Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Cheap .303s... how bad are they?

a Parker Hale .303 sporter at about $350 in good shape on TM would be my choice . . . the couple i have shot with good ammo ( not a mixture cheap military ball ammo of 1940s vintage ) have been surprisingly accurate, around 1.5-2MOA.
    there really is no practical reason why you should ever have to trade up if you get a good one . . fight the urge and put the money into a good scope

get a barrel with loose spots and a damaged crown and it gets ugly . . . but strangely ( to me ) even horrendously pitted barrels, i mean they look totally fckd, have shot very well.

ok look at it this way..... bush hunting is usually tight with most shots under 100 yards with the norm being under 50.
    deers vitals 6-8" so you really want a 3-4" group or better which isn't a huge ask.
    my 7.62x39mm does 2-3" all day long and is a great bush rifle and the deer go down,a .303 brit has a lot more punch/power/velocity/bullet weight
    always good to have a rifle in cabinet that you can use n abuse and there isn't one much better than the S.M.L.E. for that,they will work in conditions that more modern action wont.
    some rifles will prefer the 150 grn and others the 180grn others you can get away with using the 123grn .310 pills made for the x39mm and reduce recoil way down, but be aware that most SMLEs being a rear locking action (p14 isn't and is a mauser) usually print different weight projectiles to different points of impact, sometimes a considerable distance away from another.
    the day will come when you spot deer at 200-300 yards and know you have to try to stalk closer,thats when the newer/more accurate rifle is needed.
    stumpy and timattalon like this.

My old 1944 303. I've had it since I was about 19 (34-years). Originally I used it as a pig gun with open sights. I had a gunsmith shorten it to the shortest legal length for the pigs. Eventually I put a 2.5 Weaver on it and used it as my general hunting rifle. With the short barrel and 2.5 scope it shoots 2" groups at 100 yards, which i reckon is pretty damn good considering! I still enjoy taking a 72-year old rifle out for a walk! And of course the boot laces on the sling make it shoot better..... ;-) Name:  4_copy_01.JPG
Views: 612
Size:  195.4 KB

Half the useability of a weapon is the sight. At least get one with aperture sight ie no.4.

Safety is much better with a scope. Even 3x would reduce your chances of shooting someone.

Installing a scope will be expensive. Check the base block and avoid parker hale alloy rings as these will be half stripped out and 19mm fit rings are difficult to replace (Needs CZ 550 series fit) . Only accept a fairly new scope or older quality brand as you dont want to replace a scope on a $250 budget.

Ask around you might find someone happy to move a solid well set up weapon on to a good home. Eg family or mates heirloom thats worth more than money so they wont sell it to a dealer or a random on trade me.

Buy gun. Test accuracy. If over 4 inch at 100yd trade and try another. You will find a good one.

The design is excellent. Several worthwhile features have been lost in "modern" rifles.

Yea nah, unless you want it for nostalgia just buy the cheapest Savage, Mossberg or Remington you can find. I've seen them in 7mm08 or 308 for around the $500 mark with a scope, a much better setup for the money
    chindit likes this.

Guncity wellingron has one for $250 with a sythentic stock and a scope mount. I sold it to them and it shot a 4" group at 100m. It has been chopped right down tho and kicks like a bitch, which is why i got rid of it

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk

New barrels can be found for around 100bucks.

Mine shoots better than I can with the open sites.

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    mudgripz and Micky Duck like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

https://youtu.be/ZrW3T73hdNM

gadgetman and sambnz like this.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    New barrels can be found for around 100bucks.

Mine shoots better than I can with the open sites.

can you post a link to where from please?

I got one off of a member on here.
    Old but new in grease.

I was looking the lea Enfield way and saw some real crap. Finished up buying a Mossberg/ scoped 7mm08 2nd hand for $465. Light, shoots good ticks all the boxes. Some think they are shit I don't. Take a look at your gun shop to see what they are like. Compare the budget rifles with other guns available in that budget. Just keep looking and something will turn up old/newer. Keep a open mind, nothing wrong with the budget rifles
    Timmay and Skatieguy like this.

bumblefoot have you considered putting a suppressor on the old girl??????? man she would be a real pussy to use if you did.

Ill take one of those $100 barrels as well!! Another interesting option is an Enfield converted to 7.62x39, although if you had to pay someone to do it a Norinco 7.62x39 bolt action is probably cheaper, or an sks

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    bumblefoot have you considered putting a suppressor on the old girl??????? man she would be a real pussy to use if you did.
    I'd hate to ruin the antique charm.... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan88 View Post
    Guncity wellingron has one for $250 with a sythentic stock and a scope mount. I sold it to them and it shot a 4" group at 100m. It has been chopped right down tho and kicks like a bitch, which is why i got rid of it

Yes, so to bring one like this up to useable standard:
    Pachmayr recoil pad $80
    CZ550 rings $120
    Redfield renegade 2-7x32 $260
    total cost $710
    So you would sure be better off with a new entry level scoped rifle package.
    Timmay and 223nut like this.