Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Delisle Carbine

Hell! Even I know I am slow to deliver but I won't compromise on quality and I am not driven by profit, I just enjoy making them. As I am retired and endeavouring to enjoy what is left of my life by wandering around the hills as much as possible with my rifle, I still spend more hours in the workshop that my wife is happy with. I currently have 4 De Lisles under construction (and several other projects as well) and I will complete them in due course. If there is any younger tradesman with the money, ability and interest to take the job on then the whole replica weapon shebang (drawings, patterns, jigs, stock of components, existing orders, machine tools, etc.) is available for sale. The hills are calling!

Please excuse my ignorance but can someone explain the history and significance of these rifles ? They look interesting just curious what's special about them ? Thanks

They were developed and manufactured during WW2 for behind-the-lines use by the Commandos, SOE agents, etc. specifically for the silent killing of sentries. They were also used to great effect in Burma for shooting Japs as they sat in the back of trucks travelling on jungle roads. 5 or 6 men with De Lisles concealed along a 10 mile stretch of jungle road, shooting 1 Jap each from each vehicle in total silence played havoc with Japanese morale. There were only about 200 made and they are extraordinarily rare in private hands anywhere in the World, hence the market for good replicas. I have been fortunate to have handled a couple of originals in the UK and was allowed to photograph, disassemble and measure them.
    veitnamcam, viper, 40mm and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    They were developed and manufactured during WW2 for behind-the-lines use by the Commandos, SOE agents, etc. specifically for the silent killing of sentries. They were also used to great effect in Burma for shooting Japs as they sat in the back of trucks travelling on jungle roads. 5 or 6 men with De Lisles concealed along a 10 mile stretch of jungle road, shooting 1 Jap each from each vehicle in total silence played havoc with Japanese morale. There were only about 200 made and they are extraordinarily rare in private hands anywhere in the World, hence the market for good replicas. I have been fortunate to have handled a couple of originals in the UK and was allowed to photograph, disassemble and measure them.
    Didn't know about the Burma history. I thought the de-Lisles were just a WW2 product that never fully reached their WW2 'market'. They obvioulsy reached their Far East market. Hate to think how the Japanese must have taken those gratuitous pot shots out on the civilian population. Behind the lines fighting is a very messy affair where right and wrong is confusing.
    Last edited by Cordite; 20-11-2018 at 04:00 PM.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

They were used as late as Desert Storm
    40mm likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Wow very very cool thanks guys

What sort of money are we talking for a repro De Lisle @gundoc?

Ballpark is fine.

Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    What sort of money are we talking for a repro De Lisle @gundoc?

Ballpark is fine.
    $2500.
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Gun jesus likes them carbeeeens
    Sneaky covert operations - love it