Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Can you wear out a .22 rimfire rifle ??

“New” extractor class from an old gunsmith fixed my JW15 extraction problems. That could give the impression the gun was wearing out but was 100% fixed.

The crown could also easily get a ding and is said to be the main cause of acquired accuracy problems. It’s a 1 Minute job to recross apparently not too technical so don’t pay a lot for it.

How accurate is it now ? My JW15 shots about 1cm spread of Centers at 25 yd but 3cm at 50m. If you need to shoot 50 then get paper and do 3 or 4 x 5 shot groups plus one with a good target ammo like elegy Marchand you might find accuracy is still fine. I think 2cm dread of Centers at 50m is good but if it does that at 25 it could still be perfectly useable.

apologies for auto correct in above post.
    "Re cut"
    "Eley Match"
    WallyR likes this.

Wore the action out in a 10/22 on the Pest board days but accuracy was still good. My Norinco had problems with the extractors so I replaced them and it has been good but now after many rounds spent shells do get stuck in chamber but as said earlier I just scrub the chamber out with a slightly larger brush than 22 cal and it will be fine for a while. My Norinco seems to have relatively weak extractor spring so maybe that's part of the problem, don't use at as much these days so no big problem.

The answer in reality is probably no. But you can have a shed load of fun trying.
    veitnamcam and mikee like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Thanks GunDoc, had lots of fun pulling the bolt down fully this evening, extractors taken out and a very light filing. There was a small amount of fouling but nothing major.
    However the extractor did look a little blunt a round , light filing seems to have approved shape. All back together ( fuck that spring clip that goes over the extractors is a mongrel to get back in ) chambered 10 rounds and extracting awesomely .
    A field test will be the next thing, chamber was cleaned 30 rounds ago properly so I don't expect build up with wax there yet.
    @ Bagheera , accuracy has always being good from this JW but I had a newer one that was poor. 100 mtr shots on rabbits with this one is very achievable .
    As for grouping it's good, maybe 20mm at 50 mtrs if I do my part.
    Living in Central and shooting the amount I do I have sort of lost interest in tight groups , sounds a bit harsh but a shot rabbit is a dead rabbit and I move on , if it is gut shot or wounded it's fucked.
    Naturally I like a quick clean kill but it's all about connecting and numbers, farmers are paying for my ammo on some farms so I work hard at the numbers part.
    I have one small farm of 200 acres with a lovely old couple, he buys my ammo. I shoot on at least one day of the weekend and a couple of times after work, few hours here and a few there. In two years i am coming up to 4000 rabbits.
    They reckon 10 rabbits eat the same as one sheep so that is a lot of extra food I have generated .
    I have a lovely French Unique that is to good to use as a work horse hence the $200 JW. It has proven to be an amazing little rifle, I look after my stuff but it's still done a lot of work and by the sounds of it has a lot more life left in it.

Kind of shame it's not a bit fucked really............would have been a great excuse for another .22 rabbit rifle.
    veitnamcam, madjon_ and gadgetman like this.

Another thought on this, someone mentioned the crown, on some 22 crown designs they can get "crusty", the guys who use Anschutz target rifles firing very high round counts have noted this. Its just a matter of cleaning the crown area carefully.
    viper likes this.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    One thing I've always done with .22 ammo is keep it in the original box or clean container when hunting. If I ever drop a round I biff it as there's more than likely going to be grit sticking to the bullet grease.

I have hunting friends who put a handful of rounds in their dirty jean pockets when rabbit shooting. This is in pumice soil country and pumice is very abrasive; makes me shudder. They're rough bastards so it doesn't bother them.