Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Class 1 DG house insurance

Class 1 DG house insurance

Could not find anything in the small print for tower insurance. Have you come across any disclaimers about void insurance if you have class 1 DG (powder) stored in your house?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I rang mine as I couldn't find anything either. They said no more than 15kg in the house. But I didnt ask about any out buildings as I didn't have any.

That lines up with the legislation. Where more than 15kg of 1. 3 requires a controlled zone.
    And more than 100kg requires a test certificate at a hazardous substance location.
    Burb122, Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Sweet, I’ve got like 11 more kilos to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bol Tackshin likes this.

I would make a call and have that confirmed!

Gone but not forgotten
    If you had enough primers for 15kg of powder, they would be worth more than your house!

Copied from Arms Code 2013 which NZ Police apparently still use on their website.
    “It is illegal to store any propellant powders in a house. It must be stored in a separate building, such as a locked garden shed. This needs to be cool and dry. Only the smallest quantities of propellant should be stored. Those wishing to load or reload ammunition for sale or supply to others should check any constraints or licensing provisions with ERMA (Environmental Risk Management Authority).”
    Micky Duck likes this.

Yeah, cannot store class 1 product in a dwelling house effectively. There's a catch all in most insurance agreements about not covering claims where unlawful activities have occurred so pays to double check that one and get it clarified...
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by woods223 View Post
    Copied from Arms Code 2013 which NZ Police apparently still use on their website.
    “It is illegal to store any propellant powders in a house. It must be stored in a separate building, such as a locked garden shed. This needs to be cool and dry. Only the smallest quantities of propellant should be stored. Those wishing to load or reload ammunition for sale or supply to others should check any constraints or licensing provisions with ERMA (Environmental Risk Management Authority).”
    And seeing most homes built now have attached garages and no space for outbuildings, that may need to be addressed...
    Maca49, Micky Duck and 20 Bore like this.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

You should be careful to avoid circumstances that may give an insurance company a reason to decline your claim.

Powder should not be stored in a dwelling.

A secure garden shed can store your powder for reloading.

I asked my local volunteer fire brigade chief if I should have a dangerous goods sign on my main storage building.
    He said no, not required for the quantity involved.

Fortunately for me I have several non-attached garages and other outbuildings for storage.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I was an insurance assessor on major claims for 18 years until about a year ago and never heard of a declinature for such or saw a clause in a policy if you were sensible.

Sure if you decided to do some reloading by candle light they might get difficult but otherwise really not an issue.

I have been involved with settling many claims where people just did dumb things but they still accepted them.
    Micky Duck and JohnDuxbury like this.

If its limited quantities its not an issue. Limited quantities in the DG world means less than 5kg.

Slight problem with that is LQDG rules don't apply to Class 1 materials. They are a special case under DG rules, similar to radioactive materials.
    striker likes this.

so.....are firearms inside a gunsafe,in a submerged house that has been red stickered still considered "secured".....
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    so.....are firearms inside a gunsafe,in a submerged house that has been red stickered still considered "secured".....
    Probably stupid question but are many of the fireproof safes also waterproof or hermetically sealed? Not talking about like a 5 gun spika safe but the big boy ones.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

I don't think they are as most have holes for bolts etc...