guncity sells them for.

Tried it while there this time last year, was a definite no

Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    Sadly it is looking like it's going into the too hard basket.

Cheers
    Pete
    Its not worth it, technically it is possible but not worth the risks.

if you want something special then best to use an exporter, expensive but worth is. I purchased my very first AR this way in 2000. Cost me 2K landed all up at the time retail here was 8-9K so worth it. In fact I have imported 2 AR's complete and built quite a few others from parts also imported.

If you are just after a cheap common as muck Tikka or Glock then best to buy it here
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

I briefly looked into doing this last year when I holidayed in the US for six weeks.

Here's what I found out:-

You can give someone money in exchange for a firearm (buying it), but you can not take possession of it.

It has to be shipped to an FFL holder, who should be an Export Agent who will arrange the correct export paperwork - End User Certificates, Purchase Order, and the DSP-83 Form.

You would also need to get a NZ Police Import Permit to get it into NZ, and its needed for the Export Permit.

Costs are around USD$250 for the Export Permit, around USD$150 for the Agents time in doing the paperwork, and you'll have shipping to get whatever you buy to the Export Agent, then shipping from the US to NZ (from my experience between USD$70-160).

Its not impossible, it can be done, just gotta be sure all your shit is one sock. Its not the sort of thing you want to get wrong....

But, buying in Cali is retarded because lol banstate and elevated prices

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    But, buying in Cali is retarded because lol banstate and elevated prices
    Your right Gimp.

Nevada is looking more promising, but still difficult.

Will check out Hawaii too.

Haven't completely given up yet, trying to contact someone in the US embassy in wellywood who will talk to me.

Cheers
    Pete

I think Hawaii sucks too, I have never looked into their state laws

Wiki :

Acquiring a firearm in Hawaii requires a permit to acquire, issued to qualified applicants by the county police chief. There is a minimum 14-20 day waiting period for receiving a permit. A separate permit is required for each handgun(s) transaction to be acquired (valid for a period of 10 days), while a "long gun" permit can be used for any number of rifles or shotguns for a period of one year. In addition to passing a criminal background check, applicants must provide an affidavit of mental health, and agree to release their medical records. First time applicants must be fingerprinted by the FBI (fee applies). When applying to acquire a handgun, a handgun safety training course affidavit or hunter's education card is also required.[8]

Firearms acquired within the state must be registered with the chief of police within 5 days. Firearms brought in from out of state, including those owned prior to moving to Hawaii, must be registered within 3 days of arrival. Registration of firearms brought in from out of state does not involve a waiting period, however a FBI fingerprint and background check will be conducted. Registration is not required for black-powder firearms or firearms manufactured before 1899.[9]

Carrying a loaded firearm, concealed or not concealed, including in a vehicle, is a class A felony. Unloaded firearms that are secured in a gun case and are accompanied by a corresponding permit are allowed to be transported in a vehicle between the permitted owner's residence or business and: a place of repair; a target range; a licensed dealer's place of business; an organized, scheduled firearms show or exhibit; a place of formal hunter or firearm use training or instruction; or a police station.[10]

Fully automatic firearms, shotguns with barrels less than 18 inches long, and rifles with barrels less than 16 inches long are prohibited by state law. Also banned are handgun magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition, and semi-automatic handguns with certain combinations of features that the state has defined as "assault pistols".[1]

so yeah, Hawaii fucking sucks

P38
    They all pretty much suck if your an Alien.

Still haven't given up though.

Cheers
    Pete

Keep safe in the hills! Gunzrrr's Avatar
    I might be wrong but there are about 4 issues you need to be aware of. Certainly talk to your local firearms officer first.
    1) check the local state and federal laws. It can be easy to buy a rifle in most places in the US cos they don't care about the next stage which is ...
    2) its illegal to export (post home or pack in bags and check in luggage) not just weapons but also some components even though anyone like Cabela's sell'em to anyone. DONT UNDERESTIMATE THE DANGERS OF BREAKING A FEDERAL LAW IN THE US. 18 months in the slammer is a long time to dream about dead rabbits.
    3) Lastly - make sure you have the appropriate paperwork for NZ so you don't get into trouble this end. Also, don't forget the GST as well if over $700 (I think?).
    Basically - talk to your local gun shop and your local firearms officer.
    Keep safe on the borders in this case!!!
    Last edited by Gunzrrr; 11-11-2013 at 09:22 PM.