Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree134Likes

Thread: Carbon Fibre Tikka T3 Rifles

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
    ah sorry carbon fibre barrels.... the latest in unsubstantiated marketing BS....
    LOL you seen/built/shot one yet ?

I have seen, haven't shot, thought about and concluded the only tangible benefit is small amounts of weight reduction. But for the cost not worth it for me...

I do understand ascetic value, but fat barrels belong on bench rest guns. If I want carbon, I can put tape on ....

I might take more notice when bench rest guys do..... can 't see that happening at the prices though even if the performance is OK

There is more than just a little bit of weight to be saved if you compare a 24mm dia S/S barrel to a carbon wrapped barrel of equal dia I'm sure you will find it is a great difference.
    And there is not much difference in cost between wrapping to fluting.

who carries a 24mm SS barrel?

who carries it more than once?

why does it matter if it's on a range?

Who flutes barrels.. ? I chop and suppress......look how much money I am saving...

All power to the man, but thats a $5000 tikka without a suppressor. I can do a Deviant/Bartlein/Manners with a Bix n Andy trigger for about that.... or a least the bits..

If I actually had $5000.....

For 5k id buy an 86 Carbon light

Tikka second hand $800
    Carbon stug stock $595
    Hardy Carbon barrel $1550
    Total $2945

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Blaser likes this.

Hey Gadjetman, yeah fair call mate, I see where your coming from.
    I know they are very plain Janes but I ve had 3 now and they have all shot very well so have grown to like the rifle.....just doesn't win any looks or personality contests.
    However they shoot generally a lot better than the price would indicate. Accuracy is never boring even if the rifle is.
    gadgetman and R93 like this.

res
    Quote Originally Posted by 25/08IMP View Post
    Tikka second hand $800
    Carbon stug stock $595
    Total $2945

I know of someone who has just had a carbon hardy barrel fitted for a lot less that $1550, if there price was repeatable your idea gets very affordable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Carbon Fibre Tikka T3 Rifles

When last did you see a second hand Tikka for $800?

Even so, you are now in new Finnlight territory, guess which one I would have?
    veitnamcam, Danny and Steve123 like this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    Hey Gadjetman, yeah fair call mate, I see where your coming from.
    I know they are very plain Janes but I ve had 3 now and they have all shot very well so have grown to like the rifle.....just doesn't win any looks or personality contests.
    However they shoot generally a lot better than the price would indicate. Accuracy is never boring even if the rifle is.
    Yeah, I went for a Savage or two. Ugly apparently, no one has told me what is ugly, but they too shoot small groups. I went for a Savage because I could top load, it was nigh on impossible to remove the bolt with only two hands (I'm a klutz), fitted me well enough and after a trip to the range with 6 guys sighting in a new T3 the weekend before I thought I'd get something different. If everyone was the same and liked the same things we'd have a very boring world.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    When last did you see a second hand Tikka for $800?

Even so, you are now in new Finnlight territory, guess which one I would have?
    I picked up cheap T3 223rem with only 2 boxes of ammo down the tube for $700 for my 300 Blackout build. There is the odd bargain on Trade-Me and Facebook if ones prepared wait. They are only worth what someone wants to pay, its only a hunk of plastic and stainless steel.
    gadgetman and 25/08IMP like this.

Fair enough, few and far between though as everyone seems to think they are worth more than a new one!

Still just seems odd to me to spend 2k upgrading an 800 dollar rifle.

If someone told me they spent $100k upgrading their $50k corolla I would think they were mad! Just buy a new RS4 and bank the rest!

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam and gadgetman like this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Quote Originally Posted by 25/08IMP View Post
    Tikka second hand $800
    Carbon stug stock $595
    Total $2945

Would rather have 4 Howas and change....
    gadgetman and Spudattack like this.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    Fair enough, few and far between though as everyone seems to think they are worth more than a new one!

Still just seems odd to me to spend 2k upgrading an 800 dollar rifle.

If someone told me they spent $100k upgrading their $50k corolla I would think they were mad! Just buy a new RS4 and bank the rest!

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk
    After five years, the Corolla would still be worth something.
    Blaser likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Yes I agree it is a very common platform, people throw money at all sorts of things cars a re a good example of that - beauty is in the eye of the beholder, just look at that ghastly HOWA a few post's up

I am never sure what is meant by "it is still a T3", what is it that a T3 specifically lacks that the "better" options have?

I thought he key to killing an animal was a fit for purpose projectile at the right velocity in the right place, if all three of those are achieved then it doesn't matter the make of the firearm?

I may be too simple in my view, I'm no fan boy, I have shot the same rifle for the last 14 years and only had a couple of others before that. Not because I wouldn't like a carbon SAKO 260 but because when I'm smashing through kanuka in the rain having been outwitted by a Sika stag I realise that even if I had carried another rifle the outcome would still be the same.

Anyway that's my last comment as the OP was not looking to debate the merits of different brands in this thread.

Hot barrels
    Love this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt