Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: cheap actions vs 'expensive'

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    Only bother with a custom action , IF it brings something special to the table , my customs are all , very meaty , and have special features not found in std factory actions , ie Surgeons SA/XL & Badger 2008s , just do your homework as to want you want in action , or what you want it to do .

Simple way to get around action stiffness ( ie lite sporter actions ) , just use a heavy barrel and use a barrel block , ie float the action , easy .

Later Chris
    +1,

I think far too many people don't really know what they want/need when they make a custom, so may end up putting together a bag full of ill-conceived and very expensive parts that don't necessarily add up to a great rifle at the end of it. I personally think you have to figure out the use and then work backwards, i.e. no point having a Surgeon Action with a 30'' straight profile barrel, a heavy chassis stock and a NF scope if you want a hunting rifle?

kj
    tui_man2 and kiwijames like this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar

cheap actions vs 'expensive'

I also believe there is too much emphasis on gear, with some believing they can compensate for time behind the butt via a Visa card. I can personally attest to that. Don't get me wrong, nice gear certainly helps but nothing is as good as putting lead down range.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

While I agree that you do not need an expensive rifle to be able to shoot well , I DO believe their is no cheap way to have optics that preform well at LR , you can get good 2nd hand quality glass , but thats as low as it go's for ME .

I did not start OFF shooting with Benders , wish I did , I like most have had to learn the hard way , ie buying less than ideal scopes ( with in what i could afford at the time ), HOPING they worked , virtually all did not , I had , turret housing come loose , detached reticles , knobs that did not adjust corretcly . parallex fail , and scopes that did not zero long .

So to me , yeap you can get a Rem700 for a 1k , drop a new barrel on her for another k , and a glass stock for another K , thats 3k bare rifle , BUT using a 1k scope , thats going to be the BIG compromise , the best I could do for 1k , would be a 2nd hand MK4 and to thats about the minimum , unless you like wasting time and money .

I like the heavy barreled bolt actions , and put Off buying the rifle , I really wanted for 10yrs ( AI AW ) , Opps , going thru a variety of lesser rifles ( some of them rather expensive lesser rifle s ) , just like I did with the scopes , to me that was 10 wasted yrs , should have bitten the bullet and brought one 10 yrs ago , I have used a lot of different rifles over the yrs , But I am sorry to say nothing really compares to the AI rifles , not even close .

And when I talk about an AI , its the whole thing , and not one single thing like accuracy .

The AIs are basically , a very rugged target rifle , that is also accurate and a mag feed repeater , and thats the hard thing to do .

I however , drive a car that most would not be seen dead in , no 50k cars for me , not even a 1/10 of that ( more like a 1/20 , opps ) , and thats the only way I have been able to afford an AI , that and noodles .

ANd not all shooters with high end gear are bad shooters , Nik who shoot that great small group at 1000yds recently , has some pretty high end rifles and scopes , Opps , he also has a AI AWSM 338LM as well as his tgt rifles etc .

What should be the emphasis is on solid reliable gear .

Later Chris

@the kid Who can true a howa action in NZ?