Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: commercial reloaders in christchurch

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    stug fair call. I had the hornady interlocks in my head (maybe even the barnes coppers) but I will defer to the wise.
    Timattalon, do they have a chrony at the range? also looked up the membership and its getting up there. It would be a hard call if I had to pay that to start reloading.
    Did I get it wrong?
    Membership is around $200 per year, but that includes 24hr swipe access to the range as well as access to the loading equipment (presses, scales , and dies etc) If you want to shoot at the range a couple times a year it is probably too much, but if you want to shoot regularly it is worth it. They have public nights ($20 per Tuesday night for the rifle range for non members) and they so shotgun there as well. There is a great facility there and it is well worth looking into.

Otherwise if you only want to visit occasionally for the range, you can go as a guest of another member for $20 per visit.

($200 per year is $16.67 per month) So if you go once a month or more it is actually good value.

There is no Chrony there, but it depends on what accuracy you are chasing. I dont use one on mine. I generally find a load that is accurate, then go and find out in practise, where it goes at longer distances. Mine is a 215gr Round nose woodleigh projectile that with its trajectory I worked out it was around 2000 to 2200 fps. When I finally had a mate turn up with a chono I found it was 2096 +/- 40fps and it drops animals like a hammer.

I agree cost wise timattalon. 200 bucks isn't unreasonable at all really but out of reach at present. Plus I have to get my head around having to pay for a range-just something I've never had to do. it is a different animal with the reloading gear though.
    I've got either a little bill or a big bill coming up. Either a head gasket or worst case a cracked head. Wont know until I rip her off. At least I can do most of it myself.
    Big sigh

Just looked up the lee reloader-Still some around-just shy of 70 bucks. Only a little banging going on lol but they would work fine.
    @csmiffy

The banging, banging, banging, banging does get to you. I sometimes just use my bench vise instead of plastic hammer to do the case sizing and bullet seating with my Lee Loader. Less noise if you use it atop an upright 4x4 beam stood on a concrete floor, rather than atop a resonating table surface.

I know... someone clever out there might suggest earplugs... anyway it still is the cheaper way to get into reloading.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

That's a good idea cordite. Maybe jerry rig up a little press like a can crusher? probably wouldn't have the leverage as I don't know how much sqoosh it takes on those little dies. If its square enough to use a hammer on maybe it might work?
    At least a 303 has a bit of taper to help.

That's a good idea cordite. Maybe jerry rig up a little press like a can crusher? probably wouldn't have the leverage as I don't know how much sqoosh it takes on those little dies. If its square enough to use a hammer on maybe it might work?
    At least a 303 has a bit of taper to help.
    Ha - you mustn't have read the other thread on the receiver sight - I have a 303 Lee Loadall you can have for $not much. For some reason people feel tapping the cases into a die might be "bad" but its not and works perfectly fine. I loaded hundreds (probably thousands actually) of rounds like it before I got a press.
    Marty Henry likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Ha - you mustn't have read the other thread on the receiver sight - I have a 303 Lee Loadall you can have for $not much. For some reason people feel tapping the cases into a die might be "bad" but its not and works perfectly fine. I loaded hundreds (probably thousands actually) of rounds like it before I got a press.
    If @csmiffy does nt want it, then I could be interested. It could be something worth me looking into for my kit for when I am away....

well tentman-pm me how much you want for it and I'll see if I can afford it.

They really are a great bit of kit ive got a 45/70, 30/30 and 308 still use them despite having "proper" dies they are so quick for a few rounds.
    csmiffy likes this.