Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Cerakote

I've had no problems with Greystone (Stuart Geal), Micro Slicked a couple of bolts and Cerakoted a action and barrel very good work, a lot more durable than other coatings. Had no problem contacting him a couple of months ago, would highly recommend him exmilartry Armour I believe.

Greystone quoted me about $450 to do a rem 700. Needs a full week.

R93
    Yeah Stu is an ex Army gun plumber and Quail pozzie poacher
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Yes mine is getting done by Hardy Rifle in Cerakote. Black is the colour. They send it out to someone to be done.

Hi guys new guy from across the ditch, just had my lever cerakoted thought I'd post a pick to give you an idea

scottrods and R93 like this.

R93
    Righto. I have spent a wee while researching this. I can set up and do it myself for the cost of getting one rifle done elsewhere. The only issue I have atm is a cure oven, big enough to fit barreled actions and hold a steady 250 degree temp for few hours. Small parts are no issue as you can use the one in the kitchen.
    An oven is also essential in the degreasing process. It cooks any oil out of the metal.
    You can air dry cerakote but it takes a week. Scopes obviously will need to be air dried.
    Anyone who wants a scope done, I will do it for free and see how it handles a 250 degrees for a few hrs. Gimp what about your alcan?
    Depending on how far a jar of Cerakote goes I will get an idea on whether is is cost effective.
    I will be doing some of my blaser barrels and saddle mounts and will I post the results. Cerakote has plenty of uses, not just firearms. It could be handy to be set up.
    Watch this space.

Watching

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I think I like my Elcan black

R93
    Thats a shame. If you change your mind I would like to work out if you can see thru it as well

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Righto. I have spent a wee while researching this. I can set up and do it myself for the cost of getting one rifle done elsewhere. The only issue I have atm is a cure oven, big enough to fit barreled actions and hold a steady 250 degree temp for few hours. Small parts are no issue as you can use the one in the kitchen.
    An oven is also essential in the degreasing process. It cooks any oil out of the metal.
    You can air dry cerakote but it takes a week. Scopes obviously will need to be air dried.
    Anyone who wants a scope done, I will do it for free and see how it handles a 250 degrees for a few hrs. Gimp what about your alcan?
    Depending on how far a jar of Cerakote goes I will get an idea on whether is is cost effective.
    I will be doing some of my blaser barrels and saddle mounts and will I post the results. Cerakote has plenty of uses, not just firearms. It could be handy to be set up.
    Watch this space.
    Find a motor re-winder. We have had to bake some epoxy stuff and for a couple of cans we get to use the local motor re-winders oven.

What people charge for cerakote here is insane

R93
    I was going to see what a couple reinecks could get me around town. I have a mate that is a baker so that may be an option.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    What people charge for cerakote here is insane
    Shit yes. Thats why I am going to try/do it my self. I am sure Norway had a play doing his own gear? It looked like he did a good job iirc.
    distant stalker likes this.

I maybe wrong , but if they are done right , then its a lot of work to strip the rifle down and mask or paint areas needed , ITs much easier to leave everything assembled & paint everything , even stuff that maybe better not painted .
    So if its done right , you are maybe paying to have the rifle stripped , cleaned or blasted to bare metal , and then painted & baked , NOT trying to justify the high price , just thinking out loud .
    I had a action cerokoted , and due to the close/tight action tolerances , told them to NOT paint the bolt body , guess what , they painted EVERYTHING , bolt was super hard to move to the point of almost impossible , even when soaked in OIL , I had to cut the paint OFF with oil and wet& dry paper , to the bare metal to free up the action .

Also remember that the paint needs time to cure/harden .

Later Chris

Ejected
    What about the air dry stuff? No good? Where are you sourcing it from, be pretty keen to give it a go myself