Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree134Likes

Thread: Carbon Fibre Tikka T3 Rifles

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    Fair enough, few and far between though as everyone seems to think they are worth more than a new one!

Still just seems odd to me to spend 2k upgrading an 800 dollar rifle.

If someone told me they spent $100k upgrading their $50k corolla I would think they were mad! Just buy a new RS4 and bank the rest!

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk
    I keep all my original stocks. If I were (and I wont be) to sell them then my rifles would be going into their original SPS (shitty plastic stocks) and be sold for what they are worth minus their flash harry bits which will be bolted onto their replacements.
    I reckon a s/h hand they would be worth 800 - 900 each
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post

Hardy Carbon barrels are nice & light
    I'm not sure Dan's ones are when he does them 25mm thick, 25/08IMP Blaser one was only about 30gm lighter than the original barrel, Dan told me they'd be 300-400gm lighter, so he's off the mark a bit, I'd have been pretty pissed to find out it wasn't anywhere near that. Probably better off fluting a normal one.
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    I'm not sure Dan's ones are when he does them 25mm thick, 25/08IMP Blaser one was only about 30gm lighter than the original barrel, Dan told me they'd be 300-400gm lighter, so he's off the mark a bit, I'd have been pretty pissed to find out it wasn't anywhere near that. Probably better off fluting a normal one.
    Yes you are correct mine were very little lighter than my factory Blaser barrel but when compared to the 25mm Dia SS barrel they are.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I took my .223 1:12 T3 out for a play yesterday, it's bog standard, costed a grand brand new, chucked a Bushnell legend 4.5-14 and a Hardy gen 5 on it and freaked myself out with it's grouping yesterday. It spat 62 gn PMC all over the place but was outstanding on 55 gn Hornady sp and 62 gn Am Eagle. Can't see the point in dropping thousands on it when it works perfectly.
    Can't understand why people pimp out 10/22's either, can't really figure out what to with the one I have. Only good for plinking to be honest.
    Dougie likes this.

Each to their own folks!

Those 12 twist don't like the heavier rounds in my experience, but the sweet spot is the 55 gr. Both the hornady soft point and OSA game king have been excellent in mine.

Back to the op though, there is obviously a market for it and even though you can buy a "high end" rifle for the same amount, some people dont have all the cash at once so upgrades are feasible I guess.

Whilst we are debating here.... what does high end count as? I mean, if it functions flawlessly and is accurate, what else matters? Clearly the weight issue can be fixed so what are we paying extra for?
    gadgetman, Dougie and Steve123 like this.

I'm also of the "each to their own" opinion.

...And why is "because I want to/I like it" not a good enough excuse to buy something? If somebody wants to spend $$ to upgrade to whatever they want, that's cool. It's just the excuse of lightening (or whatever excuse) that annoys me. Why can't you do something to your rifle just because you like it?

To put this in context I mean someone saying they have a fluted bolt to save weight, yet carries an entire box of .338 ammo in their pack. You didn't do it for weight reduction, you did it 'cos you wanted to. And why is a bad thing to admit that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Plus, I think many consumers enjoy the building and improving of their rifle. Not everyone into gun sports is on this forum, so maybe they do think their tikka upgrade is special. It's special to them, I guess that's all that matters! I think Hardy have tapped into that.

kiwiazonic likes this.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

I'm special.

I wanted it light weight....

I should have stopped drinking beer and eating everything that passes my face... but I can't so I can save f all on the bolt and barrel instead.... justification rules!!

Carried a heavy rifle for 3 days in this hills of Otago as didn't once think "this needs to be 500grm lighter"... I was more concerned with how fat my ass was, and how much I wanted to sit down.

Some people will always spend heaps more on something than they need to, Then go on about it. Obviously Dan Hardy has tapped into the fact that some ppl like to spend money for no reason so good on him, it just surprises me because I though blowing shitloads of cash was an AR thing.
    The problem I have is after ammo bills there's nothing left out of the shooting budget at the moment, hell I've only bought one rifle this year and that was more for spares/future proofing an old 30 06 I like to shoot. I may have to start a give-a-little page soon for a 300 winmag build.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    I'm also of the "each to their own" opinion.

...And why is "because I want to/I like it" not a good enough excuse to buy something? If somebody wants to spend $$ to upgrade to whatever they want, that's cool. It's just the excuse of lightening (or whatever excuse) that annoys me. Why can't you do something to your rifle just because you like it?

To put this in context I mean someone saying they have a fluted bolt to save weight, yet carries an entire box of .338 ammo in their pack. You didn't do it for weight reduction, you did it 'cos you wanted to. And why is a bad thing to admit that?

Perfect @Dougie except you forgot the "Amen" at the end.

Because I want to and Because I can are 2 of the best reasons ever
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimySquirrel View Post
    I'm special.

I should have stopped drinking beer and eating everything that passes my face... but I can't so I can save f all on the bolt and barrel instead.... justification rules!!

Carried a heavy rifle for 3 days in this hills of Otago as didn't once think "this needs to be 500grm lighter"... I was more concerned with how fat my ass was, and how much I wanted to sit down.
    So save a couple of grand on rifle mods and get a quad. At least you can bring a hearty lunch in a chilli bin with ya......

Sent from the swamp
    gadgetman and SlimySquirrel like this.

Had a quad. It didn't help... tussock was too tall. Now, if I was just rich enough to own a chopper and be able to fly that bastard in... park up and walk.. wait... shoot from the sky then tow it out... hang on, I think I'm missing the point here. ... and beginning to sound like DOC too.

Quote Originally Posted by chrome View Post
    So save a couple of grand on rifle mods and get a quad. At least you can bring a hearty lunch in a chilli bin with ya......

Sent from the swamp
    Now that is just rude. Like your thinking.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by SlimySquirrel View Post
    I'm special.

Well I went from carrying a 22lr to carrying a 22lr and 223rem when out rabbit hunting. I found I was slightly faster up hill carrying the second rifle. With only one rifle it was one step up, half a step slide back. With two rifles there was enough now just enough purchase with the cleats on my boots to avoid that half step slide back. Bugger lightening a rifle for me, what can I add?
    Friwi likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!