Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Chinese outboards!

Chinese outboards!

Yes, don't waste my money etc. Has anyone owned one? Looking for something 3-4hp, cheap, usable, cheap, light, and also cheap, to use on a 2.3m inflatable for a while, there are some chinese jobs in about my current price range (cheap).

There's probably some American motors in your price range, just not new? Aux's get stuff all use?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    There's probably some American motors in your price range, just not new? Aux's get stuff all use?
    yeah I think I should probably just wait for something decent used to come up rather than rush into questionable chinese motors, just sort of checking to see if the questionable chinese motors are actually a secret bargain that works well
    Maca49 likes this.

I have one of these and its been a brilliant little motor, used it as an auxillary on 16ft boat for a while and have used it quite a few times on a 10ft tinny to cruise across Loch Katrine and Lake Sumner for hunting trips and a bit of fishing. Its never let me down so far. Only annoying thing about it is its direct drive so start and go!
    Name:  images (7).jpeg
Views: 656
Size:  14.6 KB
    dannyb likes this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

I have owned a 9.9hp Sail branded one.Had it in a 3.4m inflateable. Was reasonably reliable only issues I had were little things like broken plastic linkages for the choke etc. But as it was a copy of a yamaha a trip to the local dealer and replacement Yamaha parts fitted.
    Owned for a couple of years and used in salt and fresh water.
    Dont know if I would trust it well enough in open water bit it never let me down.

Sent from my SM-A510Y using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck likes this.

2nd hand mercury would be my pick...but its catch 22 cheap n new could be better than older and stuffed...buy from a dealer and you have SOME comeback if it turns to crap.

The Chinese can land stuff on the dark side of the moon, and the Yanks haven't done that yet. Their stuff is on the improve. Their side by sides and quads are ok (personal experience). They make a lot of good optics now. I would buy one of their outboards if price was the main factor.
    Beaker and systolic like this.

I have a Parson 3.6hp
    My neighbor has the 5.8 and also a 3.6 - same as mine
    Great little motors and apparently any parts needed are Yamaha parts
    outlander likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    The Chinese can land stuff on the dark side of the moon, and the Yanks haven't done that yet. Their stuff is on the improve. Their side by sides and quads are ok (personal experience). They make a lot of good optics now. I would buy one of their outboards if price was the main factor.
    You reckon they (Yanks) been on the sunny side ????
    That should fire up a debate or two
    A330driver likes this.

I have a Chinese Brigs and Stratton copy on my tow mower. V twin 26hp. Its twice the motor the Brigs was (replaced because it cracked the block). Starts easier, runs smother, has more power burns no oil and less fuel and cost a lot less than genuine Briggs replacement. Its been cutting grass, gorse and scrub for a couple of years now. Im a believer.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    what about a 5hp four stroke Yamaha second hand $800 ?
    Bit bigger than I'm after sorry

Well I picked up a "3hp" air-cooled chinese 2-stroke outboard for $240. Will see how it goes pushing a 2.3m inflatable around. Weed whacker motor type operation.
    Tahr, Micky Duck and berg243 like this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Will it outrun a large white shark set on putting her teeth into your inflatable, that's the only question really.
    Wildman, erniec and 7mm Rem Mag like this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    Will it outrun a large white shark set on putting her teeth into your inflatable, that's the only question really.
    He had a 9mm for such times though....

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

AWS
    I have one of the little weed wacker Chinese motors on my duck skiff. I've had it about 3yrs and it has been pretty reliable, it did get a crack in the fuel line but about a dollars worth of fuel line at the hardware store get it back in shape. I run it quite a bit as our season is 107 days and I'm retired.

Name:  o4hpTN.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  148.3 KB

I had a 3hp Evenrude/Johnson water cooled two cylinder on it but it was too much motor. The 3hp works very well on my square stern canoe for freighting large numbers of decoys through a little bit of water.

My old hunting partner has a little 2hp Honda on his 14 foot skiff that moves it along very nicely, leaves my rig in the dust so to speak.
    gadgetman and rugerman like this.