Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Classy 222's/223's

Just recently been through this ‘problem’ myself looking for a neat little go anywhere do anything bush rifle. A BSA hunter was on the cards (a mate had a spare) but ended up going with a Model 7 Remington .223. The 1-9 twist and stainless metalwork sold it for me.
    After a bedding job and Timney trigger it shoots little 3/4” groups with factory ammo, and weighs in at 6lb 10oz. Can carry it all day! The 75gr BTHP Hornady pills do a heap of damage too. It’s not ‘classy’ but beautifully functional, and obtainable!Name:  A06E32C2-2126-487F-9E7F-825BE077525A.jpeg
Views: 694
Size:  2.13 MB
    7mmsaum, NRT, Tentman and 2 others like this.

The thing with S&L^s is you have to keep reminding the owners what rubish they are. Aye Woody!

Ha ha ha @johnd. The lowly "other brands" just struggle to meet the sheer brilliance the worlds best ay
    johnd likes this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

AWS
    I'm a big fan of the 222 Rem, I've had a number of them over the years The only fly in the ointment is in combo guns, the rimless case wants to fall under the extractor. I find the 5.6x50R Mag a better round for combo guns.

Current 222 Rem's.

Winchester Model 70, great shooter but a tad heavy as it is built on the standard long action form the factory.

Name:  2lXPZo.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  75.3 KB

I restocked it in a synthetic stock for hunting.

Name:  X5aAGk.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  137.8 KB

My little Sako about a perfect rifle for calling Coyotes.

Name:  KSCNXZ.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  83.4 KB

The Sako at work.

Name:  BH8AGG.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  138.6 KB

My "Itty Bitty Critter Gitter" Self built custom Savage.

Name:  UuOj8X.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  67.5 KB

I haven't shot anything worth a picture with it but I did win this in a match with it. Custom AR in 20 Practical.

Name:  ISBoJk.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  157.0 KB

Past 222 Rem's

A Marrochi combo gun in 12ga/222 Rem, very accurate and would shoot sub MOA groups. I just hated the rimless case in it and replaced it with a Bernardelli 2000 in 5.6x50R Mag/12ga

Springfield 800, a renamed Savage 340, I had it in a Fajen stock, again very accurate

It seems hard to find a 222 Rem that doesn't shoot well.
    Last edited by AWS; 23-08-2019 at 02:16 AM.
    Barefoot, Mooseman and rewa like this.

Nice pics AWS, those 'Yotes must be a neat challenge to hunt. I hear you on the combo guns thing, I had a wonderfully accurate Valmet 412 in 222/12ga that 30 years ago I shot a lot of Wallaby's with.

Naracoorte South Australia/From South Canterbury
    Quote Originally Posted by garyp View Post
    Have got some BSA parts here.
    Have you got an extractor for a .222 hunter?
    mine is hanging up a bit when closing the bolt on a case it sometimes pops off the rim leaving the round stuck in the chamber. I've wondered if it would be possible to build the original back up and file to original shape but would not be easy due to extractor being spring steel

Got a Steyr Mannlicher .222 carbine fully wooded, shoots like a laser with a set trigger, dressed it up with a Kahles Helia CT 3-9 x 42 in Controle rings, Old Skool Kool.
    Steelisreal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Low box View Post
    Got a Steyr Mannlicher .222 carbine fully wooded, shoots like a laser with a set trigger, dressed it up with a Kahles Helia CT 3-9 x 42 in Controle rings, Old Skool Kool.
    Photos man... photos!!!
    Steelisreal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    It's always amazed me the amount of kiwis who pronounce "Anschutz" as "Anschultz". Must be a hangover from Shultz on "Hogan's Heroes".
    And you often see Bruno...

I wouldnt trade my Tikka M55 .222 for any modern offering, shoots half-inch out to 150 with an old K4 weaver and is smoother than any Sako I've owned. My current Sako AV, is very pretty, but feels like a lead-weight to carry, and I worry about scratching it !