Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Choose me a coyote rifle

Have you looked at the Rock River .243 or 7/08 AR10's? Could be just the combo. Semi auto, good ballistics and hitting power.

AR15 with Raptor Gen3 Pinnical Night Scope would do the job nicely!!
    kokako likes this.

Hi,
    I have shot my 4 coyotes with a 223rem. My guide had a243 as well.a properly bedded and tuned up sps Remington will do the job. No need for an anvil to carry arround . Scope: 3x9x40 or 4.5x14x40 leupold. Sighted in at 150/200 depending on your terrain.

The coyotes are usually called in from great distances and shot below the 250m mark.
    A rangefinder is useful to make a mental note of the different distantes around your ambush spot before you start calling. Because once the dog is in motion you don't have time to play around with arangefinder or bullet drop compensator on the scope.
    You shoot from crossed sticks in he sitting position as this allow you to scope more area quickly with minimal movement.

Friwi

Id assume its not to be overly expensive as its a truck gun. Its a pity the americans are panicing so badly over ammo. Another cheap to shoot gun would be a cz in 7.62x39mm, wouldnt attract attention like an ar15....I think its like 10~15cents or something in the US? or was. If I was hunting here I think that would be my choice.

CZ-USA -> CZ 527 Carbine

Or I think savage do a 10 scout in 7.62x39mm?

Savage 10 FCM Scout in 7.62x39: review

Then there is the ruger mini 30

The Mini Thirty uses the 7.62×39mm and the Mini-6.8 fires 6.8 mm Remington SPC, or there is a "target" one in 223....dunno if "target" is really apt for a semi-auto...

Me, Id go cz and Id save my $s that way for something "better" later on for long range in say 7mm08 or something.......just cause I like shooting a long way....

"I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Lol an AR15 attracting attention in America? Depends what part of the country you are in I guess.

Not about attracting attention with the AR 15. But they are expensive and as a truck gun that will travel to and from work I would rather not have the semi auto in there. Just my personal preference. Hmmm I hadn't thought of the CZ, could do nicely and they are beautiful rifles.

Tasbay, a nit scope would be awesome! See so many of them in the headlights on the farm tracks

Browning Bar Shortrac .243. Best of all worlds

Do not touch a Ruger Hawkeye. As Steven suggested, CZ 527. great little rifles.
    Also a Sako A7 would do the job, or even a T3.

Quote Originally Posted by .22-250 everything View Post
    Not about attracting attention with the AR 15. But they are expensive and as a truck gun that will travel to and from work I would rather not have the semi auto in there. Just my personal preference. Hmmm I hadn't thought of the CZ, could do nicely and they are beautiful rifles.

Tasbay, a nit scope would be awesome! See so many of them in the headlights on the farm tracks
    Well you will be in the right country to pick something special up....... Don`t bring it home in your luggage though!!!

25 06 is really popular from pests to mule deer

Quote Originally Posted by ishoot10s View Post
    I'm going to be hooking up with Colorado and Pawnee Josh in about 2 days time. They've shot loads of dogs and I think with a .243 but I hope to know for sure before the end of next week!

Couple of great guys methinks, they're picking me up in Denver.

Ray.
    Can't wait to see you Ray, we'll see if we can't put a coyote in front of you while you're here.

My personal preference as a coyote caliber is the larger 6mm's... they pack considerably more clout than even the hottest of .22 centerfires. Coyotes are quite tough, and offer poor angle shots frequently (especially when called in)... an 87-105 grain bullet will traverse far more canine than a 55 NBT. Add in the ballistic advantages and to me the 6's clearly dominate the .22's on 20-50lb critters.

A guy my Dad shot with in Montana used a 220 Swift. You need to make good one shot kills on them - you cannot miss and educate them, ranchers hate that.
    Being over gunned is under rated.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Vapour2209

Post Pics Of Your Hunting/Predator/Varmit AR Here !! - PredatorMasters Forums

theres 30 odd pages of how to set up a ar15 if you wanted to go that way.

I am a bit biased toward the 243 tho, It just seems to do it all well, and flat which helps if you are shooting at night

Quote Originally Posted by mcche171 View Post
    Do not touch a Ruger Hawkeye.
    Why not? Mine (in 308) is solid, reliable, shoots 0.75 MOA, has a very nice trigger after a bit of tickling (as standard was crisp but heavy), and IMO has great ergonomics/feel and handling. The only thing I don't like about it is is that the action is a bit loud and 'click-clickey', not as smooth as some.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    Post Pics Of Your Hunting/Predator/Varmit AR Here !! - PredatorMasters Forums

theres 30 odd pages of how to set up a ar15 if you wanted to go that way.

I am a bit biased toward the 243 tho, It just seems to do it all well, and flat which helps if you are shooting at night
    37 pages of the most terrible ARs