Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: christensen rifles vs Hardy vs anything else semi custom

It was a 6.5 creedmoor , and i sold it to fund a 284 build . Now if they did one in 284win id be all over it .

The christensons are about the same money as a sako anyway aren't they? Even the tikkas with a couple bells and whistles and a factory paint job are over 2k
    Kudu likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wayno View Post
    It was a 6.5 creedmoor , and i sold it to fund a 284 build . Now if they did one in 284win id be all over it .
    To right...everytime I think of getting rid of my .284 to buy something else I look to see what the new fashionable calibre will do that the .284 doesn't...the usual answer is "Nothing".
    lau lau and chainsaw like this.

Buy what you like, that’s what matters more than make, in my case anything but a tikka.

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Buy what you like, that’s what matters more than make, in my case anything but a tikka.
    Yea, it is annoying when those factory boring old Tikkas out shoot great out of the box

Kimber’s are great if you are setting out to save weight on the build.
    Montanas come with factory carbon stocks so it’s mostly just a rebarrel to your desired cal if it’s not factory available.
    Tikkas are great but unless it’s a long action cal they annoy me that they are a one size fits all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    Kimber’s are great if you are setting out to save weight on the build.
    Montanas come with factory carbon stocks so it’s mostly just a rebarrel to your desired cal if it’s not factory available.
    Tikkas are great but unless it’s a long action cal they annoy me that they are a one size fits all.

Kimbers are awesome - but in my experience they do seem to "rust" pretty quickly and require more maintenance than other stainless actions/barrels that I have used (I wouldn't want to take one to Stewart Island)... YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli View Post
    Kimbers are awesome - but in my experience they do seem to "rust" pretty quickly and require more maintenance than other stainless actions/barrels that I have used (I wouldn't want to take one to Stewart Island)... YMMV
    I'm a big kimber fan if you wanting an ultralight . Can often buy a new hunter for 16-1700 that with 10 minutes of fiddling weighs less than the Montana. The stocks are a bloody good design (for me) and even the plastic stocks are stiff enough and you don't cry when you rest on rocks for shots etc.

My kimber 7mm08 only ever rusts quickly on the bolt handle but I have taken to it with a grinder to scallop it to clear extra low rings. The barrel will rust but I've done 8 days on the coats without issue. I usually just run a dry boresnake through at night to keep my mind at ease.

My worst rifle I ever had was a remington 700 that would flash rust overnight on a hunt. Only stainless rifle I've had that won't rust are the few Ruger M77 MKII with the paddle stocks. Old man put his back in the safe with blood on it for 6 months and it wiped clean when we pulled it back out. Hahahaha.
    mikee and Nickoli like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
    I'm a big kimber fan if you wanting an ultralight . Can often buy a new hunter for 16-1700 that with 10 minutes of fiddling weighs less than the Montana. The stocks are a bloody good design (for me) and even the plastic stocks are stiff enough and you don't cry when you rest on rocks for shots etc.

My kimber 7mm08 only ever rusts quickly on the bolt handle but I have taken to it with a grinder to scallop it to clear extra low rings. The barrel will rust but I've done 8 days on the coats without issue. I usually just run a dry boresnake through at night to keep my mind at ease.

My worst rifle I ever had was a remington 700 that would flash rust overnight on a hunt. Only stainless rifle I've had that won't rust are the few Ruger M77 MKII with the paddle stocks. Old man put his back in the safe with blood on it for 6 months and it wiped clean when we pulled it back out. Hahahaha.
    Probably depends upon the batch - I had a Montana that would develop spots of rust on the barrel and action after a wet weekend in the bush.
    Stocky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli View Post
    Probably depends upon the batch - I had a Montana that would develop spots of rust on the barrel and action after a wet weekend in the bush.
    Yeh I'd say so. I used to care but I found even with the remington it was fine as I'd just run a dry snake through at night and even before I did it looked shiny and mint. Tbh I've thought about just cerakoting it but it'd scratch it up like crazy anyway and a bit of steel wood solves most problems. It's the scope rings screws that annoy me most.

Quote Originally Posted by Stocky View Post

Yea that model Ruger was polished eh alot better for not grabbing blood dirt rust pretty stain proof really

Yeah I had a farmer room mate in uni with one of those ruger 77s that kept it wrapped in a blanket and didn’t know how to clean it and never had in the years he had owned it, I cleaned the bore for him and it was still as far as I could tell still perfect.

Stocky likes this.

Applies Lead Liberally rogers.270's Avatar
    Im super happy with my hybrid investment. Absolute tack driver and easy switch out of calibers. Accurate as hell and when i change the barrel i simply dial the difference between the two and im back in black!
    Addicted to gun powder

Thanks very much for all of your comments
    Appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    Yeah I had a farmer room mate in uni with one of those ruger 77s that kept it wrapped in a blanket and didn’t know how to clean it and never had in the years he had owned it, I cleaned the bore for him and it was still as far as I could tell still perfect.

Dad was given one. Amazes me how resilient they are as well as being very accurate from the few I have seen.