Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Considering a .22 Takedown

Quote Originally Posted by Fireflite View Post
    No I hadn't.
    Exposed mag and no fore end might (only might) put it down the list a little!
    I never found the missing fore end an issue. I put a barrel clamp quad rail on it and ran a under barrel spotlight for possums. Marlin will be way lighter than the Browning.

Browning on TM https://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/hun...1413504238.htm

Here's my papoose
    Name:  2013-09-02 15.04.02.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  997.2 KB
    Fireflite likes this.

Name:  DSC01027.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  473.7 KB
    gadgetman likes this.

[QUOTE=hotbarrels;636703]I never found the missing fore end an issue. I put a barrel clamp quad rail on it and ran a under barrel spotlight for possums. Marlin will be way lighter than the Browning.

Browning on TM https://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/hun...1413504238.htm

Yes, it looks like nearly 2lbs lighter which is great!

Same mate as mentioned above is bringing a Magpul stock back from the States next month so will be interesting. Will still be heavy but the ammo/mag carry option looks good.
    The way it folds in half is really neat - I reckon it'd only weigh around 3kgs or so.

Serious Shooters in Chch had several SA-22's in various guises including the Remington version (Model 241 ??) from around $500
    Fireflite likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    The way it folds in half is really neat - I reckon it'd only weigh around 3kgs or so.
    The folding part does look good! However after checking out the spec's on the papoose at 3 1/4lbs or just under 1.5kg's it's really hard to beat so far!

I am selling a cz 511. One thumb screw and it's in half.

I'm a CZ fan but not what I wan't for this. Flick me a PM with some pic's and price as I may consider it as an additional option!

I've had an older Browning SA22 and a Marlin Papoose for similar reasons as you state, something light and compact to carry and be able to deal with a possum or simply to stalk a hare in the tussock in a quiet moment. I liked the Browning more but it was heavier. I know you don't want a single shot but for myself when I saw the Chiappa little badger single shots I had to have one, people smile as soon as they see it, it's great fun, super compact, light, accurate and quiet with a suppressor. Being single shot adds to the thrill of the hunt, I really like it

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    kristopher likes this.

The folding part does look good! However after checking out the spec's on the papoose at 3 1/4lbs or just under 1.5kg's it's really hard to beat so far!
    You can easily shoot the Papoose single handed, either shouldered or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Brakelie View Post
    I've had an older Browning SA22 and a Marlin Papoose for similar reasons as you state, something light and compact to carry and be able to deal with a possum or simply to stalk a hare in the tussock in a quiet moment. I liked the Browning more but it was heavier. I know you don't want a single shot but for myself when I saw the Chiappa little badger single shots I had to have one, people smile as soon as they see it, it's great fun, super compact, light, accurate and quiet with a suppressor. Being single shot adds to the thrill of the hunt, I really like it

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    I have a Thompson Centre single shot dedicated 22LR, the scaled down version that is a scale copy of the G2. Its designed for kids, but it is smaller and lighter than even the Papoose. Heaps of fun in camp.

I have had the papoose, Ruger takedown and the Norinco copy of the Browning takedown. All three have advantages and disadvantages nd I wil list them

Papoose
    + Weight -lightest of the three
    + Carry case is compact as well but scopes can be awkward depending on size.
    - no fore end to hold, but they are light enough that they don't need a great deal of support.

Ruger
    +Same feel and size as a normal ruger- but this makes it the same weight so not as light and compact as the Papoose
    +Same accessory range as Ruger 10/22s. Same mags, same scope bases etc.
    +simplest and easiets take down function of the three rifles.
    - Can fit three or four papoose's in their carry bags in the same box the ruger, in its bag, comes in. Much bulkier. More pockets = more space.

Browning
    +Slender and ambidextrous if a lefty wants to use it.
    +Fairly simple take down but not as easy as the ruger
    - Do not wear gumboots if you dont want ejected hot shells thrown in them.
    Price - from memory it would be the dearest of the two but 2nd hand ones pop up at reasonable prices.

All three are reasonably good rifles. And I liked all three when I had them. Which one would I get now if I had to choose one - Papoose all the way. A very light simple and reliable package. I would not be disappointed if someone gave me either of the other two and I would use them, but the papoose has the edge.
    Fireflite likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    Browning
    - Do not wear gumboots if you dont want ejected hot shells thrown in them.
    I well remember that problem using my uncles one when I was a kid!
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

I had a Rossi Pump action,it was a copy of the Winchester 62.
    Cracking little Rifle.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Gevarm or unique two old rifles no longer in production but still occasionally seen. Both fit your requirements and are slim lined a delight to carry and "conceal" in a pack
    Fireflite likes this.