Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Comparing rangefinding binos.

Comparing rangefinding binos.

I'm finding myself with an urge to spend some money on rangefinding binos for use in elr and prs matches as well as hunting.
    Does anyone have direct experience comparing the Sig Kilo 3000 with the Vortex Fury 5000? Cheers
    eamars likes this.

dont rule out the Bushnell 1 Mile ARC's either

Only real comment I can make between the two is the warranty. Lifetime on the electronics on the Vortex, and not for the competition.
    After having electronics F' out on an otherwise perfect rangefinder, I decided it was a selling point.
    Never got a 5000M range on the Fury, but almost 4000M. Can get a solid range at shooting distances regardless of the conditions. Optically a lot better than the Steiner Bino's I had.
    Carbine and CooeeBay like this.

Throw into the mix Athlon Cronus uhd rangefinding binoculars. Sig seem to be hinting at a new range of binos too which if the designations in their name are correct would be far reaching - sig kilo 10k and sig kilo 6k

I have the Sigs and have found them great. I researched the same question before I bought them and most reviews came to the conclusion that there was no real quality difference between them, and it came down to which features you liked. Fury ranged a bit further, Sigs have Bluetooth to their balistic app. I have a funny feeling, and someone might correct me, that the Vortex Lifetime warranty didnt cover the electronics, and they had a separate time limited cover. I just went with what my local independent store had in stock in the end.
    However, if I were shopping now, I would buy the Delta ranging Binos from @Sarvo. Sounds like they are the business.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Yeah I was definitely wrong about the Vortex warranty, it covers everything.

I wasn't impressed with either after running geovids for a few years. I really wanted to like them as the Ballistocs portion of the Geovids is pretty shit to be honest even the newer Bluetooth version. Had heard the vortex where mint but it was pretty clear the glass wasn't even in the same class as the Liecas and was much more comparable to the Diamondback HDs. Can't expect them to be perfect for that price but having seen a few posts on here I'm glad I looked through a set. I don't like how the sigs feel and felt they had a blueish tint that I didn't like preferred the Vortex. Best I have looked through where actually a set of 8x52 zeiss rangefinding binos that where honesty good enough Id consider buying them. But will wait until there's a better ballistic function. The Vortex also can be had with applied ballistics installed.

Have a view of the Richard Utting review Video at bottom of page

https://www.nzgrhunts.com/optics/p/d...fp-9zlrh-4l6df

Thanks for all the feedback. Plenty of food for thought. That's a pretty strong recommendation in that video Sarvo.

Quote Originally Posted by BMcB View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback. Plenty of food for thought. That's a pretty strong recommendation in that video Sarvo.
    Yes - from what I have witnessed Utting has no reason or incentive towards any bias
    But - yes - if you are in no need for the Bluetooth connection - I as many know - there is a huge plus for better with the Delta glass/clarity etc - especially in fading light (something Range guys prob not require but hunters most certainly do)

Quote Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
    I wasn't impressed with either after running geovids for a few years. I really wanted to like them as the Ballistocs portion of the Geovids is pretty shit to be honest even the newer Bluetooth version. Had heard the vortex where mint but it was pretty clear the glass wasn't even in the same class as the Liecas and was much more comparable to the Diamondback HDs. Can't expect them to be perfect for that price but having seen a few posts on here I'm glad I looked through a set. I don't like how the sigs feel and felt they had a blueish tint that I didn't like preferred the Vortex. Best I have looked through where actually a set of 8x52 zeiss rangefinding binos that where honesty good enough Id consider buying them. But will wait until there's a better ballistic function. The Vortex also can be had with applied ballistics installed.
    The new Geovids (with improved EHR algorithm factoring angle/temp/pressure) in conjunction with a custom cut yardage turret is where it’s at.

I’ve been trailing it over the last few weekends out to 600 yards and I’m seriously impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tui4Me View Post
    The new Geovids (with improved EHR algorithm factoring angle/temp/pressure) in conjunction with a custom cut yardage turret is where it’s at.

I’ve been trailing it over the last few weekends out to 600 yards and I’m seriously impressed.
    Which model? The new 3200.coms? I have the HD Bs and its annoying as can only store one profile and it has to be put on memory card that takes forever. Plus the Leica ballistics app is pretty outdated. The new bluetooth looks much better but wasn't sure if the ballistics is better now.

Quote Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
    Which model? The new 3200.coms? I have the HD Bs and its annoying as can only store one profile and it has to be put on memory card that takes forever. Plus the Leica ballistics app is pretty outdated. The new bluetooth looks much better but wasn't sure if the ballistics is better now.
    I’m using HD R 2700 which can’t store ballistic profiles.

If you setup a yardage turret on your scope based on your own ballistic data for 0 ft altitude and 58deg F, just let the EHR calculator in the Geovids work out the ‘corrected’ distance and dial the turret to whatever range it tells you.

I’m still in the process of testing it but it’s been on the money so far.

From my experience dialling a scope using a custom turret is the fastest and easiest method and now I have ‘true ballistic range’ function that actually takes air pressure and temp into the equation I’m no longer guessing when it comes to shooting on an incline.
    Sarvo likes this.

BMcB - apologies for hi jacking your thread mate. I have watched very good reviews regarding the Deltas on YouTube. Worth adding to your list for consideration.
    Last edited by Tui4Me; 03-08-2021 at 09:51 PM.

No worries Tui.
    My take on it - not least due to the dollars involved is that having ballistic software exterior to the binos allows for the use of various programs - shooter etc. It's a little less convenient but more flexible. I'll be using them for everything from .22 field shoots to ELR matches out to a mile over a variety of calibers as well as when hunting.