Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: A Chinese Job

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Waimata View Post
    @Tahr How often do use the 24X magnification? Everyone has their own shooting style, but my .223 has a 1-8X scope and I'm yet to use the 8X for actually shooting anything (other than zeroing), and most of the time it is set on 1X (bush pest control). I'm curious how often 24X is used in the effective range of a .223. Obviously if you were shooting rats at 200m I would understand.
    Quite often. I have this scope and a Delta that go up to 24x on .223's.

On Wallaby maybe on 24x 20% of the time - for longer range sniping shots (250-350 yds). Mostly though I use 10 -18 range on Wallaby. Wind it right back if they are close or running.

On deer with a steady rest in the open at say over 250 to 350. Maybe 1 in 10 deer on 24x. I like precision shots on deer with the .223. Not necessarily head or neck, but I want it to go exactly in the right spot.

24x is great too for clarifying what I'm looking at and assessing things like age and antlers.

My eyes though have a combined age of 146 and my shooting eye has a a cataract - Ive found the higher mag handy as I've got older. Eyes fading and doing more spot and shoot at range. 15 years ago I didn't have a scope over 12x.
    tetawa and Ben Waimata like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Quite often. I have this scope and a Delta that go up to 24x on .223's.

On Wallaby maybe on 24x 20% of the time - for longer range sniping shots (250-350 yds). Mostly though I use 10 -18 range on Wallaby. Wind it right back if they are close or running.

On deer with standing shots in the open at say over 275 to 350. Maybe 1 in 10 deer on 24x. I like precision shots on deer with the .223. Not necessarily head or neck, but I want it to go exactly in the right spot.

24x is great too for clarifying what I'm looking at and assessing things like age and antlers.

My eyes though have a combined age of 146 and my shooting eye has a a cataract - Ive found the higher mag handy as I've got older. Eyes fading and doing more spot and shoot at range. 15 years ago I didn't have a scope over 12x.
    Thanks for the answer. I don't shoot at deer over 200m so I guess that alone makes a huge difference in explaining the 24X, I was not thinking about wallabies at 350. What would be your maximum ethical range on a wallaby with .223?

I'll be your age in 20 years, it'll be interesting to see what magnification I'm using by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Waimata View Post
    Thanks for the answer. I don't shoot at deer over 200m so I guess that alone makes a huge difference in explaining the 24X, I was not thinking about wallabies at 350. What would be your maximum ethical range on a wallaby with .223?

I'll be your age in 20 years, it'll be interesting to see what magnification I'm using by then.
    Not sure about ethical killing range but the .223 kills them (Wallaby) just fine at 425 yards. What would make it unethical for me would be shooting at that sort of range without good gear, a good rest and little wind.

Ive shot deer with the .223 out to 375 yards often enough but with 69-77 grn hand loads (mostly) stoked along and under good conditions.

Don't wish this age on yourself. Make the most of your "now".
    Mooseman, bumblefoot, Huk and 2 others like this.