Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Cartridge and Rifle Camberings Availability.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    but I HAVE IT...and can still buy it..... there is still some ammunition on the shelves...... I guess it comes back to having lived through harder times.
    our grandparents shot pigs with a .12ga and #4 shot as thats all that was around....as a teenager I would get mum to buy (remember those easy times?)a single box of rounds...and when I was down to last 3-4 get another.... using a single barrel break open shotgun for a lot of those formative years taught me to get in close and make the shot count. I recall a driven shoot up in mackenzie basin 50-60 shooters with all sorts of shotguns,including 3 professional rabbiters..at the end of the day a tally up was had....I came out on top and my buddy a close 2nd and we were both using single barrel guns,our round usage was less too...the professional guys werent overly happy about being shown up by a couple of rookies (previous 3 months I had been shooting rabbits full time) it comes down to this,and ONLY THIS.
    There is more than enough ammunition and components for zeroing rifle and hunting....... if you want to shoot a couple of hundred rounds into paper,maybe you might need to take up casting projectiles and look at lighter charges of powder to eak out what you can get...or not.
    its like anything,supply and demand,reduce the supply and you up the demand...reduce the demand and supply keeps up if not slows down as no market for it.
    Name:  IMG_0063.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  362.6 KB
    I do not know what parallel universe you grew up in but in my youth we used semi-auto shotguns and bought CAC ammo by the case,22 and 22mag by the brick.I never saw a single barrel shotgun in a duck blind and we had a bach at Lake Ellesmere for 50 years. Pig shooters would use 303's 308's and 44/40's and if a 12 gauge slugs or buckshot. 303 ammo was every where and had little value and traded or given away to younger shooters.
    caberslash likes this.

OK, am in Englandshire at the mo ( ) and managed to make a detour to a quiet little gunshop. Found these:

Name:  20220813_131515.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  2.65 MB

They were below RRP as well (still not cheap at £50 per tub...) but the wholesaler themselves are showing this price for all Reloder grade Name:  Screenshot_20220813-200144_Chrome.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  46.1 KB

Simillar feeling to when I managed to located 300 145 .277 ELDX in another small Englandshire shop. Places with no website (or a really crap one!) might have stuff that others have overlooked.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Howa1500 View Post
    so theres no shortage for me as a pistol shooter ideally shooting 2-300 rounds a week? or a long range dude training before a big comp? i shoot multiple times a week, but id only hunt half a dozen times a year
    yes I do understand that side of it......my bad.am talking from a hunting point of view so guess I SHALL JUST SHUT UP..... and the range shooting folks should stay out of any discussion to do with taking of game or filling freezer too???

pistol rounds...hmm lets see,3-4-5 grns of ???blue dot and cast projectiles still around in droves,so its really only primers that will knee cap you. good luck,be frugal and hope for the best.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    I'll share similar sentiment to the above comment.

When primers go from $80 per 1k to $300 per 1k in the space of 9 months. When there are very few shipments on the horizon, when it's $20 difference with current pricing between reloading and factory 9mm per 1k rounds.

When you have people absolutely pillaging any new shipment and then $1 reserving the items on tardme, when there are certain projectiles you haven't been able to get for 2 years minimum as their not getting here.

You know there is a serious supply issue with various compounding factors.

The point is it's largely irrelevant how you use you're ammo but the clear cut reality is prices have increased substantially and it's harder if not impossible to get certain things.
    we agree on some points...people pillaging yip DEFINATELY an issue.... good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Tedz50 View Post
    Attachment 203755
    I do not know what parallel universe you grew up in but in my youth we used semi-auto shotguns and bought CAC ammo by the case,22 and 22mag by the brick.I never saw a single barrel shotgun in a duck blind and we had a bach at Lake Ellesmere for 50 years. Pig shooters would use 303's 308's and 44/40's and if a 12 gauge slugs or buckshot. 303 ammo was every where and had little value and traded or given away to younger shooters.
    parralel universe of kingcountry in the 80s before/during and after sharemarket crash..so interest rates up to 30% on one mortguage....mortguagee sales all around including our own farm,so yes money was tighter than a fishes arse.
    Tokoroa pines were shotgun only so brought up with single barrel shotgun being "the norm" ....it was my possum skin money that bought my ammunition and anything else a teen needed...no silver spoon in my mouth,wooden spoon around my arse forsure.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    yes I do understand that side of it......my bad.am talking from a hunting point of view so guess I SHALL JUST SHUT UP..... and the range shooting folks should stay out of any discussion to do with taking of game or filling freezer too???

pistol rounds...hmm lets see,3-4-5 grns of ???blue dot and cast projectiles still around in droves,so its really only primers that will knee cap you. good luck,be frugal and hope for the best.
    No, no, and no. There will be no shutting up!!! I love a good lively discussion As long as there is no personal attacks/abuse, a robust debate always brings insight. Continue to have at it.
    Micky Duck and Got-ya like this.
    “Age is a very high price to pay for maturity”

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    I shot a packet of cheap power point 30 06 Winchester 150gr ammo off yesterday.
    Went to the local today to replace it
    $44.99 on the old box
    $64.99 on the new one
    Fark.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Tedz50 View Post
    Attachment 203755
    Like that model 57 Marlin. Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Got-ya View Post
    Like that model 57 Marlin. Nice.
    Just to drag the conversation in another direction I loved that 57M and jollied it up with araldite and glitter deer and a saddle ring but wore the micro-groove barrel out so it moved on. I would love to get it back as it was a natural pointer and slick as.
    Name:  IMG_0035.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  551.7 KB
    Micky Duck and Got-ya like this.