Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Custom Rifles what do you think?

Whats the full barrel bedding like? Assuming its day pack rather then bipod rifle for longer shots.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

The beading is very tidy, i have only hunted with mine without a bipod so far but did use one at the range to see the difference and it was about an inch lower POI i think

U
    Quote Originally Posted by TJM View Post
    Recently sold my Sako Finnlite 243 which I now regret.
    Will replace it soon and I was very happy with it for a bush hunting rifle.
    Are any of you using a locally custom made rifle for bush hunting and if so which maker
    and how do they perform? The weight fell and performance of the Sako was pretty good
    but Ive seen comments that for the out lay a custom rifle may be better?
    Did you sell the 85 with the intention of building a custom or have something else in mind?

Personally I don't think cost should be a factor in your consideration when deciding between custom and factory.Custom's ALWAYS blow out in cost and in 9 times out of 10 you end up with an inferior rifle to a nice factory gun.

If you want something very specific that is not available in factory or you just want a project then that's cool otherwise buy factory.

I've been there and done that, WAY to many times, and I'll pretty much only do factory these days.
    gimp and Dreamer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TJM View Post
    Recently sold my Sako Finnlite 243 which I now regret.
    Will replace it soon and I was very happy with it for a bush hunting rifle.
    Are any of you using a locally custom made rifle for bush hunting and if so which maker
    and how do they perform? The weight fell and performance of the Sako was pretty good
    but Ive seen comments that for the out lay a custom rifle may be better?
    Name:  Sako-Carbonlight.jpg
Views: 1830
Size:  21.6 KB
    7mmsaum, Dreamer, Toby and 1 others like this.

As someone posted in another thread, " factory is the new cool"..... choose wisely.

B
    7mmsaum and kokako like this.

Factory is fine for Bush hunting, but if you want an all round rifle that can Bush hunt one day, then shoot something a kilometer away the next day...you'll probably be looking at a custom.

A tricked out Remington will cost much the same as a new sako, but weigh much less and shoot better.

Shot this group today, cold barrel, fisrt shot hit a touch high (by my index finger), so I dialed two clicks down... next three shots only about 2" apart, at just under 900y range. Last year I used the same rifle in the roar...shot a few stags at 5m to 20m...such a versatile rifle with 3-15 scope.

I've owned plenty of sako's, tikka's etc...none of them can grouped like this rifle at longer range. But all of them were fine for bush hunting....but why not own a rifle that can do it all?

Kj
    Last edited by kimjon; 12-04-2015 at 10:49 PM.
    Blaser and camo wsm like this.

Why are all the antler tips bound up with tape ?
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Looks like the tapes holding tube which I guess is so tips dont break in transport
    BRADS likes this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Looks like the tapes holding tube which I guess is so tips dont break in transport
    Guessing to keep a pilot happy?
    Maybe to not get shot carting it out.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kimjon View Post
    Factory is fine for Bush hunting, but if you want an all round rifle that can Bush hunt one day, then shoot something a kilometer away the next day...you'll probably be looking at a custom.

A tricked out Remington will cost much the same as a new sako, but weigh much less and shoot better.

Shot this group today, cold barrel, fisrt shot hit a touch high (by my index finger), so I dialed two clicks down... next three shots only about 2" apart, at just under 900y range. Last year I used the same rifle in the roar...shot a few stags at 5m to 20m...such a versatile rifle with 3-15 scope.

I've owned plenty of sako's, tikka's etc...none of them can grouped like this rifle at longer range. But all of them were fine for bush hunting....but why not own a rifle that can do it all?

Kj
    So what Cal and barrel length did you get made up. I am also looking at some options of custom or high end factory at moment

That's with a 7mmwsm, 26" barrel. It's a tad long...but being barrel heavy (carbon fibre stock) it carries in the hand really well, so the long barrel doesn't stick out very far like a heavy stocked rifle would. Only weighs 8.5lb so hardly a chore to carry, unlike my old mauser was!

Kj

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Guessing to keep a pilot happy?
    Maybe to not get shot carting it out.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're onto it, kept jet star baggage handlers happy :-)

TJM
    Cheers for the feedback,, thought there would be more feedback from the custom owners, maybe the high price keeps them for the lucky few who can afford them.
    Shouldn't have sold the Sako hmmmm

I guess a lot of the custom rifle builds may be for medium to longer range setups, and
    For bush hunting there may be no real world benefit,
    Just comes down to what you want out of your rifle and going
    Custom just gives you the option of a heap of different calibres
    Stock options etc.
    Danny likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    You're on the right track with the sako just get a man caliber
    270!!!!!!!!
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals