Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: CZ 527 Mauser Feed Issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    I had a quick look on google and its not a new problem sadly - one recommendation was to cycle cases repeatedly and watch for wear - may get to see if there is a tight spot - some indication problem can go with use - good luck and ohh how new warranty ???
    I know that the dud rounds u was cycling through have scratches running the length of the case. This would indicate its catching on the mag?

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Mine used to scratch the shit out of my brass(17H), got the dremmel out and polished up the lips. Much better. Mine feeds fine, I've always thought the bolt cycled better when using the bolt handle where it meets the bolt or using my thumb on the back of the bolt if that makes sense
    Muttonguts likes this.

[QUOTE=Rn-85;1531134]I know that the dud rounds u was cycling through have scratches running the length of the case. This would indicate its catching on the mag?

My 222 did bind also, so I polished the living bejesus on the top lips of the mag. The mag metal seemed to be stamped with raw edges during manufacture with no or very little finishing. This did improve it but 600 odd rounds later if you don’t close the bolt like you mean it, you can still feel it grip. The thing that really got up my hooter was how it used to bind when charging the magazine. The binding combined with the strong spring was a pain in the arse. All good now, not perfect but got technique sorted.
    If it flies, floats or f#cks, your better off to rent it

What, exactly, is it doing when you try and push a round forward off the magazine.

So it jams at this point.

So I think there are a few problems.

1. The lips are leaving scratches on the cases and needs a polish

2. The rim isn't feeding into the mauser action and because of this the round is pointing to high and not feeding into the chamber. This is as per the photo.

3. Loading by pushing the centre of the bolt home tends to result in a cleaner action. Using the bolt handle tends to make it bind early on in cycling process.

Also note; rounds 4&5 tend to bind up more potentially due to less spring pressure forcing the rim into the clip.

So I notice that the mag is sitting as per the image on the last round. If I pause before it binds drop the mag and give the round a push from the bottom the rim goes into the clip and it feeds beautifully so potentially I need to give the mag a clean up first.

https://youtu.be/2Wa1bTLk70Y?si=Ilf78UZijCzkbCJO

I've noticed if I push down on the mauser clip, while holding the bolt, the case slides into the slot more easily so putting a slight curve on the clip will add that pressure when it's in the action and the hopefully less pressure will be needed to feed the bullet into the bolt.

This is the solution in the video, so might give that a crack.

Mag not alighned properly? Had that with my mossturd

If it has the Mauser type controlled feed, then sounds like the extractor needs a bit of TLC. The extractor may not be polished enough, or the leading edge maybe a bit too proud or aggressive. Or there may not be sufficient gap between the bolt face and the extractor to allow the rim to click in nicely. But, this should be done very slowly and carefully, with lots of tips and knowledge gleaned from the clever buggers on here. Cos if you get it wrong, youre up for a new extractor, and that wont be easy to find, @gundoc would be well worth talking to.

Well I rolled the extractor as per the video and it seems to have improved. I don't think this is a long term solution as the extractor would be a spring and will go back to its old shape.

I think your correct, the extractor needs some attention.

Possibly the mag too but it's struggling to get the rim behind the extractor.

Quote Originally Posted by Rn-85 View Post
    So it jams at this point.

So I think there are a few problems.

1. The lips are leaving scratches on the cases and needs a polish

2. The rim isn't feeding into the mauser action and because of this the round is pointing to high and not feeding into the chamber. This is as per the photo.

3. Loading by pushing the centre of the bolt home tends to result in a cleaner action. Using the bolt handle tends to make it bind early on in cycling process.

Also note; rounds 4&5 tend to bind up more potentially due to less spring pressure forcing the rim into the clip.

I have the same issue with mine in 223, been trying to fix it for a while with no luck. Thinking of going back to a tikka....

The extractor sounds like it's not clicking over the rim of the case correctly, camming the case to one side and binding the action up. Mauser's are notorious for this, the dreaded Mauser extractor 'click' as everything sorts itself into place on the way into the chamber.

A trip to a gunsmith would probably be in order to sort it as it's easy to cock it up if you aren't onto it. Then it won't work at all...

The mag polish job you mentioned to stop the cases getting scratched up is fairly easy to perform, and low risk. Just take the minimum off to remove the problem (sharp edges) and no more. As someone mentioned, the Mauser actions were designed to be operated by men getting shot at - they don't tend to like being girly'd about (apologies to girls but that's the easiest way to describe this). A smartly worked bolt with a lightly oiled boltway to reduce binding does wonders for these actions and tends to fix all manner or issues with feeding. Unfortunately where we use them (in tight bush up close to animals where we don't want excess noise) slapping a bolt aggressively is not something we want!

I had this issue with a Syrian M48a action I built into a sporter - took a long time and a lot of polishing to get it to cycle without the click or binding or jamming and as part of that I had to get the extractor's claw welded up to extend it as I shortened the claw to aid it slipping over the case rim. That didn't help the feeding until I ground the extractor's spring tail pad down to reduce the spring tension inside the receivers bolt raceways which reduced the binding and the tension on the claw. This meant that the extractor claw was then too short to reliably grab the case rim (odd occasion of popping out from under the claw) so it needed to be repaired and reground (a good tig welder is your saviour!!!). There was a lot more work involved in reshaping the bolt face rim channel to remove the binding here (this was a fixed dual stack mag not a detachable single) and I replaced the bottom metal with the solid metal Swedish M96 type (the M48a is an intermediate length action the same as the M96). Going for the Swedish bottom metal fixed the issues with the rounds hanging up and jamming half way through the feed process - the final step was a careful polish and slight reshape of the feed ramp and polish of the feed rails. This resulted in a Mauser action that actually properly feeds .308 rounds no matter how you work the bolt fast, slow, stopping half way, dumping a round into the action and not feeding it from the mag (this is usually an absolute requirement for a Mauser controlled round action as normally the claw is likely to be damaged by not feeding from the mag so that the case rim engages under the extractor). I can also empty the mag by sort stroking the bolt to release the rounds from the mag rails and then drop them straight out of the action onto a flat surface - all without stuffing up the 'controlled round feed' advantages when you work the bolt normally. So fixing your action to work correctly can be done but it takes a heap of methodical and pendantic work and it's easy to cock it up,
    Last edited by No.3; 28-12-2023 at 11:58 AM.
    rupert likes this.

In you photo it looks like the front of the follower is too low. Check there are no burrs jamming it and try reversing the magazine spring.
    Marty Henry and Shamus_ like this.

Did u buy new
    Fk it return it...
    AS A dealer I would have bitched to sales rep. U shouldn't have to do anything
    Still one of the best action imho

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    In you photo it looks like the front of the follower is too low. Check there are no burrs jamming it and try reversing the magazine spring.
    Yep got in before I mentioned it!