Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Dodgy recoil lug

An easy way to check the action is to do up the action screws snug, stand the rifle vertical and loosely put fingers on either side of the barrel so the pads of your fingers are on the side of the barrel and the tips are touching the edges of the barrel channel. Then loosen the front action screw. You should not feel the barrel move.

I had a crack at bedding a mates old m70 .243
    I've bedded a bunch of different rifles with no issues. This one I had a great idea of keeping it warm with a light in the box. After 20mins I popped out to check it and it was too hot to touch 100watt bulb was way over kill.
    I found out the next day that this had melted off all the release agent (kiwi polish) and glued it in the stock.
    After drilling all around the front action screw I got it out. Busted a few impact driver bits before attempting drilling it free.
    Then it was a desperate hour in the freezer as I still couldn't get the stock off. This worked after the 20th desperate hit.

Repaired the front action screw hole in the stock and bought a new set of Forster m70 action screws.

Got it in the end! All mint!

My mate is over the moon with it as the bottom metal all works properly now. Haven't accuracy tested yet though.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

LOL, I bet that was a bad day. I shouldnt laugh - I am waiting on a Winchester 70 to cure at the moment. The clock dings at midnight tonight...
    Micky Duck likes this.

I believe a hot water bottle and wrapped with towels then WAIT 24hrs is the proper procedure.......its a looong 24hrs.

Bedding is not for people in a rush