Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: close range scope thoughts?

Greetings All,
    Isn't scope choice a can of worms. Do everything scopes generally do most things well but aren't excellent at any of them. One of my early scopes was a 2.5 x 32 Tasco from the days when they were made in Japan. Huge field of view and fat reticle but a little limited for longer range. Recently when desire had triumphed over actual need and reason yet another .308 found its way into my rifle cupboard it was fitted to the little Bergara single shot. A friend, horrified by my luddite tendencies lent me a Leupold 1.5 - 5 x 20 Vari X3. Both scopes would do the job in the bush but the latter would be much better in the open. A recent Leupold low range variable, or equal, should tick all the boxes for the bush and the odd 250 metre hare.
    Regards Grandpamac. Resident Luddite.

i'm awaiting on my leupold 1-4x20 firedot to arrive ( its a replacement as leupold couldnt repair my 1x prismatic)

i will let you know what its like when it arrives
    Micky Duck and Ben Waimata like this.

Thanks for that @Marty Henry, have been looking at them but a lot of the reticle options are for myself way to busy. That one looks like it is simple and effective

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    FOV is key.x is what you choose.Some 2x have better FOV than 1x.Find something that has 30ft fov or close at 50yds would be pretty good.
    @Trout If coming to Oxford John would be happy for you to have a look at his 1.5 - 9 Delta. Andrews 4-24x50 will be here - 10 mins from Oxford
    Trout and Micky Duck like this.

Red dots are pretty handy and fast to get on target.

Have tried a few "1- somethings" with 24mm objectives and not a fan. Maybe its my eyes, but in bush stalking when you need that low power for very close range you also frequently may be in low light & thus better off with a 36 - 42 mm objective. I've found the Kahles 2-7 x36 was very good and also older Burris "6x" 2-12x42 & great fov. Both come up 4 sale second hand occasionally. If you running a suppressor its odds on at 2x it will encroach on fov.

I see there was a Swarovski z8i 1-8 came up for grabs on here the other day. That was a good buy, I like the look of the March 1-10 but have no personal experience with the brand

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathanfish View Post
    I see there was a Swarovski z8i 1-8 came up for grabs on here the other day. That was a good buy, I like the look of the March 1-10 but have no personal experience with the brand
    March are excellent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    chainsaw likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    You are right about the Delta, just been testing / comparing them with a Swaro Z5 and Kahles 4-12 x56 and Leupolds. The Leupolds are great in good light - can see bullet holes on paper at 200mtrs but when it comes to actually hunting in poor light they are rubbish bin material against the Deltas. My friend John ordered a 1.5 - 9 x45 Delta yesterday for his 223 after testing them here on Saturday night. The optics are so clear and the 2D reticle so good that the x9 on the Delta is like x12 on a Leupold but with a much bigger FOV and light transmission. Plus no Leupold lens flare
    Thanks for your comparison and review @Moa Hunter
    I could/can say a lot about Delta against the other more "old fashioned" Brands but I must bite my tongue
    Last thing I want to do is down/slag another Brand
    madjon_ likes this.

Best contact Sarvo, he may still have one 'demonstrator' 1.5 - 9 left at a good price, but I am not sure.
    Thanks @Moa Hunter
    Yes - I have the above
    ALSO - a Free 4 Ring BT Turret add-on that is a free Promo - this is the last I think ??

Used a Bushnell 2.75X scope for years, massive field of view ( could see front 1/3 of barrel through it) and had magnetic pop-post with the cross hairs.
    Good in low light too.

Limited out in the open but great in the bush.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    Used a Bushnell 2.75X scope for years, massive field of view ( could see front 1/3 of barrel through it) and had magnetic pop-post with the cross hairs.
    Good in low light too.

Limited out in the open but great in the bush.
    bet you like that 3x9x40 on the wee x39mm......
    Finnwolf likes this.

@Trout If coming to Oxford John would be happy for you to have a look at his 1.5 - 9 Delta. Andrews 4-24x50 will be here - 10 mins from Oxford
    Hi Moa Hunter,just seen this,committed to another scope now 2x10x44 minox,pretty good field of view to.Not a bad price either.Thanks again.MH